Judge Rules That Millions Can Sue NYPD Over Stop-and-Frisk

It's about time...

mario-images-tama-getty.n.jpg

A federal judge in New York has given the go ahead for a class action lawsuit to move forward against the city’s police department over allegations that its stop-and-frisk program has continuously allowed officers to discriminate against minorities.

In a ruling made Wednesday by US District Judge Shira Scheindlin, the pending suit against the NYPD, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and others was granted class action status.

Authorities seem nonplussed.

When asked for his take on Judge Scheindlin’s decision, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly told the New York Times that he had no comment because the litigation was continuing, but offered one quip: “It is what it is.

go ahead stop it
smile.gif

you would be surprised how many people get caught with illegal firearms riding the train got quite a few family members in service.

but they be over doing it sometimes.

no need to stop and frisk.. they have this new machine that can scan you for weapons from 15 feet away if i'm not mistaken. i have yet to see it in action, but there goes your stop frisking me lol - when they get to you they already know what your holding
smokin.gif

I just read an article where it shows the huge disparity of stop and frisks in Brooklyn yuppie/white neighborhoods vs Brownsville where it's mostly black and Latinos.

As much as it pains me to say this you simply can't ignore the fact that there's a huge difference in criminal activity between the two neighborhoods so it's only right for Brownsville to have higher incidents of stop and frisks.

It's really a tough issue and you can't just throw the race card out there on these cops.

Numbers don't lie.

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

no need to stop and frisk.. they have this new machine that can scan you for weapons from 15 feet away if i'm not mistaken. i have yet to see it in action, but there goes your stop frisking me lol - when they get to you they already know what your holding
smokin.gif
said use of machine is unconstitutional.

Terry Stops aren't the problem.  It's when they ONLY conduct them in minority neighborhoods and in many cases solely to harass that is the problem.

I'm all for patting down goons though.  As long as there's suspicion.

Now I wished I got stopped and frisked recently.

This won't change the main problem of racists becoming NYPD officers.

so much misinformation..

i just did a paper on this. the numbers DO lie. less than 1% of the almost 700,000 people stopped last year had a fire arm. The real problem is the racial profiling associated with stop and frisk. although only comprising approx 20% of the population, blacks accounted for almost 60 percent of stops. White people while comprising almost 60 % of the population are stopped less than 10% by comparison.

And 6% of blacks, whites, and latinos are arrested or cited during stop and frisks in 2011. In fact last year more guns were retrieved from white "suspects" then black "suspects"

source: http://ccrjustice.org/stopandfrisk

Originally Posted by jhova718

so much misinformation..

i just did a paper on this. the numbers DO lie. less than 1% of the almost 700,000 people stopped last year had a fire arm. The real problem is the racial profiling associated with stop and frisk. although only comprising approx 20% of the population, blacks accounted for almost 60 percent of stops. White people while comprising almost 60 % of the population are stopped less than 10% by comparison.

And 6% of blacks, whites, and latinos are arrested or cited during stop and frisks in 2011. In fact last year more guns were retrieved from white "suspects" then black "suspects"

well damn, thanks for this information.

Originally Posted by jhova718

so much misinformation..

Welp that makes the first 3 posts null and void 
laugh.gif

Good information bro

Also I forgot about the stats that cops are stopping and frisking more minorities that exist in the city, meaning not only are they doing this exclusively to minorities but the majority of them are getting stopped and frisked multiple times throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom