Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

peja, ur a hater lol.  get off my internet loser.

roll.gif
roll.gif

ohh Bob, you crack me up

Has anybody worked for Verizon here or does anybody know how hard it is to get hired by them? I heard they make bank and are pretty flexible if you're going to school.

Originally Posted by RareAirBreeds23

Has anybody worked for Verizon here or does anybody know how hard it is to get hired by them? I heard they make bank and are pretty flexible if you're going to school.
Cell phones = big money = unreal job competition. Sell yourself like never before, prior experience usually runs that whole show though.

Had a group interview yesterday for the Customer Service & Sales Rep. position at Wells Fargo, which is a dual role between a personal banker and teller.  Pays 15-16 dollars an hour + commission based incentives.  I killed the interview and now have a 1 on 1 interview with the branch manager 
pimp.gif

I'll keep y'all posted but its looking good!

So my job search began today. I turned in an application and had a brief interview with the recruiter and the application has been sent to the manager. Just gotta play the waiting game. Hopefully they'll hire me, if not it's not the end of the world. I'll just sit on the unemployment check, vacation and severance pay the former company owes me.

Not good lying on the resume. Don't they do a background check?

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Sup its 4:30am

man yall need to really start enhancing ur resume if your having a hard time getting interviews.. aka just st8 up lie on them.
i put that i was a graduate on my resume.. i haven't even finished high school yet.works best for entry-level jobs though.

the guy with an english degree... u should just change ur whole major on ur resume. make it more technical than just english. ex. put down ur a writer instead of a english major etc.
we got engineers, health/science professionals, ppl in finance, english majors etc that have posted in this thread
yet this has been the best advice thus far... Where you work at bro?

I'm going on 2 months of being laid off. The only interview i have got so far was for door to door sales.

need some advice from someone that has worked for a big company regarding the hiring process

first i went in for a interview then back the next day to do paper work that same day i had to take a hair sample

a couple days go by didn't hear from her..finally i called her and she said i passed the hair sample

then she gave me a date to go and take my physical and also said "we will schedule you for work after physical results, we get the results the same day"

i took my physical waited for the call that day (no call) finally after about 3-4 days i email her asking if i passed the physical

she replied back with "Hello Your physcial was a success! we'll get in touch with you soon!"

its been a week since that last email i emailed her yesterday saying "any word on when i start work?" no reply yet. i also turned down two job offers because of this job! ...#%+ IS TAKING SO LONG? i Need $

Need some advice & quick, for those of you who have had jobs at Target or have gotten interviews for them--

I just applied for a position at Target to rack some experience under my belt.

During the summer, I applied for 40+ jobs via online & none have given me a call. Some of the apps said do not call so I listened. Because of the lack of call backs, I'm kind of discouraged...

This time around I really want to increase my chances of getting the job so should I stop by the store or call the store to talk to who ever does the hiring or what ever or should I really just wait it out & hope they call me?

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Need some advice & quick, for those of you who have had jobs at Target or have gotten interviews for them--

During the summer, I applied for 40+ jobs via online & none have given me a call. Some of the apps said do not call so I listened. Because of the lack of call backs, I'm kind of discouraged...

This time around I really want to increase my chances of getting the job so should I stop by the store or call the store to talk to who ever does the hiring or what ever or should I really just wait it out & hope they call me?

Give them a call. I worked for them back in 06 during Christmas time. Seasonal positions are the best times to hire cuz they really need people and if they like you they'll keep you. I think I had two interviews one with hr and one with one of the store managers. Basic interview questions..strengths weaknesses etc.

i have an interview next week...also trying to see the Marine Corps recruiter this week, if at all possible. hang in there. i promise you that it won't always be the way that it is now. just keep applying and keep thinking positive.

i know its been said before but i'm serious.

