<>Kanye West & Jay-Z 'Watch The Throne'<> Ns in PARIS video on pg. 290

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Funny how he blames Jay/Ye for Beyonce's hook on liftoff
laugh.gif

Here some reasons why I see people not liking the album:

-It doesn't sound like a traditional rap record
-Some people listen to the record under a preconceived motion of what THEY want Jay/Ye to sound like in their lyrical themes (ie "Where Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint Jay?" "Where's College Dropout Kanye?"
-You don't like rappers that brag
-You're just not a fan of the dude's music/personality

The first two reasons are understandable from my standpoint (the first more than the second), the other two are silly. There are people out there listening to the album who aren't Jay/Ye fans in the first place, you're probably not going to like a Jay/Ye record. Just sayin...and some people who get mad about bragging rappers are the same ones who put on a Young Money CD and put it on blast
laugh.gif
Most rappers brag from Eminem to Rick Ross, and brag a lot. GET. OVER. IT.
Those 2 are definitely the reasons why I'm iffy on getting Watch the Throne. One site that I always go to for reviews (rapreviews, since '98) has the beats as a 6.5 and the lyrics
as a 7.5. That's great if you're Plies or Waka Flocka, but I expect a lot more out of Jay & Kanye, and I know a lot of other people do too, cause they are definitely fully capable
of way more. Oh well, my expectation were pretty low anyway, and I'll just pick the album up, give it a listen, then go back and listen to [their] old albums like Jay said. Thanks
for that post.

Nawlinsjunkie did make a great point though, cause had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

U mean #1 in every country in the world on itunes, those results?

20 pages later

still

Primetime - Basking in the lime, cassius in his prime, coloring out of the line, cause they don't want nobody that's color out of the line, so i'm late as a +$+!*!*%@%$! color people time ... damn yeezy they all gotta be dimes, well adam gave up a rib so mine better be prime
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
word to persia w/ 104 plays of why i love you
laugh.gif

Who's gon stop me
Murder to excellence
no church in the wild

lift off - i can't stand this
n in paris - it's ok
otis - it's ok
gotta have it - short as hell, the beat is growing on me
new day - the autotune ruins this for me ...
that's my - the chorus kills this song
welcome to the jungle - jay kills .. wait ... swizz - enuf said
why i love you - cool track but i
made in america - ehhh
illest mfer - it's ok
ham - this track is growing on me ...
the joy - it's ok

at the end of the day ... the album ain't wack ... but so much potential this record had ... from ye singing on lift off to too much autotune, to frank ocean being on the album 2x, to horrible hooks (word to that's my and welcome to the jungle), switching hot beats to weaker ones i.e. who gon stop me, welcome to the jungle beat is terrible but the part where it's switched up is
pimp.gif
(should have been the primary beat) ... at the end of the day i have just way too many compliants ... call me picky [/kanye shrug]

i'm still gonna blast it in the whip though ...

Funny how he blames Jay/Ye for Beyonce's hook on liftoff
laugh.gif

Here some reasons why I see people not liking the album:

-It doesn't sound like a traditional rap record
-Some people listen to the record under a preconceived motion of what THEY want Jay/Ye to sound like in their lyrical themes (ie "Where Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint Jay?" "Where's College Dropout Kanye?"
-You don't like rappers that brag
-You're just not a fan of the dude's music/personality

The first two reasons are understandable from my standpoint (the first more than the second), the other two are silly. There are people out there listening to the album who aren't Jay/Ye fans in the first place, you're probably not going to like a Jay/Ye record. Just sayin...and some people who get mad about bragging rappers are the same ones who put on a Young Money CD and put it on blast
laugh.gif
Most rappers brag from Eminem to Rick Ross, and brag a lot. GET. OVER. IT.
Those 2 are definitely the reasons why I'm iffy on getting Watch the Throne. One site that I always go to for reviews (rapreviews, since '98) has the beats as a 6.5 and the lyrics
as a 7.5. That's great if you're Plies or Waka Flocka, but I expect a lot more out of Jay & Kanye, and I know a lot of other people do too, cause they are definitely fully capable
of way more. Oh well, my expectation were pretty low anyway, and I'll just pick the album up, give it a listen, then go back and listen to [their] old albums like Jay said. Thanks
for that post.

Nawlinsjunkie did make a great point though, cause had Nas and...hmmm...Lupe (or Common) linked up for a joint album, with the same results, Nas would be getting clowned
from all sides.

U mean #1 in every country in the world on itunes, those results?

I hate it when I am listening to a body of work with such potential and its ruined by unnecessary duds.
"Lift Off" is the usual uplifting song that rappers feel the need to include on their album
& i'm just not feeling "Made it In America" nor do I see why Frank garnered two appearances.
Also, the album is far from a lyrical slugfest..but honestly I didn't go into it expecting that because quite Frankly Jay and 'Ye are in different weight classes
but lyrically it just left something to be desired..and that could be attributed to the album's shortness.
When you have the audacity to ask for outlets to refer to you as "The Throne" I expect a damn near flawless album and that's not what I received.
solid nonetheless, but definitely could have been much better.

