Just got accepted to medical school

man screw the MCAT, i had to take it twice and it has 0 correlation to step scores. I actually was involved in a research project that showed there wasnt even a slight correlation. The best correlation was undergrad GPA and it wasnt even significant. I did well okay ortho wise for step 1, I was high 240s which is like top 10% in the nation but it def was on the lower half of the ortho average. If you wanna comfortably match into ortho you need a 250+. I'm the only one in my class in the 240s

MCAT is a test takers test, STEP is an effort test. If you know the material, you will do well on STEP

What did you think accounted for getting into an ortho residency with a score in the 240s? I know how competitive it is. What made you choose ortho? Ortho residency is 4 or 5 years? What else were you considering? I’m interested in ortho but I’m not sure yet.

I was asking about the MCAT cause I had difficulties with it. Was the one roadblock in getting into a med school initially. Ultimately had to retake and it worked out. But that test shook me I won’t lie 😂

What did you think accounted for getting into an ortho residency with a score in the 240s? I know how competitive it is. What made you choose ortho? Ortho residency is 4 or 5 years? What else were you considering? I’m interested in ortho but I’m not sure yet.

I was asking about the MCAT cause I had difficulties with it. Was the one roadblock in getting into a med school initially. Ultimately had to retake and it worked out. But that test shook me I won’t lie 😂

Ortho is awesome, we are typically the most laid back/coolest people in the hospital. I'm an ex college athlete so ortho is just kinda what we do. I liked camaraderie of orthopods, not a lot of egos typically. We get to actually fix patients and get that immediate satisfaction, i like how its in my control. I got in with a score in the 240s bc I interviewed well, i had a good story and people wanted to help me. I'm also a hard worker and semi likeable. Do well on your rotations, keep your head down and work, really only speak when spoken to and that's what makes a good rotator

Congrats man! Big props to the ortho residency! Was here at the beginning of this thread great to see another #NTMD
Cant believe ive been here from beginning of college throughout med school through 6 years of residency and fellowship and multiple years as an attending. Hopefully you'll still be here as well.

Congrats man! Big props to the ortho residency! Was here at the beginning of this thread great to see another #NTMD
Cant believe ive been here from beginning of college throughout med school through 6 years of residency and fellowship and multiple years as an attending. Hopefully you'll still be here as well.

Hahaha i remember, now i totally understand why you said ortho and family are different ballparks and couldnt agree more.

People should really look into military. They desperately need Dentist and Doctors and they are sending folks to school, then a 4 to 6 year commitment as an officer getting real life experience.

I was an officer in the Navy and the dental officer on my ship did this. We went to USC, one of the most expensive dental schools in the country, for free and he only had to service a 5 year committment. He was stationed on the aircraft carrier with me and did a shore duty in Hawaii. Not a bad way to avoid $400K in debt.

I was an officer in the Navy and the dental officer on my ship did this. We went to USC, one of the most expensive dental schools in the country, for free and he only had to service a 5 year committment. He was stationed on the aircraft carrier with me and did a shore duty in Hawaii. Not a bad way to avoid $400K in debt.

I mean unless youre really into military and stuff, you lose out on more money in those 5 years than the debt you avoided

I mean unless youre really into military and stuff, you lose out on more money in those 5 years than the debt you avoided

It's kind of a wash. Dental officers come in the Navy as O-3s. When you include your salary and all of your allowances (allowances for housing and food, free healthcare), you're making over $100k from the jump with annual raises. Plus you don't have to worry about any student loan debt. Dental school can easily be $200k-$300k.

How much do first-year dentists make? $150k? Doing the military route isn't a bad deal at all and you only owe 5 years.

It's kind of a wash. Dental officers come in the Navy as O-3s. When you include your salary and all of your allowances (allowances for housing and food, free healthcare), you're making over $100k from the jump with annual raises. Plus you don't have to worry about any student loan debt. Dental school can easily be $200k-$300k.

How much do first-year dentists make? $150k? Doing the military route isn't a bad deal at all and you only owe 5 years.

idk about dental, i know at least from my perspective, id be losing out on close to 1 million if i went military route with tuition factored in. I hear for primary care type jobs it could be a wash, but sub specialties, its def not even close

I actually think we DM'd when I first got into med school, crazy

Back
Top Bottom