Kanye West Pastelle Appreciation/Graveyard Thread

Urban wear is terrible. Kanye's line is terrible. Do people here like it because it's Kanye?
Nah man

I honestly wish the Yeezy's were Adidas or some ****

The silhouette of the 2's are crazy

Why hasn't NSW done a high fashion yet almost athletic shoe that isn't corny

And as for the jackets, I'd almost say that if the blue jacket with the Jurrassic Park font were Fubu, I'd have copped 10

Almost
roll.gif

But to answer your question in short, my appreciation for this line has nothing to do with Ye

Urban wear is terrible. Kanye's line is terrible. Do people here like it because it's Kanye?
Nah man

I honestly wish the Yeezy's were Adidas or some ****

The silhouette of the 2's are crazy

Why hasn't NSW done a high fashion yet almost athletic shoe that isn't corny

And as for the jackets, I'd almost say that if the blue jacket with the Jurrassic Park font were Fubu, I'd have copped 10

Almost
roll.gif

But to answer your question in short, my appreciation for this line has nothing to do with Ye
Uh...I'm going to say "BS" on that.

I honestly can say (almost objectively) that there were hotter street wear lines than than Pastelle. 

Oh and what sample size are you referring to? There WAS no Pastelle line. It was a bunch of stuff Ye wore and barely had a catalog for. 

Last edited:
I always liked that blue Pastelle bomber/varsity jacket

And that yellow crew neck. A black or heather grey crew would have been fire.

Too bad it never dropped though... Ah well..

Last edited:
Kinda glad it never took off.

Black Entertainers don't really do right by their clothing lines IMO. I'm just being honest here.

You either commit fully or you don't...and that means leaving the rap game entirely.

Streetwear isn't where its at if you're over 25.

I know theres always the "wear what you want and not to impress people" argument, but if its Kanye you know people will be checking for it. So then you don't want to make it sound like you're wearing it because its Kanye but then you don't want to look like the clown who doesn't have any taste because everyone knows what it is.

Entertainment and fashion doesn't meld too well if the pieces are TOO recognizable.

And even further, entertainers brands OD on branding. I don't need my label on my clothes like that.

When has kanye ever not fully committed to what he does? he's the hardest working god on the planet
pastelle didn't really scream streetwear, though, it wasn't like what you would see in sean jean, rocawear etc
kanye doesn't even need to have is own brand b. he did the yeezys had every rapper wearing his ****, even pete wentz and lil wayne who apparently has/had beef with GOOD music/pusha t. thats how hot kanyes **** is b.
nobody in hip hop was really checkin givenchy, the all red look, or the leather pants/waxed denim until he touched it either. now its becoming oversaturated.
if pastelle would have launched, it would be highly coveted, sought after and set countless trends
Ye has always been able to evolve and not be repetitive, thats why hes still highly relevant today.

how can we appreciate something that never was? outside of a few samples, we have no idea what their gear would have looked like or what direction it would have took.

as for the rapper/musician clothing lines, along with the fact that most of the time they are poorly designed and constructed many of them try to emulate the feeling/look of another brand. (how many ralph lauren/gucci bites have there been throughout the years?) and that is no key to success or longevity. and half the time the artist wont even wear their own ****.

Kanye bombed out with that line he had in paris a few years ago too.

Dude got horrible reviews on the runway. 

The fashion industry is rough man. Its not made for people who half *** it. I mean for as much as we can talk about how superficial it is, it still exists and even at a basic level you know what you like and what you don't like...and aura has a lot to do with it.

Even if kanye's pieces were FIRE, it wouldn't matter because you'd still in the back of your head not take it seriously because kanye has this sense of just being so spastic about everything that you wouldn't think it was sincere. Rappers ruined that credibility and they're not going to give it to him easily.

Remember when he was talking about changing the world on twitter? He sounds like a teenager with no direction sometimes. I mean yeah, hes successful in music, but just stay there man.  

Leave the real branching out to dudes like Elon Musk or Branson who can aren't sitting around and not executing. :lol:

I bet if Branson dropped a line, it'd be ON POINT. :lol:

Forgot about that women's line thing he tried. I fail to understand how he did that, but didn't give Men's wear a try.

It was called Donda, so maybe it's something he felt was for his mom, IDK.

I wonder where Ye would be if his mom never died and he never interrupted Taylor.

I'd trade MBDTF for Pastelle and the potential great art we could have gotten.

NAH CHILL OUT GOD

I appreciate that it never came out

Kanye riders are the worst :smh:

people be balling with Yeezy's and $2000 outfits w/ a salary of $15k a year

How would it change you if the line did drop???

Why does it concern you about what people do with their money.

if things don't make sense. i'm a little bit drunk.

Streetwear is hard to produce, especially with the artistic creativity and taste Kanye has, I think most of his current work is a lot more sophisticated and tasteful.

Black Entertainers don't really do right by their clothing lines IMO. I'm just being honest here.

You either commit fully or you don't...and that means leaving the rap game entirely.

I know theres always the "wear what you want and not to impress people" argument, but if its Kanye you know people will be checking for it. So then you don't want to make it sound like you're wearing it because its Kanye but then you don't want to look like the clown who doesn't have any taste because everyone knows what it is.

Entertainment and fashion doesn't meld too well if the pieces are TOO recognizable.