I hate it when I am listening to a body of work with such potential and its ruined by unnecessary duds.
"Lift Off" is the usual uplifting song that rappers feel the need to include on their album
& i'm just not feeling "Made it In America" nor do I see why Frank garnered two appearances.
Also, the album is far from a lyrical slugfest..but honestly I didn't go into it expecting that because quite Frankly Jay and 'Ye are in different weight classes
but lyrically it just left something to be desired..and that could be attributed to the album's shortness.
When you have the audacity to ask for outlets to refer to you as "The Throne" I expect a damn near flawless album and that's not what I received.
solid nonetheless, but definitely could have been much better.

Peep Game wrote:
No problem, hope that helped.

IMO while I understand those who like RD Jay or CD Ye (I do as well), I wouldn't want them to make more CDs based on those concepts. They're not at that place now. Jay ain't hustling/assert himself in the rap game and Ye ain't a fledgling producer looking to get his break in the industry - they're made dudes, they're proud of it, and they reflect on the cons and hardships of how they got there. You KNOW that when they put this work out they're perfectly aware of what they're talking about. For me, it's not this is not as good as RD/CD, just different. It goes back to what you enjoy from your music.

Peep Game wrote:
No problem, hope that helped.

IMO while I understand those who like RD Jay or CD Ye (I do as well), I wouldn't want them to make more CDs based on those concepts. They're not at that place now. Jay ain't hustling/assert himself in the rap game and Ye ain't a fledgling producer looking to get his break in the industry - they're made dudes, they're proud of it, and they reflect on the cons and hardships of how they got there. You KNOW that when they put this work out they're perfectly aware of what they're talking about. For me, it's not this is not as good as RD/CD, just different. It goes back to what you enjoy from your music.

Also, people in here are just posting negative reviews - there are a BUNCH of great press reviews for the album as well, and a bunch of music critics enjoy it. Go google them.

Also, people in here are just posting negative reviews - there are a BUNCH of great press reviews for the album as well, and a bunch of music critics enjoy it. Go google them.

Haha don't let it get to you dude.
I love this damn album. 
pimp.gif

Haha don't let it get to you dude.
I love this damn album. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Dhugg003

I think people forgot that this was a rap album, Jay and Ye could have spit the new testament and people would have find flaws. The best thing a rapper can do is be real with his audience and the simply don't live the life they did during the recording of College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt anymore. WTT is a great album it took balls for them to even attempt to make it. Also I love them attempting to promote Black Excellence in alot of tracks. I feel as if this is the main concept of the album. Note how many Elite African Americans are mentioned in this album: Michael Jordan, Mike Jackson, Oprah, Obama, Otis Redding, Will Smith, Beyonce, MLK, Malcom, Fred Hampton, Eddie Murphy, Richord Pryor, etc etc
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget the beautiful black women:
"I mean Marilyn Monroe, she’s quite nice / But why all the pretty icons always all-white? / Put some colored girls in the MOMA / Half these !@!%+$ ain’t got nothing on Wyldna / Don’t make me bring Thelma in it / Bring Halle, Bring Penelope and Selma in it / Back to my Beyoncés"

Jay's verse 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Dhugg003

I think people forgot that this was a rap album, Jay and Ye could have spit the new testament and people would have find flaws. The best thing a rapper can do is be real with his audience and the simply don't live the life they did during the recording of College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt anymore. WTT is a great album it took balls for them to even attempt to make it. Also I love them attempting to promote Black Excellence in alot of tracks. I feel as if this is the main concept of the album. Note how many Elite African Americans are mentioned in this album: Michael Jordan, Mike Jackson, Oprah, Obama, Otis Redding, Will Smith, Beyonce, MLK, Malcom, Fred Hampton, Eddie Murphy, Richord Pryor, etc etc
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget the beautiful black women:
"I mean Marilyn Monroe, she’s quite nice / But why all the pretty icons always all-white? / Put some colored girls in the MOMA / Half these !@!%+$ ain’t got nothing on Wyldna / Don’t make me bring Thelma in it / Bring Halle, Bring Penelope and Selma in it / Back to my Beyoncés"

Jay's verse 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Damn man,where did all this hate for Frank come from? Bet most of the people taking down on him never even heard of him until this album. Go check out "Nostalgia,Ultra" and come back calling him "garbage" again.

Damn man,where did all this hate for Frank come from? Bet most of the people taking down on him never even heard of him until this album. Go check out "Nostalgia,Ultra" and come back calling him "garbage" again.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I'm probably gonna buy this anyway just cause I'm a longtime fan of both of them, but for the people how already have it, what do you
legit think about it? And my that I mean a truly honest opinion of it without being a stan/meatrider. Cause my expectations are pretty low
just cause Jay-Z has been phoning in so much material the past couple of years, and Kanye has been doing more techno-hop than actual
hip hop?
I admit that I got swept up in the wave of hype a bit, but upon several thorough listens, it's a good album. There are a few truly outstanding songs on the album. Even the weaker stuff is solid in one aspect or another.
But it's not what it could have been. It's almost as if they held a coronation to brag about being crowned. If you are what you say you are, why not just let the music do the talking? Also, on several songs their talents sort of sit side by side rather than joining to create something altogether on another level than their individual efforts. 

