Just realized I have a tax return coming from 2008. How do I go about filing?

I always assumed that my 2008 taxes had been filed but after doing research I found that the filing was never completed.  So now I want to know how I can get the return.

I know that I have to do it before Jan 1. as there is a 3 year window to file for a return and after that, the money belongs to Uncle Sam.

Does anyone know how I would go about doing this in an expeditious way?  One site I've seen is priortax.com but I'm not sure of their legitimacy.  Your help would be greatly appreciated, gentlemen (and ladies) as this is potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars that could go to waste if I don't act fast.

If you know how to file it your self then I belive there are several websites that will allow you to fill out the form online (even figures everything out for you) and you'll just have to print it and mail it in to the IRS , they wont let you efile due to the length of time but as long as your envelope is postmarked before jan 1 you shouldn't have any issues

Do you happen to know any of the websites?  All I have so far is the 1040EZ and 502 (Maryland) forms that I found online.  A site that fills it out, ala turbotax, would be convenient.

you can use turbo tax free edition or hr block free edition Im pretty sure or just type 2008 tax return forms into google

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

I always assumed that my 2008 taxes had been filed but after doing research I found that the filing was never completed.  So now I want to know how I can get the return.

I know that I have to do it before Jan 1. as there is a 3 year window to file for a return and after that, the money belongs to Uncle Sam.

Does anyone know how I would go about doing this in an expeditious way?  One site I've seen is priortax.com but I'm not sure of their legitimacy.  Your help would be greatly appreciated, gentlemen (and ladies) as this is potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars that could go to waste if I don't act fast.
Here's a copy of the 2008 Federal 1040 form. It's really pretty simple to file it manually.  Also remember you need to file a State tax return if required. 
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040--2008.pdf

If it's the refund is substantial then I would go see a professional. 

Back
Top Bottom