Kellen "I'm A Soldier" Winslow Jr. : Life is done

CTE is an easy answer - but this behavior started forming allegedly as a teenager.

Some think CTE helps magnify genetic problems:

“The way I view CTE is: Just like any debilitating brain disorder, it will bring out genetic problems and make them worse,” says Dr. Robert Cantu, professor of neurology and neurosurgery at Boston University. “If you were genetically programmed to have a problem with, for instance, aberrant sexual behavior, put CTE on top of it and it’s just like pouring kerosene on a fire.

“However, you have to balance that with this: The overwhelming majority of people who commit the kind of acts that Kellen Winslow is alleged to have committed didn’t play football in the NFL, didn’t have repetitive head trauma, and, clearly, CTE wasn’t why they did what they did.”

And another update:

Kellen Winslow headed to second rape trial in September, will remain in jail

Former NFL star Kellen Winslow II is headed to a second rape trial here this fall after his first trial ended in a mistrial this week on eight of the 12 charges against him.

San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan announced Friday that her office would retry Winslow on all eight of those pending charges in a trial set to begin Sept. 30 with jury selection.

The jury in the first trial did convict Winslow of three charges, including felony rape of a 58-year-old homeless woman on the side of the road in May 2018. Those convictions still stand and could send him to prison for up to nine years.

Winslow, 35, will remain in jail here in the meantime. His attorney, Brian Watkins, asked Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman Friday to have him released on $1 million bail and confined to his house with GPS monitoring. But Bowman denied that request in court.

Additional felony convictions could keep Winslow, who is married with children, behind bars for the rest of his life.

UPDATE, Kellen Winslow still has not been sentenced yet (status conference was supposed to happen today)

Winslow, 37, was convicted in June of 2019, and because of a plea deal faces between 12 and 18 years in state prison.

His sentencing was initially scheduled for March 18, 2020 but was postponed indefinitely due to concerns over the coronavirus.

Defense attorney Gretchen von Helms argued that Winslow was entitled to be physically present when sentencing arguments are made. She said that those hearings should not be set until early next year.

Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens argued for a possible November sentencing date, saying it was "speculative" to claim live hearings might not be available until next year.

I always knew this dude had issues mentally since the early 2000s when he equated himself to a soldier after that game in college. A battlefield with weapons and live ammunition rife with death and destruction and a football field with protective gear and regulations with full contact are clearly two different things.

My friend's older brother thought he was an entitled kid who grew up with money, but no discipline and humbleness instilled in him. And that was back in the 2000s.

Mental issues compounded with being enabled still isn't justification for his sexual misconduct and severely perverse habits.

I think we can lay some of the blame on his parenting. I doubt his Hall Of Fame dad pressured him to play football so he could follow in his footsteps. I feel Jr. made the choice to play ball himself. I think some of his problems stemmed from his dad being solely focused on his football aspirations and trying to mold him into an elite player which caused him to overlook the son's transgressions at a young age.

He was also enabled in college when that booster at The U who was eventually imprisoned, Nevin Shapiro, spoiled him with money, material things, and connections.

Good luck with that "CTE from playing football" defense because that fool has been doing all this 💩 since he was a kid. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom