Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

REALLY LONG READ

So I've been applying to jobs recently... don't know if you remember my other posts... but my current job does not offer any or should I say 0 salary increases... and not only that but I was subject to some subtle racism at work...it cost me $150 by the way to get my resume done but it was well worth it...decided to send my resume out on indeed for an hour last Thursday while working from home... had 4 interviews already... 1 temp agency interviewed me it was a phone interview but a waste of time since they said the company hired someone... second phone interview the actual interview went OK at best... I just didn't do that good since I didn't get my reps in and just lack of practice lol..third and fourth interview was today and it was in person so I took off from work at my current job...

the first interview was straight grilling me asking specific questions on my job description since I had it written in a specific way from the resume writer... but I explained myself just fine..I thought the interview was 7.6/10 at best... the highlights of this company the office has really nice furniture wise and interior it looks like it was renovated or newly built...so whatever its on to the second interview

the second interview went really well... and I say that because the interview lasted for an hour and a half and my manager introduced me to almost everyone in the department...the company or office is a lot smaller, no frills so the interior is nothing special but they have fish tanks, they play music and clothes wise you can dress casual...they actually gave me an offer a few hours later... it is 16k more than my current job and it is a Manager title which I currently don't have....

the first interview they called me back for a second interview and I told them this Thursday I could talk to them since I can meet on my work from home day.... I was thinking I will take this job if the offer will increase... but I am thinking that even if the offer increases I won't have a manager title so I should just decline the second interview all together...what do yall think

So ya I have to give my current job a 2 week notice... it is going to feel so awkward... I will admit I actually like the company, my coworkers, my supervisor and the commute... but I hate that I am being really underpaid... the subtle racism is not a big deal but adds to the pile... and the biggest thing to me is the favoritism... some people there thats been there a while can work from home 24/7 or half the week meanwhile I will be lucky if I can work from home once a week... I told them my pops was in the hospital and I needed to work from home so I can visit him in the hospital everyday and its a closer drive from my house to the hospital instead of work and of course they said no because they made a big deal out of it... Should I even show them my job offer and see if they match or should I just tell them straight up I am leaving and give a 2 week notice... What do yall think
I would just accept the offer, like others have stated sounds like it's time for a change. What made you accept the position at your current employer if they don't give raises?

I would just accept the offer, like others have stated sounds like it's time for a change. What made you accept the position at your current employer if they don't give raises?

I’m a tell my current job tomorrow my 2 weeks notice and then tell the new job I accept the offer…but I took my current job because I was just laid off from my old job and wanted to work again so I took my current job… I didn’t know they didn’t give raises…. At the time when I took the job I got paid 3k more and got a higher title…so it worked out because it gave me experience on my resume

Does anyone in here work for the IBEW? I've been trying to get in the apprenticeship program. I gotta retest next April.

No but it’s a good union. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting in. I know my power company here needs all the help they can get.

With any trades you have to thug it out through the apprenticeship and then you’re good.

It’s a good time to get into the trades because everyone needs help. Also sucks though because you’ll be over worked. You’ll never have to worry about being broke though or health insurance.

I’m a tell my current job tomorrow my 2 weeks notice and then tell the new job I accept the offer…but I took my current job because I was just laid off from my old job and wanted to work again so I took my current job… I didn’t know they didn’t give raises…. At the time when I took the job I got paid 3k more and got a higher title…so it worked out because it gave me experience on my resume
**** a title ....

Give me the money.

Titles usually come with a caveat .... ie. Salary, 24 access, responsibilities, performance matrix, etc.

I rather get paid, have less responsibilities and when I'm off I'm off ... they call me, pay me.

