John Oliver talks about Student Debt and For-Profit Colleges

I've watched every John Oliver segment/clip as soon as they're posted... it's become a must watch for me.

He's been doing a great job on his new show.

I've watched every John Oliver segment/clip as soon as they're posted... it's become a must watch for me.

He's been doing a great job on his new show.
Certainly has.  Some extra freedom comes with it being on HBO compared to cable TV.

Knew a recruiter for UOP who was making 60-70k a yr yet quit because of the recruiting tactics regarding the military and the elderly in the Deep South.
Was so bad she use to pop Xanax and that bumpy face bottle after work
:smh:

i like his shirt...

but parents should also be included in this...they NEED to do a better job at educating their children and themselves on what exactly financing an education actually means...

im not too sure about federally-backed loans (didnt have any), but i can, as well as a few other NTers, can speak about dealing with private loans, which can be harder to deal with if, as there are few laws regulating them compared to federally-backed loans...

Last edited:
i like his shirt...

but parents should also be included in this...they NEED to do a better job at educating their children and themselves on what exactly financing an education actually means...

im not too sure about federally-backed loans (didnt have any), but i can, as well as a few other NTers, can speak about dealing with private loans, which can be harder to deal with if, as there are few laws regulating them compared to federally-backed loans...

Would you let anyone who has never paid for college educate you on financing education? Most of the people caught up in the for profit institution crap are people who dont have parents who attended college.

I watch the show as it airs and it was a good segment but i feel the hbo demographic should already know everything he was saying, most of the info was stuff everyone knew already. It would of been better if he offered solutions or went more into what we are trying to do to fix the problem. There were congressional meetings recently about this where I heard tons of good suggestions and it seems like a lot of progress was made on the issue when it comes to speaking on. I guess the typical internet viewer who views this on a fb share post or on a forum may not know the info he said but the viewer who is watching bill maher or vice should have something a bit more dense in information.

I honestly didn't know that the for profit schools went to those extremes to recruit people. 

I love his show.

I went to a State University for my Undergrad and For-profit University for my Doctorate. The State school I graduated from has a higher tuition rate for my Graduate program than the For-profit did. So I don't know how true that is on a wide scale.

Also, just because people do not graduate doesnt mean it's the For-profit's fault.

I love his show.

I went to a State University for my Undergrad and For-profit University for my Doctorate. The State school I graduated from has a higher tuition rate for my Graduate program than the For-profit did. So I don't know how true that is on a wide scale.

Also, just because people do not graduate doesnt mean it's the For-profit's fault.

Thats apples and oranges. I believe this was mostly about undergrad. If you pay attention to the issue at hand with for profits you will notice that many recruiters try to get this students to sign up so they can get the financial aid money out of them. One stat listed in the video was these top for profit schools spend twice as much on teachers for marketing. Also the term "pain points" which are basically emotional tricks to get students to sign up for the school is a tactic common among most predatory for profit schools. Of course not all for profit schools are like that since you cant just label stuff universally but of the major ones it is pretty big.

Oliver does go on and say the student debt bubble isnt fully for profit schools fault, even the non-profit public schools are to blame as well as the government.

I honestly didn't know that the for profit schools went to those extremes to recruit people. 

You never seen the everst commercials or even the infamous Lil romeo ICDC commercials. When you break down the marketing tactics you can see they are targeting a specific demographic. Instead of doing the normal school way of trying to obtain the best students they are trying to do the opposite and cash out on their financial aid which is the equivalent to section 8 for schools. Hell Section 8 probably has more requirements than financial aid

There needs to be a bigger push on the advantages of community colleges. They're looked at as backups, but you can save a lot for getting the same education. Hell, my school has practically paid me to go there.

You never seen the everst commercials or even the infamous Lil romeo ICDC commercials. When you break down the marketing tactics you can see they are targeting a specific demographic. Instead of doing the normal school way of trying to obtain the best students they are trying to do the opposite and cash out on their financial aid which is the equivalent to section 8 for schools. Hell Section 8 probably has more requirements than financial aid
Yep, they target certain demographics of people due to their ignorance about the education system

Yes ive seen the commercials, but how would I have known that they are targeting disabled veterans?  Not sure if you all watched the video.

Last edited:
Nice piece but nothing new here for me.

Every time I see those commercials all I think is what a scam it is :lol:

Last edited:
There needs to be a bigger push on the advantages of community colleges. They're looked at as backups, but you can save a lot for getting the same education. Hell, my school has practically paid me to go there.

This is true. CCs are offerring Bachelor's now.

I took all of my math and sciences at a CC because it was cheaper and the class sizes were significantly smaller. A Chemistry course at a University as 300+ students in there, and the classes at a CC are just as good.

Yep, they target certain demographics of people due to their ignorance about the education system

I've always said that there are too many people seeking too go to college because they are taught to think that college is the "ends all" to getting a good job.

Truth be told, I know more people who are successful and DID NOT attend college than did go to college. I think a lot of people get overwhelmed of the college experience because in high school a lot of times teachers "hold your hand" and guide through everything, and realize it isnt for them and just drop out.

A friend used to work for Phoenix and she was helping this elderly how to read better and her boss just straight up said, "F him thats not your job, your job is to get more people like him" She quit her job after that. A lot of people that work for these schools are severely depressed.

Community colleges offer bachelors now? I thought they didn't go above 200 level courses.

Community College + CLEP is the way to go.

And once dem grades looking nice, you will get scholarships going into a big state school.

Back
Top Bottom