Originally Posted by papageorgeo510

I got laidoff this week. It's only been a week and I'm bored out of my mind. What do you guys do with your time?
Work out. Read. Eat. Sounds a lot like prison I guess
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Iamchris

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Give them a call. I worked for them back in 06 during Christmas time. Seasonal positions are the best times to hire cuz they really need people and if they like you they'll keep you. I think I had two interviews one with hr and one with one of the store managers. Basic interview questions..strengths weaknesses etc.
This pretty much. 
During the holiday season they hire like mad and have a lot of hours, but you have to be on your game or you'll get cut when they start letting go off people. I'd say come November if you're still working there start looking for work. They cut hours after the holidays and the store is practically empty--depending on your location.

ill give some tips on what i did... some might not agree but i think its worth it... if u got mad experience especially in corporate get your resume done professionally.... yes you can do it yourself by why not have your resume stand out from everyone else.... the experience is what counts but the presentation sets it apart...i got mine done for a 100 but some is worth up to 300...sounds like a lot in general but if your resume can market yourself better why not spend money on doing just that? next thing grind like theres no tomorrow... apply to 30-50 jobs everyday online since its convenient... use everything yahoo, careerbuilder, craigslist and monster... i did a lot of applying on craigslist because it was small companies that usually gave people like me with little to no experience a shot..take temp jobs if you have too... i graduated in 06 and couldnt find anything in my major so i just did a lot of temp jobs since... its a good experience, you get to network and you get some type of income thats better then unemployment...luckily i found something permanent along the way but nothing great until now... so ya stay motivated and eager to get a job and not discouraged if you don't find anything... you cant get a job overnight you have to work on it and eventually you will get it...

as for interviews be prepared... do your research prior to the interview so you are confident and comfortable...learn as much as you can about that company and also practice on questions they might ask you... and prepare questions to ask during and after the interview... they like when you are prepared and seem interested in the company... also take notes they think you are taking the company and the job seriously so it definitely helps...and when they ask you questions on why you want to work here just make up some BS on why you want to be there... make it seem like they are important... remember when you go on interviews you are competing against other people so you need to over exaggerate on everything you say to set yourself apart... don't lie though...

as far as networking it definitely helps to know somebody... you ever heard that saying hire within and not outside the company... that also applies to people who work at said company and get their friends a job... but at the same time don't rely on your networks to get you a job... instead use them as an option to get a job... don't depend on them to find you something basically... you need to find a job on your own because you control your own destiny...

and last but not least if you need a job take anything... a job is a job... if you have to work in a warehouse and do manual labor all day or work in mcdonalds who cares you getting money at the end of the day... and if you get a low offer from any company take it unless you have several offers then thats a different story...im not going to lie i dont get paid great but its the most money i made ever so i couldnt compare my current salary to anything from my past salary to negotiate something higher... but my benefits are great so i cant complain...

Now that a few days have passed and Ive found this thread. I can vent with a clear head. I lost my job Thursday. I was a graphic designer for a small screenprinting company for a year and three months. I did a great job and earned a slight raise during my tenure there, in addition to gaining vacation pay and health insurance. I knew my job so well, I could do it in my sleep and trained two other graphic designers. So in essence, I was the head designer and knew my job well. Not to mention I was well liked and well received by all of my co-workers.

I made small mistakes here and there, but they were never anything major and never cost the company any money. Anywho, when I clock out for the day on Thursday..I thought everything was normal. Then my boss called me into his office and said he let me go because I made too many mistakes. I ask him "what mistakes?". He couldn't name any and just flat out told me that he couldn't afford to keep me anymore. He then gave me my last check in a envelope and I bounced. I expected to get a termination letter but the letter only said that my benefits would be cancelled on the 1st but I could keep them if I mailed them a check every month. I thought about slashing my boss's tires since he parked right outside, but didn't have anything sharp to puncture his tires.

I was depressed as hell Thursday because my mother has been unemployed for the past month and I usually paid the rent and most of the bills. Granted I will get unemployment with no problems, but I HATE sitting at home and being idle. In addition, my confidence as a designer took a blow and I started to doubt myself and if I was good enough. But the next day, I decided that wallowing in pity wasnt going to solve anything.

So after morale boosts from my girl, my parents, and friends, I have a new attitude and i'm back on the grind. Resume has been updated, business card has been redesigned, and Ive applied for about 8-10 positions since Thursday. I don't look at this as a failure, I look at this as a opportunity to finally command the money that I want. Wish me luck guys

i'm not going to lie; its a struggle to think positive and to be optimistic nowadays.

not that i want it to happen in somebody else's life time, but why did this have to happen in ours? it feels like our generation got the shaft. 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by debs 168

i'm not going to lie; its a struggle to think positive and to be optimistic nowadays.

not that i want it to happen in somebody else's life time, but why did this have to happen in ours? it feels like our generation got the shaft. 
grin.gif

don't be naive. times are extremely tough but other generations have had it much worse.

i'm not naive at all and not concerned about previous generations, to be honest.

i'd almost join a mexican cartel right about now to make money. !%%@.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

grin.gif

don't be naive. times are extremely tough but other generations have had it much worse.