I don’t even answer my work phone anymore bruh. I just leave it in my truck. :lol:

The one trick these companies don’t want you to know. :lol:

another LONG READ but just wanted to give an update on everything

so finally I got everything ironed out…the job offer I told y’all about that was 16k more than my current job I told them I was declining the offer and needed 10k more… I had 3 interviews lined up that all paid more than my current job offer so I felt there was no need to rush and try to maximize my next salary…the company that gave me the 16k more job offer said ok we will give you 5k more than the original offer so I took it… obviously it was 5k less than what I wanted but I had to secure the bag… now here’s the tricky part I had the 3 interviews already… they still might call me back either for another interview or for a job offer… if it pays me more than my current job offer I will decline the current job offer or start the job and then leave after a week or two lol…

now for my job now… I already gave them my 2 week notice on Tuesday… but since it was verbal they wanted me to give a written 2 week notice which I gave Wednesday… so instead of starting my new job on the 22nd I will be starting on the 25th since my last day is the 24th… my supervisor took it well but I can tell she was a little salty but not surprised… We can work from home once a week and I said can I still work from home next week and she said No… It sucks cuz I had a 4th interview lined up and woulda went on the day I was working from home… Might have to cancel…the thing I don’t understand is my supervisor was actually telling me last month about a job posting on indeed that paid a lot… I was like ok why are you mentioning this to me you must not like me… she laughed and was like no its not that I just think since your young you would want a bigger salary since she knew I didn’t get paid well and the company as a whole is cheap…I even told her when I gave my 2 week notice on Tuesday that she was the motivation to get my resume done and start looking… I think that she was caught off guard… like ya she gave me the idea but didn’t expect I would act on it… well surprise I did!

forgot to add when I submitted my job offer to my supervisor and gave the 2 week notice I wanted to see if they would match just out of curiosity... I already knew the outcome but I just wanted to be proved wrong but nope...my supervisor straight up told me look this is a family business and the people that are still here know the situation and are comfortable... basically saying some folks are old and ready to work a few years and retire and are cool with the mediocre or lame salary...she was like I will try to see if they will match but I highly doubt it... she texts me an hour later saying they can't match and told me to submit a written 2 week notice the following day

Last edited:
^^^^^ You're demanding more pay, but with that, I hope you familiarize yourself with the law.

Ain't no way, I'm going back to my new employer and give them a new starting day. Expecially if they bring in new hires on a certain day for onboarding.

In addition, you have 2 weeks left. You already have a new job. You don't need their recommendation. If I was you, I would have said ... I'm going to work the last week from home. If they came back salty and said no ... i would of have thrown your earn leave and or your PTO and def wouldn't have worked that last week.

Man up bro.

^^ Agree with everything the poster above me wrote. Also If I were you I would have chosen a later start date. To have a week or two to myself before starting a new job. You're leaving one job and starting a new one the following day.

^ bro both companies are pressing me... my current job wont let me leave until 8/24... I told them I wanted to be out and 8/19 would be my last day but nope... the new job wanted me to start on 8/22 and I told them about my current job so now I will start my new job on 8/25

^ bro both companies are pressing me... my current job wont let me leave until 8/24... I told them I wanted to be out and 8/19 would be my last day but nope... the new job wanted me to start on 8/22 and I told them about my current job so now I will start my new job on 8/25
Yeah I agree with the posters above. You don't plan on coming back, so you could afford to burn that bridge and either PTO the rest of your work days or leave before the 2-week mark. I would personally leave early and start the newer job early so you could leave a good impression to begin with. In other words, disregard your old company like they're an ex blocking you from a better woman that's waiting for you.

Bro, “they won’t let you leave”

Man up dude, you don’t even have to give two weeks if you don’t want. Let alone dictate when you can leave after you already gave them two weeks.

I’ve left a job with a 2 minute notice, they paid me my pto and left then they keep calling me to come back. They are thirsty call their bluff.

I don't want to sound like a ****, but I can see why the current employer ran over you.

Remember, they ****ted on you, denied you benefits others got, slaved you during your fathers illness, didn't care about giving you a raise although inflation was at a 15% and from time to time made offensives jokes. I bet your immediate supervisor was on if those smile in your faces and talk **** behind your back. It's your time to at least say **** you and youre going out like a sucka.

