Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

How does one go about securing time off from your current job for an interview?

I have an interview Thursday for a job that's actually in the field I went to school for, but I don't think the bosses at my 9-5 will just allow me to play hooky. I got emailed about the interview on Friday and I have yet to respond :smh: I don't get PTO at my current job either

How does one go about securing time off from your current job for an interview?

I have an interview Thursday for a job that's actually in the field I went to school for, but I don't think the bosses at my 9-5 will just allow me to play hooky. I got emailed about the interview on Friday and I have yet to respond
mean.gif
I don't get PTO at my current job either
This has happened to me before, and I used to try and get the days off, but later on I just wouldnt show up and take the unexcused absence. What can they do if you "become extremely ill" no ones really going to challenge that or a "family emergency"

Yeah I made the mistake of trying to get the day off and I got the "at least one week in advance" spiel :smh:

I should have just called out. I highly doubt they'd be willing to reschedule since they said they were trying to fail the position fairly quickly

Yeah I made the mistake of trying to get the day off and I got the "at least one week in advance" spiel
mean.gif

I should have just called out. I highly doubt they'd be willing to reschedule since they said they were trying to fail the position fairly quickly
Yup and now if you take it anyways it reflects even worse on you. If its a job I want I dont even chance that.

Its a part of the game though man, at least now you know for the future. I hope they do reschedule for you though.

Today I finally got to make something happen. Put in my two weeks today. Felt so awkward but it really was for the best, I've landed what basically amounts to a dream job today. Company that I always wanted to work for in a role that I think I'm going to flourish in.

Came a long way from when I first started posting in this thread man, from having the most posts in this thread to finally seeing all my NT fam flourish to finally being able to post a story of my own. 

Today I finally got to make something happen. Put in my two weeks today. Felt so awkward but it really was for the best, I've landed what basically amounts to a dream job today. Company that I always wanted to work for in a role that I think I'm going to flourish in.

Came a long way from when I first started posting in this thread man, from having the most posts in this thread to finally seeing all my NT fam flourish to finally being able to post a story of my own. 

Congrats fam!!

Funny little story about my new job...had an interview 2 Fridays ago and it went great. The owner told me that I basically got the job and that I should just come in on Monday morning to start. He said he would call me later that day to confirm but never did. Didn't get a call over the weekend so I was stressed cause this job would be a perfect opportunity for me to pursue my new career path.

So the following Monday morning I show up and owner shows up and there is another guy there too...owner looks at both of us confused. I think to myself that maybe I didn't get the job after all, owner looks at the other dude and tells him that he didn't get the job and that I did. Dude looked pissed and just walks out without saying a word. The owner shows me to my office and starts helping me setup so I can get stared and he gets a text from the guy saying that he is insane and a lunatic for not hiring him :lol: and tells him to go to ******* he**. Fast forward to today and the store and warehouse have been broken into...my office is destroyed and my computers are gone, and a box truck was stolen. The main office is a mess but they went in on my office. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the guy who didn't get the job...

Anyways this job isn't anything special and the pay sucks right now but I'm getting my foot in the door so its a good start. I'm basically running the e-commerce side of his business and dealing with the website, marketing and sales part of it. So far its been a lot easier than I thought, except for the part that I have no idea or experience about the industry so I just try my best when dealing with customer emails and phone calls for products :lol: One thing I did learn from this thread was to not be afraid to be persistent . I sent my resume in, called to see if they got it, called again and got a phone interview, which led to a face to face. So far the owner has been impressed with how quickly I've been able to catch on and work independently. To everyone still looking for work, just stay positive and don't sell yourself short. Believe in yourself and just keep at it until you get what you want!

Pics of my office...

Last edited:
So I have an interview with another company for a full-time position and they want me to complete an interview through Hirevue which is a one way interview online :smh: I've done this before in the past and I feel like it's unprofessional but does anyone have any tips/experience they'd like to share regarding one way online interviews?

Congrats dude!

Im still on the search myself. Its going to be a journey but im ready
@Antidope@Antidope<!--bluecoat_old_onload = window.onload;window.onload = function() { if (bluecoat_old_onload != null) {try {bluecoat_old_onload();} catch (e) {}}bluecoat_fixpopups();};//-->@Antidope@Antidope<!--bluecoat_old_onload = window.onload;window.onload = function() { if (bluecoat_old_onload != null) {try {bluecoat_old_onload();} catch (e) {}}bluecoat_fixpopups();};//-->

Grats fam!

First day of work tomorrow, wish me luck fellas
Congrats man!

Congrats fam!!
Appreciate it you guys. No joke the support that this thread has given to me was a huge part of it. Hoping we all flourish eventually and then theres no reason to even have this thread cause we're all employed and loving what we do.

So I have an interview with another company for a full-time position and they want me to complete an interview through Hirevue which is a one way interview online
mean.gif
I've done this before in the past and I feel like it's unprofessional but does anyone have any tips/experience they'd like to share regarding one way online interviews?
Wow I've never had one of those that sounds annoying 
sick.gif
, how can you even prep for that it seems so scripted. I've done web conference interviews before and the one thing I always do is keep a word document open in the corner of the screen/a second computer if you have one, it makes the questions easier to answer if I have something to read off of and pull info from. 

IDK about anyone else but even when I do those I get fully suited, pants jacket shirt tie the whole thing. Just puts me in a better frame of mind to have the interview. I also feel like pausing is more acceptable in that kind of environment cause you cant feel the eyes looking at you when you have to think of an answer.