And even further, entertainers brands OD on branding. I don't need my label on my clothes like that.
When has kanye ever not fully committed to what he does? he's the hardest working god on the planet
pastelle didn't really scream streetwear, though, it wasn't like what you would see in sean jean, rocawear etc
kanye doesn't even need to have is own brand b. he did the yeezys had every rapper wearing his ****, even pete wentz and lil wayne who apparently has/had beef with GOOD music/pusha t. thats how hot kanyes **** is b.
nobody in hip hop was really checkin givenchy, the all red look, or the leather pants/waxed denim until he touched it either. now its becoming oversaturated.
if pastelle would have launched, it would be highly coveted, sought after and set countless trends
Ye has always been able to evolve and not be repetitive, thats why hes still highly relevant today.
Which is why I wouldn't wear it partly.

If it has PASTELLE plastered on it, then i just become a walking billboard. I've always appreciated subtle and unique design more than huge letters and loud color clashes. 

You're not a jack of all trades until you show that. Ye has only made shoes and while those are successful, its nothing like making continuous lines of clothes with enough diversity to satisfy several price points WHILE being fresh enough to actually want to buy. You can't do that being half in and half out of the industry. He can stick to just spending his money on other brands for now and influencing other people to purchase that. It doesn't have to be cheap. I hope it wouldn't be. But I expect quality more than anything and these rapper lines, no matter how they market them always cut corners. If Ye is going to really do that and be the person to break that stereotype he has to earn that...you don't get to predict what he can do. There is a pattern. He can change the whole scene if he wants, but until he does there is the track record that speaks for itself. 

Last edited:
Not sure it's fair to assess the line based off of a few samples that we saw back in the day. So many directions the company could have gone in, I will say though with the way Ye influences others style this line could have easily turned into a staple brand and not even on the heavy streetwear tip either. Imagine those waxed leather jeans being produced by Pastelle? And LOL at the BBC slander in here, up until maybe a year ago Pharrell was always bringing something fresh to the brand, to call it a half assed attempt is completely inaccurate imo. P was always wearing BBC/IC stuff to almost any and every event he attended.

Last edited:
Real talk Kanye wanted to work with bape and Nigo flat out denied him.At one point time kanye wasn't even allowed by bape to buy one of their backpacks dudes told him no .Pharrell wasn't allowed to work with Nigo until he hooked up the teriyaki boys with beats and then he got his aid on ice cream and bbc.Kanye is cool his line would have been good for two years had he not had the tsylor swift incident.
I hate the fact hat z bought bbc dude is the worst owner of any franchise or business in hip hop

Real talk Kanye wanted to work with bape and Nigo flat out denied him.At one point time kanye wasn't even allowed by bape to buy one of their backpacks dudes told him no .Pharrell wasn't allowed to work with Nigo until he hooked up the teriyaki boys with beats and then he got his aid on ice cream and bbc.Kanye is cool his line would have been good for two years had he not had the tsylor swift incident.
I hate the fact hat z bought bbc dude is the worst owner of any franchise or business in hip hop

Sources for all this information? And Jay didn't buy BBC from my understanding.

Y'all calling me wild for saying I'd take Pastelle over MBDTF
laugh.gif

If we didn't have MBDTF we woulda had Good *** Job

But yeah like dude said, if Pastelle did those leather pants or the Wooden Jesus Pieces?

Man.

I know theres always the "wear what you want and not to impress people" argument, but if its Kanye you know people will be checking for it.  So then you don't want to make it sound like you're wearing it because its Kanye but then you don't want to look like the clown who doesn't have any taste because everyone knows what it is.

I thought I was on the Hypebeast forums for a second.

This.

jay-z-bbc-pharrell.jpg

Starting a brand is hard .Pastelle was blatantly biting bape and AMBUSH that's one of the reason why it would have failed right there .Pastelle was out of spite because he couldn't get down with BAPE Heavy he got some kicks but that's it.BBC ice cream is directionless right now they are in limbo as far as design and direction .

Jay did buy BBC. I remember the confusion cause people thought he had bought the British Broadcasting Network lol

edit: oh, well yea a partnership, my fault. but like dudes said, bbc is everywhere now so I'm sure that was a part of Jay "partnering" with them. I can see why they wouldn't really wanna alienate and drive away their buyers tho by saying Jay just flat out bought it.
Dam that's crazy. Kanye hopped on a track with the Teriyaki Boyz tho. Maybe that had something to do with it

Last edited:
Japanese brands are xenophobic because they know how fickle and dumb the American market it is.Look what happened to bape when it became popular in america tons of dudes were wearing fake bape .Thats why brands in Japan can sell shorts ,hoodies for hundreds of dollars because folks respect the design and competitive pricing to have a unique and dope piece of clothing,Its also psychological too you live in a homogenous culture post ww2 you want to stand out by any means and by any price point.In Japan a small streetwear brand can be successful because of that while in America that is the opposite the clothes .

Japanese brands are xenophobic because they know how fickle and dumb the American market it is.Look what happened to bape when it became popular in america tons of dudes were wearing fake bape .Thats why brands in Japan can sell shorts ,hoodies for hundreds of dollars because folks respect the design and competitive pricing to have a unique and dope piece of clothing,Its also psychological too you live in a homogenous culture post ww2 you want to stand out by any means and by any price point.In Japan a small streetwear brand can be successful because of that while in America that is the opposite the clothes .
insightful post man. I can see exactly why Nigo didn't want to initally work with Pharrell and Ye. Dudes just ran thru bape and made it a fad to the point where only one in a few people actually wear bape. Most of the time, if you wear it you'll be told how you "still" rockin bape. which is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom