Jordan IV RM

Nigel Sylvester x Air Jordan 4 RM SP Anthracite
Color: Anthracite/Anthracite-University Red-White
Style Code: HF4334-004 (men); HJ9746-004 (GS)
Release Date: 08/07/2024
Price: $150 (men); $120 (GS)
1721419757201.png

Most of the CWs I’m not a fan of, but I think the shoe itself is solid.

Nike fumbling the bag once again. The one shoe that had folks talking about the RM in a somewhat positive light was pretty much inaccessible to people who couldn’t show up a few select events. 100 pairs on snkrs eu/uk is laughable.

Were passed the days where the hype on one colorway alone will carry a silhouette. you don’t gotta flood the market but you’ve gotta get models like this on peoples feet otherwise the marketing and story telling is worthless.

I saw something in a comment on one of the twitter posts that they'd release on the 26th (on snkrs). I had them as being the 20th (today) so it's news to me, but they've done this before.

Nike fumbling the bag once again. The one shoe that had folks talking about the RM in a somewhat positive light was pretty much inaccessible to people who couldn’t show up a few select events. 100 pairs on snkrs eu/uk is laughable.

Were passed the days where the hype on one colorway alone will carry a silhouette. you don’t gotta flood the market but you’ve gotta get models like this on peoples feet otherwise the marketing and story telling is worthless.
I think they fumbled the bag making a shoe that won’t sell without a collab like this. I mean how do you market this shoe to move product? Who is it appealing to? Why only one collab?

There’s a reason the IV never had a low version, and some meh take on it now can’t be driven by data. And if it is, it’s telling them they won’t move much of this model at MSRP.

I assume they saw the IVs pumping up on the secondary market and went in on this, but for this to have done any damage they’re about 18-24 mos behind releasing and they should have treated it like the air ships and had a strong lineup of collabs behind it, not just one.

I think they fumbled the bag making a shoe that won’t sell without a collab like this. I mean how do you market this shoe to move product? Who is it appealing to? Why only one collab?

There’s a reason the IV never had a low version, and some meh take on it now can’t be driven by data. And if it is, it’s telling them they won’t move much of this model at MSRP.

I assume they saw the IVs pumping up on the secondary market and went in on this, but for this to have done any damage they’re about 18-24 mos behind releasing and they should have treated it like the air ships and had a strong lineup of collabs behind it, not just one.

Let’s not get it twisted, this is first and foremost a knock down/take down Jordan 4. It might exist because of the popularity of Jordan 4, but I don’t think anyone including Nike has plans for a knock down to be a game changer for the brand. That said any kind of cult popularity would by default be a net positive for the model itself. So why not make the pair with the highest likelyhood to move the needle in more people’s hands?

Nikes issue is that they’re clearly running with the idea that hype trickles down. That might have been the case in the past but it isn’t the case now. Shoes, especially new models, don’t move because they’re new. Its pretty rare for a colorway of new model to have some positive buzz, getting them to people would only serve to persuade more people to buy other colorways down the line if they enjoy the silhouette enough.

Long story short, it’s a new model, it’s a take down of a popular model that’s already readily available and on sale pretty often. It’s not supposed to be the next hyped silhouette. So with all that said, if you have the opportunity to capitalize on the hype of a colorway getting positive attention, why not use that colorway to get SOME market penetration for the other pairs to follow? That’s more people saying “that Nigel pair was dope and the shoe itself is actually pretty comfortable, I’ll pick up another”. The conversations people are having now are that Nike made these limited for no reason and no one having any really expertise with the shoe to influence themselves and others to buy another pair.

Reactions: mkj
Let’s not get it twisted, this is first and foremost a knock down/take down Jordan 4. It might exist because of the popularity of Jordan 4, but I don’t think anyone including Nike has plans for a knock down to be a game changer for the brand. That said any kind of cult popularity would by default be a net positive for the model itself. So why not make the pair with the highest likelyhood to move the needle in more people’s hands?

Nikes issue is that they’re clearly running with the idea that hype trickles down. That might have been the case in the past but it isn’t the case now. Shoes, especially new models, don’t move because they’re new. Its pretty rare for a colorway of new model to have some positive buzz, getting them to people would only serve to persuade more people to buy other colorways down the line if they enjoy the silhouette enough.

Long story short, it’s a new model, it’s a take down of a popular model that’s already readily available and on sale pretty often. It’s not supposed to be the next hyped silhouette. So with all that said, if you have the opportunity to capitalize on the hype of a colorway getting positive attention, why not use that colorway to get SOME market penetration for the other pairs to follow? That’s more people saying “that Nigel pair was dope and the shoe itself is actually pretty comfortable, I’ll pick up another”. The conversations people are having now are that Nike made these limited for no reason and no one having any really expertise with the shoe to influence themselves and others to buy another pair.
They have a long history of take down models. To think they actually believe they’ll trickle hype down and sell this shoes goes against history and what they know has happened. 312 trash all over again and we know those weren’t moving big numbers.

Back
Top Bottom