So I have an interview with another company for a full-time position and they want me to complete an interview through Hirevue which is a one way interview online :smh: I've done this before in the past and I feel like it's unprofessional but does anyone have any tips/experience they'd like to share regarding one way online interviews?

I've done a teaching interview using HireVue. Dress up like you would for a regular interview and find a place with a nice background. I was able to pause the questions and redo my answers a few times, so I was able to look up information and prepare my answers, and I kept re-recording my responses until I was happy. I used my iphone to do it, but if I had to do it again I'd use a computer with a camera because I dropped my phone while recording and I had to redo a good response :lol:

Last edited:
Funny little story about my new job...had an interview 2 Fridays ago and it went great. The owner told me that I basically got the job and that I should just come in on Monday morning to start. He said he would call me later that day to confirm but never did. Didn't get a call over the weekend so I was stressed cause this job would be a perfect opportunity for me to pursue my new career path.

So the following Monday morning I show up and owner shows up and there is another guy there too...owner looks at both of us confused. I think to myself that maybe I didn't get the job after all, owner looks at the other dude and tells him that he didn't get the job and that I did. Dude looked pissed and just walks out without saying a word. The owner shows me to my office and starts helping me setup so I can get stared and he gets a text from the guy saying that he is insane and a lunatic for not hiring him :lol: and tells him to go to ******* he**. Fast forward to today and the store and warehouse have been broken into...my office is destroyed and my computers are gone, and a box truck was stolen. The main office is a mess but they went in on my office. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the guy who didn't get the job...

Anyways this job isn't anything special and the pay sucks right now but I'm getting my foot in the door so its a good start. I'm basically running the e-commerce side of his business and dealing with the website, marketing and sales part of it. So far its been a lot easier than I thought, except for the part that I have no idea or experience about the industry so I just try my best when dealing with customer emails and phone calls for products :lol: One thing I did learn from this thread was to not be afraid to be persistent . I sent my resume in, called to see if they got it, called again and got a phone interview, which led to a face to face. So far the owner has been impressed with how quickly I've been able to catch on and work independently. To everyone still looking for work, just stay positive and don't sell yourself short. Believe in yourself and just keep at it until you get what you want!

Pics of my office...

:lol: dude had high sodium levels in order to do this. But congrats. Best thing for you to do is start doing research on the market. I don't know if CRM has anything to do w/ it but look into Salesforce, especially since MSFT is considering acquiring them. Might help w/ your skills and knowledge.

antidope antidope Congrats brethren. This thread is definitely a great one

I've done a teaching interview using HireVue. Dress up like you would for a regular interview and find a place with a nice background. I was able to pause the questions and redo my answers a few times, so I was able to look up information and prepare my answers, and I kept re-recording my responses until I was happy. I used my iphone to do it, but if I had to do it again I'd use a computer with a camera because I dropped my phone while recording and I had to redo a good response :lol:

With their's you can't re-do the resposnes and you only have 3 minutes to answer each question with 10 secs to read over the question before your 3min start.

I always try to save a few days and my personal days for future interviews. Even sick days all for future interviews. Until I own my business it's going to be that way.

Still working this job with terrible early hours. Applying to things fit me more especially since I'm getting older.

if you have flex time, go in at the ***-crack of dawn early (6-6:30a) and roll out by 2-3 pm...schedule an interview between 3-5p, at least thats how I've always done it...

saving those vaca or sicktime days are critical for those potential interviews. Always try to fine tune your resumes and make it applicable to the position you are trying to get. May sound simple and redundant, but it can go a long way for the HR personnel scouring over hundreds of applicants for the same listing. And speaking as one who was out of work for a couple months, always try to remain confident in the fact that you will eventually get a call or email from someone is interested.

Lol I don't get sick time at my current job. I was actually able to secure the time off for the interview Thursday but now I have the issue of being totally unprepared. I have a month's worth of beard on my face and the interviewers want me to turn in a sample assignment to test my skillz. My free time is Wiz Khalifa thin bruh.

Gotta get it done tho. I refuse to spend 40 hours of my life per week doing something I don't like doing.

Congrats to Antidope on the flourishment :pimp: we outchea

Last edited:
Good job to the folks who have found jobs and good luck to those still looking.
Word of advice regarding interviews... I've been in a fortunate situation where I have been able to interview candidates. Always research the company, and the job you're applying for. Very important. If you don't have experience, that's fine. We knew that when we pulled your resume. But if asked about past or present job experiences, please be able to speak on what you do/did as if you were training someone. It makes you look like you take whatever role you have seriously. Plenty of people get passed up because they can't speak clearly on what their current or past role was/are. Also, I know people have said this before, but please ask questions at the end. Yes, it matters.

Edit: wanted to add... in regards to experience, you'll be surprised at how many people who just want folks who can learn and or eager to learn. Can you be trained to do the job? Remember, even people with experienced get trained. Don't allow inexperience hold you back.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
This thread has really got me through the past couple of months. Its getting tough out here, I might start making pizzas lol, gotta do what you gotta do.
Any of yall have any luck in the Austin market recently?

What's your guys take on using someone else's address on applications and/or your resume? I'm from Florida but I'm in the process of trying to relocate to the DC Metro Area. Been applying since January but haven't had any luck so far so I'm thinking about using a family friend's Maryland address.

Back
Top Bottom