My knees been hurting lately
Sitting for too long
Don’t like going to the doctor
So haven’t went
Even though I have free coverage through my work
So any tips it’s not both knees
Just one knee
Feels sore when sitting in a chair for to long
"Being in shape is overrated" though........

Real Talk:

How deep in debt are you in with student loans after under grad, grad school, and medical school?

Must be nice to have family that has money to help pay for that tuition

NYU now has free tuition. 60 Minutes had a great special on it, there was a 1st generation woman from Dominican Republic who is going into family practice in a low income community to give back.

Congratulations OP. That's a great achievement. I feel different about the medical field being 40 now and seeing these millennials make over $200k working in the tech sector. With much less stress and hours. Some of them went to state universities in the south where they graduated with zero student debt. To pursue medicine now you have to really LOVE the work. Be a good doctor!

Congratulations OP. That's a great achievement. I feel different about the medical field being 40 now and seeing these millennials make over $200k working in the tech sector. With much less stress and hours. Some of them went to state universities in the south where they graduated with zero student debt. To pursue medicine now you have to really LOVE the work. Be a good doctor!

I love what I do and thats the biggest reason I went into this. At the end of the day I get to go home and feel really good about myself and feel like im truly making the world a better place. Growing up on medicaid I know I gotta go back and contribute to that community as well, it's not just about the money. Not sure I would have the same satisfaction with tech or finance jobs. Also triple that salary and then they would be in the same ballpark of orthopedic surgeons. I sacrificed a lot to get here and I expect my salary to show it

Last edited:
MD or DO school? Texas schools are some of the most affordable in the nation (as a resident).

Think Med School loans/tuition are tough? Try looking at Dental Schools were its routine to get into 500k+ debt (not even considering undergrad). These schools are out to make money, nothing but a business it seems.

Congrats again on your journey OP. Will def be DM’ing you on advice for time management and study habits. Just started my first year of Pharmacy school. I attend a DO school with a Pharmacy program which is one of the cheaper medical schools in the state (Georgia) but I’m still looking at a smooth 280-300k debt after interest once it’s all said and done. Tough pill to swallow but it takes money to make money.

MD or DO school? Texas schools are some of the most affordable in the nation (as a resident).

Think Med School loans/tuition are tough? Try looking at Dental Schools were its routine to get into 500k+ debt (not even considering undergrad). These schools are out to make money, nothing but a business it seems.

MD, all Med schools in Texas are subsidized and less than half the cost of any school outside of Texas. I’m 99% certain that every school charges the same tuition for medical vs dental. Most doctors usually end up making way more than dentists so it’s more affordable. However at the end of the day we’re all guaranteed to be making 200k++ so it’s a way better gamble than any undergrad degree. Yea debt sucks, but medical professionals make a **** ton of money essentially guaranteed so it’s not the end of the world

MD, all Med schools in Texas are subsidized and less than half the cost of any school outside of Texas. I’m 99% certain that every school charges the same tuition for medical vs dental. Most doctors usually end up making way more than dentists so it’s more affordable. However at the end of the day we’re all guaranteed to be making 200k++ so it’s a way better gamble than any undergrad degree. Yea debt sucks, but medical professionals make a **** ton of money essentially guaranteed so it’s not the end of the world

im not sure what the rates are now since I’ve been done a while but quick google search puts UT-H med at ~22k and dental at ~37k.
Tuition is only a small part of the equation but yeah, Texas Residents got it easy.

People should really look into military. They desperately need Dentist and Doctors and they are sending folks to school, then a 4 to 6 year commitment as an officer getting real life experience.

I love what I do and thats the biggest reason I went into this. At the end of the day I get to go home and feel really good about myself and feel like im truly making the world a better place. Growing up on medicaid I know I gotta go back and contribute to that community as well, it's not just about the money. Not sure I would have the same satisfaction with tech or finance jobs. Also triple that salary and then they would be in the same ballpark of orthopedic surgeons. I sacrificed a lot to get here and I expect my salary to show it
Damn I hurt my knee and been seeing an orthopedic surgeon who is also a rheumatologist (I have PsA). Didn’t know he was caking like that :lol: :lol:

Damn I hurt my knee and been seeing an orthopedic surgeon who is also a rheumatologist (I have PsA). Didn’t know he was caking like that :lol: :lol:

:lol:
thats on the low end too, most people i know right out of residency are signing 500k+ base, plus 100k signing bonus. the other half of the salary is production based. So if you operate a lot its not uncommon to be pushing close to a milli. ortho surgeons are the best paid physicians

paliplaya2010 paliplaya2010

This being Niketalk and all... just one question.

Do you still mess with sneakers?

If yes will you go into overdrive now that you're making all this money and get a real nice collection going if you don't have one already.

If no will you get back into sneakers now that you are making good money?

People should really look into military. They desperately need Dentist and Doctors and they are sending folks to school, then a 4 to 6 year commitment as an officer getting real life experience.

from an investment stand point, its pretty awful for those in medicine to go into the military. it limits you a lot in terms of where you can go for residency. you also get paid much less by the military. I know when people are looking at 300k+ of debt it's super intimidating (almost never the case for texan physician bc our med school is so cheap). But we're guaranteed to make a ton of money. Signing bonuses for orthopods are like 100k and some places you sign with will pay your student debt. So lets say i come out with 300k in debt vs i went to the military with 0 debt, i still owe 5 years after residency and get paid half of what i woulda gotten paid if i signed elsewhere. to save 300k, i'm losing out on over a million dollars

paliplaya2010 paliplaya2010

This being Niketalk and all... just one question.

Do you still mess with sneakers?

If yes will you go into overdrive now that you're making all this money and get a real nice collection going if you don't have one already.

If no will you get back into sneakers now that you are making good money?

i definitely took a hiatus while in med school, i just couldnt afford any luxuries and i was really focused on doing well where everything else was secondary. But with my first check in residency, I finally bought some concords I had been eyeing my whole life :lol:. I'm still a few year away from making the really big bucks but i'll always be a shoehead. People always do a double take when i rock J's with the scrubs every once in awhile and i love it. I changed a lot over the process and for some reason when I rock J's it reminds me of who I was and where i came from

i definitely took a hiatus while in med school, i just couldnt afford any luxuries and i was really focused on doing well where everything else was secondary. But with my first check in residency, I finally bought some concords I had been eyeing my whole life :lol:. I'm still a few year away from making the really big bucks but i'll always be a shoehead. People always do a double take when i rock J's with the scrubs every once in awhile and i love it. I changed a lot over the process and for some reason when I rock J's it reminds me of who I was and where i came from
Did you have a job before residency? Or just went the school route? Just asking cause that first check must be nice :evil: especially if you worked a regular job to get by

Did you have a job before residency? Or just went the school route? Just asking cause that first check must be nice :evil: especially if you worked a regular job to get by

I don't think it would be possible to work during med school, i've never met any one that did. You're already working a full time job bc you work regular doctor hours during your last 2 years of school. So at minimum 40 hours a week on easier rotationas, usually closer to 60-80 hours a week. then you go home and youre supposed to study because we still have tests every few weeks. So I havent had a job since undergrad

paliplaya2010 paliplaya2010 How’d you do on the MCAT and more importantly your boards? Felt any correlation between the two? You clearly dominated the boards to get a ortho residency so any tips?

paliplaya2010 paliplaya2010 How’d you do on the MCAT and more importantly your boards? Felt any correlation between the two? You clearly dominated the boards to get a ortho residency so any tips?
man screw the MCAT, i had to take it twice and it has 0 correlation to step scores. I actually was involved in a research project that showed there wasnt even a slight correlation. The best correlation was undergrad GPA and it wasnt even significant. I did well okay ortho wise for step 1, I was high 240s which is like top 10% in the nation but it def was on the lower half of the ortho average. If you wanna comfortably match into ortho you need a 250+. I'm the only one in my class in the 240s

MCAT is a test takers test, STEP is an effort test. If you know the material, you will do well on STEP

Back
Top Bottom