<>Kanye West & Jay-Z 'Watch The Throne'<> Ns in PARIS video on pg. 290

Originally Posted by gllahone84

How is this album an apples and oranges comparison to Distant Relatives? Fill me in...

Album/lyrical themes (rich black men in America vs. themes from the Diaspora), development of themes, soundscape - they certainly differ.You pick your cup of tea. There are certainly people who don't care for or listen to Nas's music, but the smart ones just stay away from it instead of coming into his threads and whining about how he puts people to sleep with his Africa raps
laugh.gif

How is this album an apples and oranges comparison to Distant Relatives? Fill me in...

Album/lyrical themes (rich black men in America vs. themes from the Diaspora), development of themes, soundscape - they certainly differ.You pick your cup of tea. There are certainly people who don't care for or listen to Nas's music, but the smart ones just stay away from it instead of coming into his threads and whining about how he puts people to sleep with his Africa raps
laugh.gif

I think people forgot that this was a rap album, Jay and Ye could have spit the new testament and people would have find flaws. The best thing a rapper can do is be real with his audience and the simply don't live the life they did during the recording of College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt anymore. WTT is a great album it took balls for them to even attempt to make it. Also I love them attempting to promote Black Excellence in alot of tracks. I feel as if this is the main concept of the album. Note how many Elite African Americans are mentioned in this album: Michael Jordan, Mike Jackson, Oprah, Obama, Otis Redding, Will Smith, Beyonce, MLK, Malcom, Fred Hampton, Eddie Murphy, Richord Pryor, etc etc

I think people forgot that this was a rap album, Jay and Ye could have spit the new testament and people would have find flaws. The best thing a rapper can do is be real with his audience and the simply don't live the life they did during the recording of College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt anymore. WTT is a great album it took balls for them to even attempt to make it. Also I love them attempting to promote Black Excellence in alot of tracks. I feel as if this is the main concept of the album. Note how many Elite African Americans are mentioned in this album: Michael Jordan, Mike Jackson, Oprah, Obama, Otis Redding, Will Smith, Beyonce, MLK, Malcom, Fred Hampton, Eddie Murphy, Richord Pryor, etc etc

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Originally Posted by Rafool

Funny how he blames Jay/Ye for Beyonce's hook on liftoff
laugh.gif

Here some reasons why I see people not liking the album:

-It doesn't sound like a traditional rap record
-Some people listen to the record under a preconceived motion of what THEY want Jay/Ye to sound like in their lyrical themes (ie "Where Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint Jay?" "Where's College Dropout Kanye?"
-You don't like rappers that brag
-You're just not a fan of the dude's music/personality

The first two reasons are understandable from my standpoint (the first more than the second), the other two are silly. There are people out there listening to the album who aren't Jay/Ye fans in the first place, you're probably not going to like a Jay/Ye record. Just sayin...and some people who get mad about bragging rappers are the same ones who put on a Young Money CD and put it on blast
laugh.gif
Most rappers brag from Eminem to Rick Ross, and brag a lot. GET. OVER. IT.
Those 2 are definitely the reasons why I'm iffy on getting Watch the Throne. One site that I always go to for reviews (rapreviews, since '98) has the beats as a 6.5 and the lyrics
as a 7.5. That's great if you're Plies or Waka Flocka, but I expect a lot more out of Jay & Kanye, and I know a lot of other people do too, cause they are definitely fully capable
of way more. Oh well, my expectation were pretty low anyway, and I'll just pick the album up, give it a listen, then go back and listen to [their] old albums like Jay said. Thanks
for that post.

Nawlinsjunkie did make a great point though, cause had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Originally Posted by Rafool

Funny how he blames Jay/Ye for Beyonce's hook on liftoff
laugh.gif

Here some reasons why I see people not liking the album:

-It doesn't sound like a traditional rap record
-Some people listen to the record under a preconceived motion of what THEY want Jay/Ye to sound like in their lyrical themes (ie "Where Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint Jay?" "Where's College Dropout Kanye?"
-You don't like rappers that brag
-You're just not a fan of the dude's music/personality

The first two reasons are understandable from my standpoint (the first more than the second), the other two are silly. There are people out there listening to the album who aren't Jay/Ye fans in the first place, you're probably not going to like a Jay/Ye record. Just sayin...and some people who get mad about bragging rappers are the same ones who put on a Young Money CD and put it on blast
laugh.gif
Most rappers brag from Eminem to Rick Ross, and brag a lot. GET. OVER. IT.
Those 2 are definitely the reasons why I'm iffy on getting Watch the Throne. One site that I always go to for reviews (rapreviews, since '98) has the beats as a 6.5 and the lyrics
as a 7.5. That's great if you're Plies or Waka Flocka, but I expect a lot more out of Jay & Kanye, and I know a lot of other people do too, cause they are definitely fully capable
of way more. Oh well, my expectation were pretty low anyway, and I'll just pick the album up, give it a listen, then go back and listen to [their] old albums like Jay said. Thanks
for that post.

Nawlinsjunkie did make a great point though, cause had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

honestly that *%#%% in the vid can be quiet because wasn't he the same dude calling goblin/odd future great or whatever?

honestly that *%#%% in the vid can be quiet because wasn't he the same dude calling goblin/odd future great or whatever?

i forgot about distant relatives...there was way more substance on there...

i forgot about distant relatives...there was way more substance on there...

Originally Posted by Peep Game

had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

What results? You haven't even heard the album
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Peep Game

had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

What results? You haven't even heard the album
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dhugg003

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget the beautiful black women:
"I mean Marilyn Monroe, she’s quite nice / But why all the pretty icons always all-white? / Put some colored girls in the MOMA / Half these !@!%+$ ain’t got nothing on Wyldna / Don’t make me bring Thelma in it / Bring Halle, Bring Penelope and Selma in it / Back to my Beyoncés"

Originally Posted by Dhugg003

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget the beautiful black women:
"I mean Marilyn Monroe, she’s quite nice / But why all the pretty icons always all-white? / Put some colored girls in the MOMA / Half these !@!%+$ ain’t got nothing on Wyldna / Don’t make me bring Thelma in it / Bring Halle, Bring Penelope and Selma in it / Back to my Beyoncés"

20 pages later

still

Primetime - Basking in the lime, cassius in his prime, coloring out of the line, cause they don't want nobody that's color out of the line, so i'm late as a +$+!*!*%@%$! color people time ... damn yeezy they all gotta be dimes, well adam gave up a rib so mine better be prime
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
word to persia w/ 104 plays of why i love you
laugh.gif

Who's gon stop me
Murder to excellence
no church in the wild

lift off - i can't stand this
n in paris - it's ok
otis - it's ok
gotta have it - short as hell, the beat is growing on me
new day - the autotune ruins this for me ...
that's my - the chorus kills this song
welcome to the jungle - jay kills .. wait ... swizz - enuf said
why i love you - cool track but i
made in america - ehhh
illest mfer - it's ok
ham - this track is growing on me ...
the joy - it's ok

at the end of the day ... the album ain't wack ... but so much potential this record had ... from ye singing on lift off to too much autotune, to frank ocean being on the album 2x, to horrible hooks (word to that's my and welcome to the jungle), switching hot beats to weaker ones i.e. who gon stop me, welcome to the jungle beat is terrible but the part where it's switched up is
pimp.gif
(should have been the primary beat) ... at the end of the day i have just way too many compliants ... call me picky [/kanye shrug]

i'm still gonna blast it in the whip though ...

Back
Top Bottom