Jordan 11 ‘Cherry’ Holiday 2022

As an OG, I can attest that the 11s weren't all that hyped up when they originally released. The black and red were the most popular colorway. Back then Jordan was dropping brand new heat every year so we were onto the 12s the next year. Then the 13s. It was different back then. The newest Js were the hottest kicks out, not last year's shoes.

Even when the first Concord retro came out in 2005, they were easy to get and there wasn't much hype. I walked Modells in the evening on release day and grabbed a pair. The space jams were more popular back then.

It really wasn't until Jordan started released garbage new sneakers (everything after Jordan 16s)- that the 11s started to become the most hyped retro.

As an OG, I can attest that the 11s weren't all that hyped up when they originally released. The black and red were the most popular colorway. Back then Jordan was dropping brand new heat every year so we were onto the 12s the next year. Then the 13s. It was different back then. The newest Js were the hottest kicks out, not last year's shoes.

Even when the first Concord retro came out in 2005, they were easy to get and there wasn't much hype. I walked Modells in the evening on release day and grabbed a pair. The space jams were more popular back then.

It really wasn't until Jordan started released garbage new sneakers (everything after Jordan 16s)- that the 11s started to become the most hyped retro.
Probably depends on where you’re from. Everyone was wild over the concords in my school. Literally everyone had a pair after Christmas of 95. That’s not to say they instantly sold out everywhere, but they were definitely hyped.

But the 11s were retro’d before the 16s dropped. They were already hyped. So hyped that they were brought back 5 years after their original release.

Yeah some good points above, 11s definitely didn't take off in 96 until the playoffs dropped, couple that with the record breaking season and it was nuts. Playoffs > Concords>Columbias in terms of popularity, at least in Detroit. I remember that Starter jacket era, man you had to keep your head on a swivel. Having one was like wearing target for sure...

Concords were the first sneaker I ever remember selling out when the dropped…Had to travel all over Vegas in December ‘95 to find my size…Never experienced anything like that before then…Every single 11 sold the same way around these parts…
Too bad I didn’t know about the concords or else I would’ve known how it sold here in Los Angeles but for sure the playoffs flew real quick.

Back in College I happened to be in Chicago in December of '95 right after the shoes dropped and they sold out in a flash I was told everywhere back then. I wanted to get a second pair and I went to Niketown and visited about every imaginable store downtown Chicago extended and the 11's were nowhere to be found. Had to order my 2nd pair directly from Nike through a Nike rep I knew when I got back home and made my own unique SJ customized version, which nobody had at the time except for MJ of course! I had brought back some pretty nice stuff I was able to source out during my tourney around town though.

I attended 2 Bulls games right around Xmas and the New Year and there were so many dudes everywhere with concords on feet, same around town, in the bus, on the train, it was a crazy atmosphere to say the least!

Last edited:
Back in College I happened to be in Chicago in December of '95 right after the shoes dropped and they sold out in a flash I was told everywhere back then. I wanted to get a second pair and I went to Niketown and visited about every imaginable store downtown Chicago extended and the 11's were nowhere to be found. Had to order my 2nd pair directly from Nike through a Nike rep I knew when I got back home and made my own unique SJ customized version, which nobody had at the time except for MJ of course! I had brought back some pretty nice stuff I was able to source out during my tourney around town though.

I attended 2 Bulls games right around Xmas and the New Year and there were so many dudes everywhere with concords on feet, same around town, in the bus, on the train, it was a crazy atmosphere to say the least!
Stories like this are the best part of NT.

Stories like this are the best part of NT.
Had to do some serious digging, this one's for you my friend!
and enjoy everybody 🙂

A0A940A9-BB37-4C04-A15C-04E12876D55B.jpeg

BCAAD3BE-D361-4E20-B48E-33C99F1CE6A8.jpeg

Last edited:

Wish I was in Chicago that time

Wish I was in Chicago that time
Awe man! everywhere you went, everywhere you looked there was something awesome for an MJ and Bulls fan. I remember while I was on my quest for the 11's going to a downtown store where they had on display every Air Jordan 10 PE from Nick Anderson's, to Ray Allen's, to the super rare blk/purple Mike Bibby and many more and of course the white/blk/red with the 45 game worn shoes by MJ.

Back then, unlike today, we only saw that stuff on TV, in basketball magazines or at games and still, it was not a common thing.

Unforgettable! I got so many cool stories from my time there.

Lol I feel like you trolling cause you just said all kinda bs. 11s were the most hyped J to date when they dropped. The hype from him coming back from retirement and breaking these shiny mystery shoes out in the playoffs made them grails from the jump. Nothing he dropped after even came close to the hype. Even the ie lows were crazy then but nothing like the “patent leather Js”. All 3 CWs flew and mfs was gettin robbed left and right for them

And there wasn’t even a concord release in 2005. The -2000 retro- flew off shelves. Something tells me you wasn’t there 😂😂

Starter Jackets were next level, the pullover over quarter zips in particular…The sneaker thing was the type that you’d hear a friend of a friends cousin got hit…

The Starters though, you directly knew people who got GOT…That was one of those things that if you wore them, you had to be ready to throw hands at some point…Around these parts (Las Vegas), it was Charolette Hornets, UNLV, and Georgetown jackets in that order…If you had one of those teams jackets it was just a matter of when you’d have to get down…
It was Raiders Bulls and Niners around my parts, mostly parkas or satins, but mfs was even gettin hit for Bengals lol. By the time Jaguars starters dropped you still coulda got stripped but nothing like that 91-93 window

Lol I feel like you trolling cause you just said all kinda bs. 11s were the most hyped J to date when they dropped. The hype from him coming back from retirement and breaking these shiny mystery shoes out in the playoffs made them grails from the jump. Nothing he dropped after even came close to the hype. Even the ie lows were crazy then but nothing like the “patent leather Js”. All 3 CWs flew and mfs was gettin robbed left and right for them

And there wasn’t even a concord release in 2005. The -2000 retro- flew off shelves. Something tells me you wasn’t there 😂😂
The black/reds in particular was an INSANE release. It sold out instantly almost everywhere, which was unheard of for Jordans back then. It almost foreshadowed what was to come just a few short years later with the retro craze.

The Cords and Columbia sold out too, but not quite as fast. I just remember when he broke them out against Orlando, with Ahmad Rashad rocking them too, that never in my life did I want a shoe so badly.

The black/reds in particular was an INSANE release. It sold out instantly almost everywhere, which was unheard of for Jordans back then. It almost foreshadowed what was to come just a few short years later with the retro craze.

The Cords and Columbia sold out too, but not quite as fast. I just remember when he broke them out against Orlando, with Ahmad Rashad rocking them too, that never in my life did I want a shoe so badly.

Spot on the Bred 11s are what MADE the 11s hype. All others sold out eventually but those were the first instant sell out.

Back
Top Bottom