Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

You guys should consider the Peace Corps.  That's what I did after college and it changed my life.  Lived in Africa for three years, traveled, got great work experience.  Best decision I ever made.
I might as well

Its been 3 months for me. I can't take it anymore. I gotta start working again and pay my bills
I know the feeling well man, hopefully something works out man 

marketing majors:

i see a ton of copywriting positions literally everywhere

i recently got contacted by a recruiter for L brands copywriting

they were paying 30/hr

this was the week before christmas and i havent heard back

._.

tough for me to land copywriting gigs just because i don't have a professional portfolio, just published works I contributed to.....

but marketing majors have portfolios, right?

or am i bugging?

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview to offer percentage is abysmal.

I wouldn't jump so fast to that conclusion. You could simply have been overlooked for a more qualified candidate.

Nonetheless, just some tips for you to consider when you go in for an interview.

Make sure to study the JD. Make sure you clearly understand the role. If something isn't clear to you, try to find out more information. I feel like a lot of people go into an interview unprepared and end up just regurgitating on their past experiences which is already shown on the CV. Instead, try using those past experiences and relate it to the new role. What can you bring to the table which makes you fit to do the job? Elaborate. Gives examples of how you solved 'xyz' and how you handled 'abc'.

Be confident when you go in. You are who you are, and if you know you're suitable for the job.... Show them why!

Also, try to block out all distractions (my interviewer one time wore a really short skirt :lol:)

Best of luck to all of you! Hoping to hear more good in 2017!

Trust me man, I was and still am the problem. I've done this so many times and done everything you can think of, stuff just wasn't going my way and I can only look in the mirror. The sample size was pretty large too.

My associates degree payin off, Applied science process technology. In 4 years I'll reach top pay $37.00 with a lil OT hit 100k. Working 4 days on, 4 days off. Also after 4 years I can move up in position = mo $$$$ U guys have any questions inbox.

Job was hard to get 2500 applicants, 30 open positions.

Jobs not for mechanical division, its for baytown refinery received another email.

For those wondering what I'll be doing, basically Homer Simpsons job.

Hit that 100k yet ?

Trust me man, I was and still am the problem. I've done this so many times and done everything you can think of, stuff just wasn't going my way and I can only look in the mirror. The sample size was pretty large too.
Startin' to ask myself the same thing. Mike Jax said change starts with 'The Man In The Mirror'.

[emoji]128588[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji] Keep pushing, have my AA so far . Have about a year & half left to get my civil engineering degree . Leave my a spot lol
yea i hear engineers start at 115k salaried. Thats the chemical engineers that we work with, not sure about civil engineers. Exxons updating there application process new website, it will be up February 1st, u may want to check it out.

yea i hear engineers start at 115k salaried. Thats the chemical engineers that we work with, not sure about civil engineers. Exxons updating there application process new website, it will be up February 1st, u may want to check it out.

Thank you so much , yea I figured it'd be petroleum or chemical . I just want my foot in the door , even with an internship.

i'm an ISE student trying to apply for internships and I was wondering if anyone in here could critique my resume and help me with it

In this thread. No degree, I just got a certificate and was making $30/hr. Feel dumb for quitting my job, hated it though, would rather work in a warehouse for half of the pay, no joke :smh:

Well, time to get my @ss back to school

In this thread. No degree, I just got a certificate and was making $30/hr. Feel dumb for quitting my job, hated it though, would rather work in a warehouse for half of the pay, no joke :smh:

Well, time to get my @ss back to school

You don't wanna live that life. Been working an 8.75 an hour 12 hour shift warehouse job for the past few months while getting my certs. **** is slowly killing me on the inside. It's only 4 days a week but I work five to get more OT and my check is still trash.

Certificate in what?

Phlebotomy. **** job. Did it for almost 5 years. If I could do it again, anything but that. :smh: . Even going into sonography instead would pay better, with a sign on bonus.

You don't wanna live that life. Been working an 8.75 an hour 12 hour shift warehouse job for the past few months while getting my certs. **** is slowly killing me on the inside. It's only 4 days a week but I work five to get more OT and my check is still trash.

Too late :smh:

My whole thing was to maxamize my hourly wage and work less while being able to go back to school. I reached my goal, but things fell apart personally in my life. Going back to school currently, but no job now :smh:

Last edited:
Probably a bit off-topic, but curious what y'all think:

Co-workers all had a heated 20-minute argument over whether there should be 1 or 2 spaces after a sentence.

The older folks said 2 spaces, while the 20yo's said 1 space.

What do you guys think?

Co-workers all had a heated 20-minute argument over whether there should be 1 or 2 spaces after a sentence.

What do you guys think?
2 spaces was used for typewriters. It's an outdated standard. Most style guides will tell you to use 1 space.

What do you guys think?
One of my bosses is huge into the double space after a sentence. First person I ever saw do it. He's 40 if we're talking about ages.

Some links for Excel shortcuts --

http://www.wstselfstudy.com/resources/WST_Excel_Shortcuts.pdf

http://www.bu.edu/econ/files/2015/04/Exceljet_Excel_Shortcuts_150330.pdf

http://ardent.mit.edu/real_options/ROcse_Excel_latest/Excel 11/Hotkeys.pdf

-------

The main goal is to be really comfortable navigating inside Excel without using your mouse. The first things I learned that really helped:

1.) CTRL + direction key ---> navigate up/down/left/right in a worksheet
2.) CTRL + SHIFT + direction key ---> highlight cells in a direction
3.) CTRL + Page Down/Up ---> go to next/previous worksheet ---> this works in internet explorers like Chrome and Firefox too
4.) SHIFT + Spacebar ---> highlights an entire row
5.) CTRL + Spacebar ---> highlights an entire column

If I could give you more reps I would. This is gold. I've always wanted some type of formal excel and powerpoint (lowkey, very powerful program. I've seen people make AMAZING stuff with powerpoint) training.

Back
Top Bottom