Its true. The Great Depression really had it the worst. The 70s and early 80s too were pretty bad. At least we're all not on the soup lines or living in the projects.

Good news: my ex-boss agreed to write me a letter of reference, so that lets me know that it was due to budget cutting instead of mistakes as far as why I got let go. In addition, a customer I designed for at my old job wrote a glowing review of my work and said I can use it as a reference as well. Hopefully these two things will help out in my job hunt.    

nobody said that it wasn't true (or anything along the lines of us having it worse than previous generations) but why on earth should we be focused on the late 20's/30's and/or the 70's/80's when we live in the present and have our own problems/issues?
dude is either reading too much into what i said, making something out of nothing or both.

%+@%%* are out here struggling daily and this clown calls me naive? 
grin.gif

the black unemployment rate is ridiculous right now. give a damn about back then when i'm living right now. when i said what i said, i was thinking in comparison to the 90's, really. but whatever. feels like when we were in elementary up to high school everything was great and as soon as we come out of college, everything is horrible.

dunno about NT but i know mad ppl that can relate.

Originally Posted by sthebest

grin.gif

Its true. The Great Depression really had it the worst. The 70s and early 80s too were pretty bad. At least we're all not on the soup lines or living in the projects.

speak for yourself. i was in the projects in the late 80's and my mother (and obviously her mom, sisters and brothers) has been homeless before in the 70's. fast forward to now and i have female friends considering selling themselves to eat.
@+*$ is depressing.

i don't recommend it at all to unemployed NTers but to those that come off as naive (heh), read a few blogs/other forums out there and their unemployment sections. you have ppl that have given up, ppl that are homeless, ppl considering lying on their resumes to get entry level positions, etc. etc. all of the above exists and then some. its worse than the media makes it out to be. far worse.

and these congressmen and women seem to not give a @+*$. democrat, republican, independent, libertarian, whatever the hell, this job market is hurting EVERYBODY yet they continue to get on their typical political $%$#!++@.

like i said, its mad hard to stay positive but its all we can do. that and pray. IMO only Jesus can save us from this.

dunno about some of you but the mere thought of being unemployed during what i consider the prime time of life is really depressing. its like a lost decade could really happen, here. who the hell wants to come out of college in "200X" and still be searching for entry level positions in "201X..."
tired.gif

Originally Posted by sthebest

speak for yourself. i was in the projects in the late 80's and my mother (and obviously her mom, sisters and brothers) has been homeless before in the 70's. fast forward to now and i have female friends considering selling themselves to eat.
@+*$ is depressing.

i don't recommend it at all to unemployed NTers but to those that come off as naive (heh), read a few blogs/other forums out there and their unemployment sections. you have ppl that have given up, ppl that are homeless, ppl considering lying on their resumes to get entry level positions, etc. etc. all of the above exists and then some. its worse than the media makes it out to be. far worse.

and these congressmen and women seem to not give a @+*$. democrat, republican, independent, libertarian, whatever the hell, this job market is hurting EVERYBODY yet they continue to get on their typical political $%$#!++@.

like i said, its mad hard to stay positive but its all we can do. that and pray. IMO only Jesus can save us from this.

dunno about some of you but the mere thought of being unemployed during what i consider the prime time of life is really depressing. its like a lost decade could really happen, here. who the hell wants to come out of college in "200X" and still be searching for entry level positions in "201X..."
tired.gif

I totally can relate to where you are coming from. Both of my parents are unemployed. My dad has been out of work for the last 4 years and my mom has been out of work for a month. I've been paying the rent in the apartment that me and my mother share so I know stuff is eff'd up.

I was depressed for two days but feeling down in the dumps wasn't going to solve anything. Instead of focusing on the bad, you have to concentrate on your strengths and what you have going for you. I certainly don't think youre naive bro. And its funny that you mention lying on a resume to get a entry level position. I know a chick who was out of work for two years and and lied on her app to get hired at the job I worked at. My employers found out and fired her after she made too many mistakes. Also keep in mind that the average employee there are in their early-mid 20s and she was 36.

I'm about to find a hot D-List celebrity and make a sex tape which will catapult our fame.
30t6p3b.gif
no jobs are calling back. I'm still waiting to hear back from a temp agency also, which told me they would have something for me two weeks ago
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom