Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

^ Word, when I got laid off they handed me my cobra and looked at the monthly payments. I laughed and kept it moving. haha

Originally Posted by env

have my first real interview after graduating on Friday at 9AM!
Good luck bro. And 'grats to all those above me that landed gigs they were going for.
smokin.gif

So weeks after my interview with the car customization place and the guy assuring that I was his top pick, he has YET to get back to me. I email him on the 15th to find out if I got it yet or not and he says he has to ask his GM. I email him yesterday and he has yet to reply back to me. I call and leave a message for him and he has yet to get back to me. So needless to say, I can forget about that place.
Back to square one for me and having unemployment as a primary source of income 
ohwell.gif
 Screw graphic design, Im thinking of volunteering at the local hospital just to get some fresh air. My mother also says that they hire volunteers easily so thats a plus too.

Keep your heads up everyone
pimp.gif

I've been working for a few months now, but only after a year or so of tirelessly submitting applications and being rejected countless amount of times during interviews. I do think things happen for a reason- just be persistent, keep applying to jobs, keep refreshing your resume if you aren't getting any luck, and try to do what you can to stay on top of your game. The job I have now has its ups and downs, but overall, I think I fell into the perfect "first full time job out of college" situation where I can do a lot of things and hone my craft. Be persistent, and things will work out in the end.
pimp.gif

I have a few quick tips, don't know if they'll help but it's just from my experience:
-Don't be afraid to make your resume longer, especially if you're submitting it online. You need as many keywords as possible that will get the computer system (Taleo, etc.) to not discard your resume.
-Write a cover letter for most jobs. It's time-consuming and may seem like a hopeless effort, but it will increase your chances. I'd recommend making a generic one you can just use for any company (and just sub out a few words here and there), a semi-generic one for a specific industry (i.e. for medical device companies), and if there's a few companies you REALLY want to work for, spend time to make it stand out and write a great one for it.
-It's best to approach interviews like exams. You have to put in the time to research the company, go over your technical skills (especially the specific ones listed on the job description), prepare questions to ask them, etc. I honestly think to be fully prepared for one, you need to spend a couple hours doing these things; you gotta prepare for the curveballs they might throw at you. You'll find that a lot of what you went over might not have been asked in the interview, but it'll make you feel prepared at least and much more confident going in. Once I had this approach, my interview performances got better and better.
-If you don't get the job, just move on and think of it as the company's loss
laugh.gif
. Just learn from it, and think about what you maybe could have done better in the interview- sometimes you truly did as well as you could, but you just didn't get it. There's a LOT of reasons why you won't get a job, and a lot of times it isn't because you didn't prepare well for the interview. Sometimes they just had someone else in mind, someone else with a different type of personality in mind, etc.

So I went into a Temp agency yesterday, filled out an application, and all they had for me was a position as a Salvation Army Bell Ringer. Couldn't believe it.

Anyone see 60 minutes on Sunday? There was a segment on two families where the father didn't have a job and the entire family was reduced to living in a car, washing up at a gas station in AM, going from spot to spot so as not to get the authorities involved. One father was brought to tears while being interviewed because he couldn't provide minimally for his family. Really tough to watch. The state of this country is rough man.

Finally received a job offer yesterday. Praise God!

Graduated in May with my masters. got laid off from my job in July.

been unemployed since but ive had alot of interviews. the job is in my field(Health Care) and with an organization i want to work for but the salary is no where near what I want. Im actually making less than I was at my last job.

i have some other stuff brewing with a start up company that still has some things to do before they can offer me a position but I figured I shouldn't wait around and pass up on this job offer...

Being a professional Im gonna hate starting this job and then quitting so fast but if the job i want becomes available. with a better salary...im ghost! They should understand right?

Really good tips acid.
Following a lot of the ones you mentioned and especially preparing thoroughly really improved my performance in interviews.  2 days in and I love my job.

Originally Posted by thapointguy

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to health benefits and such. How would I go about canceling it and finding a cheaper alternative? Should I just stop paying it and have no benes or do I have to notify them?

call them and tell them to eat a fat ****.  Done.

Good thing I didn't sign up for it yet. Should I? Medical through Kaiser plus Dental. Worth $521 per/month?
sick.gif

Wait so who's paying for cobra? My previous employer right? And not me? I thought once you get laid off cobra is automatically in effect.