Just know you are replaceble .... they don't give a **** about you and are playing you.

I'll go today and be like,

I know a gave you two weeks but I have things to do so figure it out. They probably made the schedule and are lazy to fill on gaps.

Just saying, you sound like a straight sucka .... they wont let me leave .... like you are their ****ing slave. A good employer would be happy for you, understand you if you really was capped out and rather leave you on good terms or your terms rather than **** you over. After all you are still performing according to you a critical job.

Just leave dude ...

At this point your current job shouldn't be pressing you for ****.

you go boy you go boy Congrats on the new job. Chances are you live in an employment at-will state meaning you can resign at any moment without notice (assuming you aren’t under contract to work up to a specific date). A 2-week notice is a courtesy, not a requirement. My last job I gave a one week notice. Boss was mad but who cares? I’m moving on to a new job paying me more.

I’m not going to pile on. Sounds like you had a rough enough time at that job. Get your head together and go in there Monday and say that is your last day. Take some time to yourself then start the new job.

Nah I’m not burning bridges and not only that I don’t hate it enough where I have to leave asap… The new job is not going anywhere and if I have to start a few days later then no biggie really… The current job that I’m at paved the way for this new job… It let me gain the experience I needed to even get this opportunity so I am grateful for that…If you guys want to burn bridges and leave your jobs that’s cool but that’s not my thing…

I get it. That first time leaving a job you’ve been at for a while is hard. Trust me, it gets easier. I’ve given everything from 1 month to 1 week notices. It doesn’t matter. If you leaving puts them in a tough spot they won’t like it. But they damn sure will welcome you back if you are truly valuable. I’ve been there.

However, keko jones keko jones laid it out already. I’d gladly burn bridges with a place like that. Glad you are getting out of a toxic environment. Just make sure you don’t answer their calls after you resign. That false sense of obligation could have you working for them for free.

Man dude is trippin. I would’ve gave a 2 day notice and threw up the fingers if they gave push back.

You about to start a new job and you’re still trying to kiss *** at the current job? What was the point of sending your offer to your current job and why would you even want to continue working there if it’s a toxic environment?

You can burn bridges with the actual company but still have connections at the company.

Nah I’m not burning bridges and not only that I don’t hate it enough where I have to leave asap… The new job is not going anywhere and if I have to start a few days later then no biggie really… The current job that I’m at paved the way for this new job… It let me gain the experience I needed to even get this opportunity so I am grateful for that…If you guys want to burn bridges and leave your jobs that’s cool but that’s not my thing…
Burn what bridges?

You're thinking backwards...

Aint no reason / no way you should go back to that company. Burning bridges means you have an idea or notion that you can always go back if an opportunity presents itself and by the sounds of it, even if that happened you wouldn't be the ideal candidate.

You say all they did for you, but yet the company didn't take your concerns into account and most importantly gave a **** about your family or your situation ....

But do you .....

Seriously. It's making my skin crawl reading all that. If you don't just say **** that job and get the hell on
Honestly after that first long post about getting the offer I started to get upset. You have a chance to start fresh at a new company and dude was prepared to mess up these offers because he wants to stay in good spirits with his old company.

Make it make sense

There is no such thing as “subtle” racism.

I’ve been loyal to a fault to past employers that helped start my career so I get it. It made me look at them with rose-tinted glasses in certain situations. But thankfully I’ve never been in a place that straight up lacked human decency. That’s the door you really want to keep open? :lol:

It's the fact that they still won't even let him work from home. Clearly a biased decision with no rationale other than them demonstrating they have no respect for him. If he keeps that same mentality he's likely to get railroaded at this new job too

It's the fact that they still won't even let him work from home. Clearly a biased decision with no rationale other than them demonstrating they have no respect for him. If he keeps that same mentality he's likely to get railroaded at this new job too
Yeah, dude gotta buck up.

Back
Top Bottom