7.5/10 for me. Not as good a collaborative effort as Distant Relatives.
/\ I agree with this 100%, besides getting swept up in the hype.  I honestly, didn't have high hopes for this album.

SMH at the number of times I've listened to Why I Love You. Just an insane song. Jay went so hard on this. You can tell a lot of the stuff he's talking about is close to his heart.

wsqkb5.png
eyes.gif
 congratulations. 
You let the song play while you where leaving for work/sleep/in the bathroom?
grin.gif

this thread has two completely opposing opinions and no middle ground. Smh at jumping damn near 100+ pages in the three days since I checked it. 

I'm probably gonna buy this anyway just cause I'm a longtime fan of both of them, but for the people how already have it, what do you
legit think about it? And my that I mean a truly honest opinion of it without being a stan/meatrider. Cause my expectations are pretty low
just cause Jay-Z has been phoning in so much material the past couple of years, and Kanye has been doing more techno-hop than actual
hip hop?
I admit that I got swept up in the wave of hype a bit, but upon several thorough listens, it's a good album. There are a few truly outstanding songs on the album. Even the weaker stuff is solid in one aspect or another.
But it's not what it could have been. It's almost as if they held a coronation to brag about being crowned. If you are what you say you are, why not just let the music do the talking? Also, on several songs their talents sort of sit side by side rather than joining to create something altogether on another level than their individual efforts. 

7.5/10 for me. Not as good a collaborative effort as Distant Relatives.
/\ I agree with this 100%, besides getting swept up in the hype.  I honestly, didn't have high hopes for this album.

SMH at the number of times I've listened to Why I Love You. Just an insane song. Jay went so hard on this. You can tell a lot of the stuff he's talking about is close to his heart.

wsqkb5.png
eyes.gif
 congratulations. 
You let the song play while you where leaving for work/sleep/in the bathroom?
grin.gif

this thread has two completely opposing opinions and no middle ground. Smh at jumping damn near 100+ pages in the three days since I checked it. 

Didn't expect a crazy lyrical album, but I did expect more of a middle ground. Like Youtube review said, it was more Jay and Ye's celebrity personality rapping instead of just them spittin. Last solo efforts from both, shared the same sentiment. There are ways to brag-rap and be somewhat lyrical with some substance. How is it that Jay can put out The Black Album, and Ye can put out Late Registration, yet when they join together they made a Teflon Don meets Adventures of Bobby Ray hybrid album?

But w/e it's Jay and Ye....and they can do no wrong on anything they put out, and everything is a classic so
pimp.gif

btw I do enjoy the album...just pointing out that, the hype is suffocating.

-The Juice

Didn't expect a crazy lyrical album, but I did expect more of a middle ground. Like Youtube review said, it was more Jay and Ye's celebrity personality rapping instead of just them spittin. Last solo efforts from both, shared the same sentiment. There are ways to brag-rap and be somewhat lyrical with some substance. How is it that Jay can put out The Black Album, and Ye can put out Late Registration, yet when they join together they made a Teflon Don meets Adventures of Bobby Ray hybrid album?

But w/e it's Jay and Ye....and they can do no wrong on anything they put out, and everything is a classic so
pimp.gif

-The Juice

I think before the album even came out people already knew they were going to come in here with a negative opinion...

Same with other people.. They knew no matter what they were going to come in here with a :-O opinion...

Im blown away.. Because I expected it to be hot, but once I heard it, it exceeded my expectations and then more.

To each their own tho.

Anybody whose had a negative opinion about it, I just say "I feel you.. different strokes for different folks"

and then crank my system to like 25 and slap my life away :-O

Put IMFA or Who Gon Stop Me in your system...

..and if you dont get chills.. You need some better speakers and subs.

I think before the album even came out people already knew they were going to come in here with a negative opinion...

Same with other people.. They knew no matter what they were going to come in here with a :-O opinion...

Im blown away.. Because I expected it to be hot, but once I heard it, it exceeded my expectations and then more.

To each their own tho.

Anybody whose had a negative opinion about it, I just say "I feel you.. different strokes for different folks"

and then crank my system to like 25 and slap my life away :-O

Put IMFA or Who Gon Stop Me in your system...

..and if you dont get chills.. You need some better speakers and subs.

pimp.gif

-The Juice

indifferent.gif
,you're joking right?
And of course this album isn't perfect but it's one of the best rap albums this year. 

The same way some people already made up their mind that they were gonna love the album before it even came out,other people made up their mind that they weren't gonna like it. 
30t6p3b.gif
 at both

pimp.gif

-The Juice

indifferent.gif
,you're joking right?
And of course this album isn't perfect but it's one of the best rap albums this year. 

The same way some people already made up their mind that they were gonna love the album before it even came out,other people made up their mind that they weren't gonna like it. 
30t6p3b.gif
 at both

Back
Top Bottom