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

damn... I didn't realize how bad it was out there... wish everyone out there the best of luck

I knew, but when you lurk some of the stories from your NT fam its depressing.

Originally Posted by KK Sl1der

Broke college student, barely getting by. All my friends have money though.
30t6p3b.gif

Just two more years...

even when you graduate, it's not even guaranteed in this economy. Hopefully, things pick up by the time you're done with school. Good luck!

30t6p3b.gif

Just two more years...

even when you graduate, it's not even guaranteed in this economy. Hopefully, things pick up by the time you're done with school. Good luck!

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

30t6p3b.gif

Just two more years...

times are only getting harder though; when gold drops that'll be a sign of stabilization.

Yeah, one of my friends just graduated in the summer and she's working at Starbucks now...
indifferent.gif

I really don't want the same happen to me, but I know it's very likely. They tell me engineering students
get hired straight out of college, and science related fields are consistently in the top of job availability lists
so I'm still hopeful, but I definitely don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
All I can do is bust my *** and get good grades until then.

Thanks for the wishes fam

SMH @ those applying for COBRA.

BlueShield is $80/month. if you're in the South Bay, i got you on free massages/chiropractic adjustments ALL DAY!!!

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

BTW as a recruitment consultant my job is to land determined, hard-working people like yall jobs so give me a couple months and I will give back to NT.  Right now the market we're working within is pharma, bio-med, etc.  but will be opening up a Accounting/Finance and other divisions relatively soon.
PICK ME

I usually use Career Builder, Indeed, and sometimes college grad
But I have a quick question. Back in late October I had an interview with Kelloggs at their main headquarters, they flew me out, put me up in a hotel and everything. I thought I had a real solid interview, hit all the things I needed to hit, and was real personable. I even made the panel laugh a couple of times after it was all said and done. So right after I get out I do the usual "email them a thank you letter" thing and they said they'll be in touch. I havent heard anything from them since... I've made a couple of follow up calls and emails but havent even gotten replies to those. Its over for me and thats a definite no right? Cause its been a month and a half.

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

I usually use Career Builder, Indeed, and sometimes college grad
But I have a quick question. Back in late October I had an interview with Kelloggs at their main headquarters, they flew me out, put me up in a hotel and everything. I thought I had a real solid interview, hit all the things I needed to hit, and was real personable. I even made the panel laugh a couple of times after it was all said and done. So right after I get out I do the usual "email them a thank you letter" thing and they said they'll be in touch. I havent heard anything from them since... I've made a couple of follow up calls and emails but havent even gotten replies to those. Its over for me and thats a definite no right? Cause its been a month and a half.
IT MAY NOT BE.

FOR THE ENGINEERING JOB I HAVE NOW, I WAS FLOWN OUT FOR AN INTERVIEW THAT WENT WELL. THEN A MONTH LATER I WAS FLOWN OUT FOR A SECOND INTERVIEW THAT ALSO WENT PRETTY WELL. I DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT IT FOR ALMOST 4 MONTHS BEFORE THEY FINALLY CONTACTED ME AND OFFERED A POSITION.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

Congrats Fam. 4 months? That must have drove you crazy. Hopefully the same things going on with me.
REALLY, IT DIDN'T DRIVE ME CRAZY. I WAS HARD ON THE JOB HUNT. AT MY PEAK I WAS PUTTING IN UPWARDS OF 40-50 APPS A DAY. I COULDN'T REMEMBER ALL THE PLACES I WAS APPLYING TO AND HAD ACTUALLY FORGOT ABOUT THEM. FELT GOOD TO GET THAT OFFER THOUGH.

JUST STAY ON THEM, SOMETIMES THE HUMAN RESOURCES PROCESS IS JUST A SLOW PROCESS FOR SOME COMPANIES. AVERAGE TIME OF HIRE FROM FIRST INTERVIEW TO START DATE IS AROUND 6 MONTHS FOR THE COMPANY I WORK FOR NOW.

Wait... 40 apps a day? And here I was thinking I was going hard with my 8-10.... You deserve to be employed.

I just hit up a guy who I know from school who got a job offer there to see what his turnaround time was like. In the meantime I'm gonna apply to way more places clearly I havent been taking this seriously enough

Back
Top Bottom