Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

How long are you calling out for, & how long is the probationary period? To give an extreme example, my probationary period lasted 4 years (teacher) so no way I could go that long without taking a few days off.

If you're taking a day or two off because you feel really sick and they let you go for that, you're better off somewhere else anyway.
Its for 60 days, but i only took friday off. Well see what happens monday.

Was off today and also Monday, office is closed. New job has been awesome so far. A bit overwhelming but that's b/c all the work is brand new to me, but I feel as if I'm getting the hang of the workload nicely. Had a beer in the office with everyone before heading out last night and they catered lunch. Already an upgrade from where I was the last 2+ years.

Was off today and also Monday, office is closed. New job has been awesome so far. A bit overwhelming but that's b/c all the work is brand new to me, but I feel as if I'm getting the hang of the workload nicely. Had a beer in the office with everyone before heading out last night and they catered lunch. Already an upgrade from where I was the last 2+ years.
We all need to link up and talk shop, success, and sexiness.

@macbk

@Antidope

@Slighted  

Last edited:
I start my new job in 2 weeks, first "job" since I graduated in May (I have been working part time at Costco since July). Gonna feel good to finally put some decent money in my pockets and start saving 
Congrats bro I know you've been talking about this for a minute.

graduated 2008 bba with marketing as my major...couldnt find a decent job to save me life...installed cable tv for like 5 years cause it paid the bills...eventually decided to go back to school at a technical college and learn cnc machining and programming...took me a year and a half working an operator position before i landed a set-up job there-knowing it was only a matter of time and all i had to do was pass their aptitude test and id be in...best decision i ever made was to go back to school cause its only 28 credits to get technical diploma and now making decent money with the oportunity to advance if i want to..just thought id share cause i was out of work for almost a year after graduating from university and wondered if it was ever gonna work out but u live and learn and ive learned like many a degree dont guarantee anything

^ Sad to see that a marketing major is relatively useless. I have a few friends who are Marketing majors and working at random jobs.

A bit more Excel at the new job than I anticipated :lol: . I definitely have familiarity with using it over the past few years, but I could always learn more (and I am on the go, but I'd like to take that learning home with me). Ya guys have any links/videos you can post with 'tips & tricks' for learning/maximizing my use of Excel?

Appreciate it! :nthat:

A bit more Excel at the new job than I anticipated :lol: . I definitely have familiarity with using it over the past few years, but I could always learn more (and I am on the go, but I'd like to take that learning home with me). Ya guys have any links/videos you can post with 'tips & tricks' for learning/maximizing my use of Excel?

Appreciate it! :nthat:

Google excel keyboard shortcuts. You save a lot of time by not touching the mouse. It takes time to learn, but it becomes second nature eventually.

tumblr_nmhtbd0WrD1sm6qp8o1_1280.jpg

:lol: just playing congrats.

I wouldn't mine some tips & tricks for knowledge

Some links for Excel shortcuts --

http://www.wstselfstudy.com/resources/WST_Excel_Shortcuts.pdf

http://www.bu.edu/econ/files/2015/04/Exceljet_Excel_Shortcuts_150330.pdf

http://ardent.mit.edu/real_options/ROcse_Excel_latest/Excel 11/Hotkeys.pdf

-------

The main goal is to be really comfortable navigating inside Excel without using your mouse. The first things I learned that really helped:

1.) CTRL + direction key ---> navigate up/down/left/right in a worksheet

2.) CTRL + SHIFT + direction key ---> highlight cells in a direction

3.) CTRL + Page Down/Up ---> go to next/previous worksheet ---> this works in internet explorers like Chrome and Firefox too

4.) SHIFT + Spacebar ---> highlights an entire row

5.) CTRL + Spacebar ---> highlights an entire column

I've been trying to get an entry level position with my economics degree for 3 years. I finally said f it and signed up for a full-time security vehicle patrol job. On the side, I am now working on my A+, Network +, Security +, CCNA, and MSCE certifications hoping one will lead me into a help desk job in the future.

I had an economics degree as well and I'm working in banking...had a few job offers before graduating and they never mentioned my degree. Seems like most job postings ask for a business or business-related degree like Econ. Did you intern?

have you applied to business-related jobs?

You guys should consider the Peace Corps.  That's what I did after college and it changed my life.  Lived in Africa for three years, traveled, got great work experience.  Best decision I ever made.

You guys should consider the Peace Corps.  That's what I did after college and it changed my life.  Lived in Africa for three years, traveled, got great work experience.  Best decision I ever made.

I might as well

Its been 3 months for me. I can't take it anymore. I gotta start working again and pay my bills

I had an economics degree as well and I'm working in banking...had a few job offers before graduating and they never mentioned my degree. Seems like most job postings ask for a business or business-related degree like Econ. Did you intern?

have you applied to business-related jobs?

I didn't intern. I switched to Econ my last couple years in school after tirelessly trying to make a science degree work for me :smh:

The switch was a blessing in disguise but was too late. I finished the degree in a year but didn't intern, voluntary nor network enough.

I've applied to business relate jobs. I started with banking but was only offered part-time teller jobs. I applied for data analyst positions but was underqualifed due to needing a master's in econ and years of experience.

My latest endeavor is tax preparation training and IT certifications to break into any entry level job.

Looking back, I was probably applying to the wrong positions and getting bad advice.

Last edited:
I've gotten so used to networking on Linkedin that I stupidly cold-requested a chick I knew many years ago, to catch up over drinks.

I could've just hit her up on FB. She basically denied my Linkedin request. Now I'll look like a desperate chump if I message her on FB.

Lesson learned: Keep Linkedin to business/career only. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom