Just picked up a MacBook Pro..

Yo I got a question (not that tech savy) my Mac book pro is like 5 years old and still running 4.1 tiger. Can I just upgrade straight to snow leopard 6 skipping leopard 5?

Vlc player
iBoostup
Cleanmymac
Notational velocity (easy note taking)
Wunderlist (to do list)
Bettertouchtool

Will add more later

Originally Posted by IamDavidRice

school me on SSD's

SSD'S are flash memory, no mechanical parts.  The read and writ speed are way faster than hard drive.  Only thing they are expensive.  If you do an ssd and hardrive option.  You can buy a small ssd just for os and programs.

Originally Posted by dimez81

school me on SSD's

SSD'S are flash memory, no mechanical parts.  The read and writ speed are way faster than hard drive.  Only thing they are expensive.  If you do an ssd and hardrive option.  You can buy a small ssd just for os and programs.
I was in one of our computer shops a couple months ago just lookign around and talking to the employees.
We got on the subject of HDD prices due to the flood, he said that they should be going down in the next few months or so and also that SSD prices should drop to $1.00 per gig. I hope it's sooner than later, I want a huge SSD. This 60gb aint cutting it.

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by 9thWonder23kid

What's PS3 media server?
You get to wirelessly stream media from your laptop to your ps3
What?! More info on this? 
nerd.gif

Welcome to the family, OP. 
pimp.gif

if an ssd is too expensive you might want to check out the Momentus XT drives. There not as fast as a full ssd but they are a bit faster than a regular 5400rpm hd & offer more space than a ssd at a cheaper price
[h1]
[/h1]

got my first mac a few months ago, love it so much better than a PC.......this how you know its a good product its hard for me to find someone that has owned a pc laptop for over 2 years.....i would say the avg mac user i know has had theirs for at least 2 years....i know 3 that had theirs for 5 years now

laugh.gif
 @ People being salty at Macs, I don't even know what Windows looks like anymore.

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

go under the setting on the trackpad,  click on "tap to click"

so you dont have to press down on the botton everytime, all you have to do is tap it.

Save your trackpad from wearing out so far,  when you press down on the trackpad so much the screw under it  get loose and doesnt click and you  have to open up bottom of ur laptop to adjust the screw so the  trackpad work good again.

didn't know about this, thanks.  I hated to click on it

the best thing.  dont forget the secondary tap.
SMGDH

Bought my macbook July 2007 and just figured out how to change that trackpad like a PC so i can tap it and not hit the button everytime

laugh.gif
I didnt even think it was possible on it TBH, never even tried to research it, thought only the MBP could do it, an all the newer models now smh wow i feel like an idiot

My friend built a desktop with dell parts and all that but the OS system.. that thing was legit

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Someone school me on Candybar.. I've been looking into this since I got mine.
I found the website that has it (panic), but do I have to pay for individual icons as well..?

No you don't..try deviant art...they have a ton

Originally Posted by omgitswes

school me on SSD's

I was in one of our computer shops a couple months ago just lookign around and talking to the employees.
We got on the subject of HDD prices due to the flood, he said that they should be going down in the next few months or so and also that SSD prices should drop to $1.00 per gig. I hope it's sooner than later, I want a huge SSD. This 60gb aint cutting it.
do you have a secondary hard drive?  I use 256gb but thats because I run alot of programs like cs5 suite, final cut, logic pro tools.  I still have 115 gb left over...so a bit over kill.    I use my secondary hd for music and storage.
If you don't need that much space get a 128gb.  Much cheaper and could be found for $150 - 200.  

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Yo I got a question (not that tech savy) my Mac book pro is like 5 years old and still running 4.1 tiger. Can I just upgrade straight to snow leopard 6 skipping leopard 5?

c'mon help a o.g. NT member out....

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

im thinking of selling my macbook and switching to a mac mini x ipad

I have a mac mini too...if you are just using it for browsing and light stuff then its perfect.  Just upgrade the ram.

yeah well the mac mini is more powerful than my macbook by far, its actually a beast of a machine that gets overlooked with maxed out ram...but yeah i just browse on my laptop no crazy work or nothing 

im thinking of selling my macbook and switching to a mac mini x ipad

I have a mac mini too...if you are just using it for browsing and light stuff then its perfect.  Just upgrade the ram.

yeah well the mac mini is more powerful than my macbook by far, its actually a beast of a machine that gets overlooked with maxed out ram...but yeah i just browse on my laptop no crazy work or nothing 
it is a powerful..get the base and put 8gb.  
SSD ON SALE.

http://slickdeals.net/per...120g-15-newegg-gift-card

Originally Posted by Air273

got my first mac a few months ago, love it so much better than a PC.......this how you know its a good product its hard for me to find someone that has owned a pc laptop for over 2 years.....i would say the avg mac user i know has had theirs for at least 2 years....i know 3 that had theirs for 5 years now

I'm still going strong with my Dell Studio 15....year 3 for me
pimp.gif
but I'm impartial to the debate because I like both Mac and PC, I just think you get more bang for your buck with a PC. If I had the cash, I'd go Mac though.

Adium for instant messaging
Evernote for taking notes
Chrome is the best browser
SizeUp to easily organize your windows
Alfred is an improved Spotlight search

Are all these apps you guys recommending in the App Store or are you downloading from another website ?

Originally Posted by Air273

It depends on the brand of the laptop and how the user takes care of it.  apple stuff does break down.  Walk into an apple store and see all of those people bringing stuff to the genius bar.  I bought my sister a new mbp and its hard drive crapped out after one year.
I've had my blackbook for 3-4 years.  Never had a problem.  Macs are good but not the greatest thing ever like most people claim them to be.  People are using them the same way people use a pc, it's just that pc's are more susceptible to pron viruses.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

do you have a secondary hard drive?  I use 256gb but thats because I run alot of programs like cs5 suite, final cut, logic pro tools.  I still have 115 gb left over...so a bit over kill.    I use my secondary hd for music and storage.
If you don't need that much space get a 128gb.  Much cheaper and could be found for $150 - 200.  
yeah I just recently had to add a second terabyte HDD because I filled the other one up. Between games music and movies I run out of space fast

Back
Top Bottom