Joe Johnson... the most overrated underrated player in the league?

He is just another guy who can be great but doesn't have the drive. T-Mac also goes in that pile. IMO Kobe and Lebron are great but the only separation isthe drive and determination to be the best. Its irritating watch him play sometimes.

When the lights get bright (playoffs), Joe flees...and this is coming from a supporter...

He would be a lot better if he got more aggressive. He plays very scared most of the time. Almost like he doesn't know how much size he has.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

He would be a lot better if he got more aggressive. He plays very scared most of the time. Almost like he doesn't know how much size he has.
Exactly. Dude should be one the best in the league right now but its like He's scared to be that good.

As a life-long Hawks observer and basketball junkie in general, I agree with the person or people that said JJ is overrated by purists and underrated by casualfans.

People want to get on the bandwagon this season, but his numbers actually went down in almost all categories from last season, when he was essentially theHawks only consistent (and powerful) offensive threat.

JJ is a legitimate All-Star, and nothing more or nothing less. He's not one of the elite, but he is nowhere near overrated by people who actually know andunderstand the game.

Edit: After a quick scan of the responses, I saw many people claim JJ "plays scared." It's not so much him playing scared as Coach Woodson notknowing what in the world he wants to do with the team or how to use each individual player to the team's advantage. Any casual Hawks fan could tell youthat we've wanted a new coach for a long time now...

It seems like we have a "Joe Johnson Underrated" thread ever month
smh.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

He is just another guy who can be great but doesn't have the drive. T-Mac also goes in that pile. IMO Kobe and Lebron are great but the only separation is the drive and determination to be the best. Its irritating watch him play sometimes.
indifferent.gif
don't ever compare Joe Johnson to Tmac.

i will make you look silly if you want to argue that Johnson was ever on Tmac's level as a player.

I was seriously thinking about making this post. It seems like there's always someone talking about how underrated this guy is. How can he be underratedwhen people always mention him in that sense?

Originally Posted by C5A5D5A5

can someone explain to me how jj is soft
dude averaged like 14-15ppg last series. how are you supposed to be the face of your franchise and you feel no sense of urgency in the playoffs?

they still won, and he did play well in Game 6, but still...

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

He is just another guy who can be great but doesn't have the drive. T-Mac also goes in that pile. IMO Kobe and Lebron are great but the only separation is the drive and determination to be the best. Its irritating watch him play sometimes.
indifferent.gif

i will make you look silly if you want to argue that Johnson was ever on Tmac's level as a player.
T-Mac has drive? He lacks that "killer instinct" Kobe has on Defense and offense (thought it was obvious)

Well, News to me
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

indifferent.gif

T-Mac has drive? He lacks that "killer instinct" Kobe has on Defense and offense (thought it was obvious)

Well, News to me
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
T-Mac and Joe Johnson are both on completely different levels as players.. the only similarity is that neither has the "drive" to reachthe next level up.

when people talk about Joe Johnson not having the drive, they mean that he could possibly be a superstar in the NBA for a few years. when people talking aboutT-Mac not having the drive, they mean that he could have been one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

same ailment, but they are both on two different playing fields.

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

you see him play? then there you go

he real nice, don't get me wrong

he needs some aggressiveness
lackadaisical=/=soft

soft....

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by C5A5D5A5

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

you see him play? then there you go

he real nice, don't get me wrong

he needs some aggressiveness
lackadaisical=/=soft

soft....

laugh.gif
if you mix someone up and just keep pulling threes...yeah you soft

he is far from "lackdaisical"

he can still ball out of his mind

Overrated. The way I see him, he's still the 4th option on that 2004-2005 Suns team just playing for a team with a far lower talent level. If you put that04-05 Suns team back together right now, he'd still be the 4th option. So no, he's not a superstar. But he gets paid like one. Danny Granger is muchbetter.

Back
Top Bottom