Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Tell me how I had a phone feeler, followed by an in-person interview, and then a meeting with the COO two days later and after she directly told me "We'll be in touch over the next few days"... it's been a week and no replies :frown: :frown: . I reached out this morning with a follow up email and I'm so tempted to call but I think at that point I should leave it be. Thoughts? Just sucky because all three phases went well. In fact, the COO had said the team liked me and wanted me to meet her before she left on maternity leave. So you can understand why I'm frustrated not even getting a "Sorry we went another direction" email, if that's the case.

I want to trust that "Over the next few days" truly means they needed some time, but I'm getting the vibe they won't be reaching out.

No sooner did I post ^ did I receive an reply a minute ago. Unfortunately the job was offered to someone else, but they appreciate my energy and believe I could still be a great member of their team in the future if they hold onto my resume.

Is that more or less a b.s. response? I'll gladly let them hold onto it in either case.

it usually is B.S., although my dad and I were called years later for jobs that we initially didn't get.

Well patience is a virtue. I got hit up Wednesday evening from this company asking if I was still interested. An offer last night, which I accepted this morning :pimp: .

I need some help shaking off these nerves about giving in my two-weeks tho :wow: .

Well patience is a virtue. I got hit up Wednesday evening from this company asking if I was still interested. An offer last night, which I accepted this morning :pimp: .

I need some help shaking off these nerves about giving in my two-weeks tho :wow: .
Congrats!

The company was there before you, it'll be fine after you leave. I also look at if my company included an "At-will" clause in the contract. If so, I just think "Hey, they could have fired me at any point. I'm out."

But most importantly, you're doing what you believe is best for you. Anyone else at your company presented with a better oppourtunity would take it. Just type up your letter, short and sweet: Pleasure working with you... resigning from my position effective x date... Will help facilitate transition... Wish the company well in the future...

Ask your boss for a few minutes, just say you found an opportunity more aligned with your goals, hand/email them the letter. Hear what they have to say, leave, then coast for the next 2 weeks.

Congrats @macbk -- I'm assuming the new role is higher salary?

Don't give you 2 weeks' notice too early. I took a few remaining vacation days before I came back and gave notice.

what's the difference @Slighted?
I've heard horror stories of people putting in their 2 weeks early (1-2 months before leaving) and then getting fired. Because they were at-will employees, their bosses didn't have to tell them why.

I played it relatively safe --

1) Signed new offer + did background check/everything else with new job

2) Used up my remaining paid vacation days while doing all this paperwork with the new job

3) Confirmed with new job that everything was good to go + confirmed the start date

4) Gave notice on Monday (new job start date = 2 Mondays later)

5) Worked my last 2 weeks at the old job

Goal: Sign all the paperwork, background check, etc. with the new company before giving in your notice. You only want to give notice when everything is good to go at your new job and confirmed by HR, etc.

Last edited:
macbk macbk Never Ever Feel Bad About Going Hard - You Gave It Ya Best, That Decision Was Out Of Your Hands. You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take. Rock On!

The Waiting Game Is Brutal - About To Call A Job I Had An Interview For On The 21st. Spoke To The Supe The Other Day, Said To Call Back Later In The Week. On That Note BRB. Wish Me Luck.

Haven't even applied to anything in the past week and a half. All stuff I applied to and interviews for i didn't get

**** is so ridiculous

Haven't even applied to anything in the past week and a half. All stuff I applied to and interviews for i didn't get

**** is so ridiculous
While deflating, this time of year more than others is when you should keep applying. The holidays hit, most companies won't be hiring until the next budget is available.

How do you guys feel about staffing agencies? I just started to send my resume to some agencies, because I wasn't getting too many interviews applying through companies' websites.

How do you guys feel about staffing agencies? I just started to send my resume to some agencies, because I wasn't getting too many interviews applying through companies' websites.

I'm personally not a fan, but they are becoming increasingly important in the job search. Employers are outsourcing their headhunting to save money.

every job i had came from a staffing agency lol they usually hire on the spot no questions asked

But most importantly, you're doing what you believe is best for you. Anyone else at your company presented with a better oppourtunity would take it. Just type up your letter, short and sweet: Pleasure working with you... resigning from my position effective x date... Will help facilitate transition... Wish the company well in the future...

Ask your boss for a few minutes, just say you found an opportunity more aligned with your goals, hand/email them the letter. Hear what they have to say, leave, then coast for the next 2 weeks.

Appreciate the words man. A letter won't be necessary for my scenario, but I already know my boss is going to do all he can to try and convince me. He may even offer me more $, but it's really not about that. Yes, my salary is going to be higher at the new company, but if I were to stay where I am now, I'd still be miserable. I have to hit him with a reality that I am young (one of the youngest in the office) and need to be in a position where I can grow, and receive benefits (401k, etc). It's really a no-brainer that I am leaving, to me my only concern is that awkwardness for the next few weeks before I leave for good.

Congrats @macbk
-- I'm assuming the new role is higher salary?

Don't give you 2 weeks' notice too early. I took a few remaining vacation days before I came back and gave notice.

Yup, theres an increase in salary. Better area too. Only thing I am losing out on is the commute; I drive to where I work at now but will have to get on a bus (if I don't drive and park) and then the train. Only a few stops into the city though, so it won't be the worst ride every day.

I'm going to have to give my 2 weeks tomorrow because the new company wants to get their end going for me. Though, I don't know what start date they are looking for. I almost hope they say right after the New Year, so I can have some down time for a few days/week. But they may use the quite time at the end of the month to jump start training.

I like it cause you earn a higher wage overall but you sacrifice certain benefits

Left my job of 3 years for what I was told would be greener pastures .
Turns out it's not, I left on good terms did my job all my managers like me and tried hiring me back. DM took it personal that I left and **** it down.
Now I'm in the process of going to another district. So damn stressful .
Currently I'm overworked / under paid. There's less stress coming from management by a long shot because it's more laxed but it increases my stress in terms of money flow and bottom line not worth it.
I can deal with stress if at least I'm banking can't stand having to worry about how Ima pay xyz.
**** that burning bridges ****. Corp world is so bs

Last edited:
My boss made it super difficult for me when I told him last night where I expect awkwardness the rest of the way. Telling me to "think it over, you've built so much here to possibly make a bad decision by leaving" :rolleyes

I told him 401K was being offered to me and he goes "If that's something they are offering we can work on that here". So, if I NEVER brought it up, that just shows he would have never extended the offer to me.

I just want to get in there this morning, tell him I've truly committed to my decision to leave, and keep it moving. I don't want to burn any bridges either.

Last edited:
Man you need to revel in the awkwardness.

When I tried to leave my first job on two separate instances it became super awkward.

The first was when a firm I was interviewing with requested three references, two of which had to be from my current employer (They should really see the folly in this). So I ask one of my coworkers and my current supervisor to do it. The firm comes back to me and informs me that my references didn't come back as well as they would have hoped, in fact they were bad. Come to find out my current supervisor likely gave me a scathing referral. Unreal. Needless to say my interactions with him were not great from that point onward. Lucky for me I had my performance reviews so I was able to combat that nonsense.

The second instance is when I received my current job offer and put in my two weeks. Management was on their weekly conference call and someone began to question how I got to the job and suggested that it was given to me solely through personal connections. I know this because the woman who was mentoring me at the time was on management as well.

I never called them out on either instance, just take satisfaction in the fact that you know you're leaving for greener pastures and they're mad about it.

You can't burn the bridge if you just go in settle all your open items and don't rub it in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom