Kid Cudi rants about Label support on twitter

i got a twitter brah, i seen it.

grin.gif

I've wondered about this too though.

Why didn't he get more of a look on Cruel Summer? Ye usin Pusha and Big Sean but leavin his most creative artist on the shelf...weird

But didn't they do the same for him when he came out. Then insert line about the fame or fans or money. His head got big and others took his spot.

after what I've seen recently with "unsigned" rap artists with obvious marketing $$$ behind them.
I don't believe the independent thing is even real anymore

for all we know even TechN9ne has an investor we don't know :lol:

Last edited:
As much of a dissapointment that WZRD was, he still should've gotten more label support for that with Teleport 2 Me, Jaime. That could've been a solid single if it was pushed right... They released the video more than a half a year after the album dropped (which was undershipped btw). But if we're going with the excuse that it was a rock album, then he should atleast be getting more support with Indicud, which besides the videos, hasn't been much.

So far with this album, he's released Just What I Am which is a great track, & he's right, it should be getting more publicity. Its been making no noise when if you ask any Cudi fan, its got that classic Cudi feel. That's a track that needs to be pushed by the label to get some noise going for his upcoming album, that I gurantee a lot of people don't know about.

I don't know what the letter is really trying to say. Should Cudi do more? Is it saying he shouldn't have signed with a major and now he is just screwed? The artists job as far as im concerned is to make good music. Which Cudi is doing....the major label should handle the rest right? IDK

But IndiCud will be purchased. I don't care who puts it out....independent or major. I love Cuid's music and wish he would get more shine because he honestly deserves it. MOTM 1 and 2 are excellent albums

MOTM 1 went gold
MOTM 2 went gold

I don't see why the label balks at him like he won't move units.....WZRD prob messed everything up for him but the label didn't do anything for that album i couldn't find that thing in stores anywhere when it came out had to order the hard copy off line

Fan or not, he makes a valid point. I fox wit Cudi, his two albums are better than most new artists whole collection.

Cudi helped usher in this new wave of emo "I cut myself to feel better" *** ****** out here. 

Remember some ***** on here called him the "modern day Bob Marley". If I could have I would have killed the ***** for saying such.

At the end of the day he's easily one of the most versatile and better artist out there and i ain't even really into other genre's like that but this kid makes GREAT music. He has ye in his corner and a cult following he's still gonna go gold so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter

after what I've seen recently with "unsigned" rap artists with obvious marketing $$$ behind them.
I don't believe the independent thing is even real anymore

for all we know even TechN9ne has an investor we don't know :lol:

I don't know why anyone would have ever believed that "unsigned" or "independent" meant no money or resources.

That was never the case. That's the point he's making.

Drake is a great example. When he was unsigned, he still had the Hip Hop since 78 crew working his music. So he was an artist that, with that management and network, didn't HAVE to sign with a major.

I don't really know where to begin here. Fact is, not every artist needs to be on the radio and doesn't need to. I said that in the Ebro thread.

Cudi and his fans make him out to be this musical genius, I'm surprised he even cares about radio spins. But then again, I'm not.

And you can't be a rapper one day, then a tortured soul of an alternative rock singer the next day, then a rapper again and expect the same radio stations to ride with you the whole way through. If they hear yoru new "rap" record and it doesn't sound like a "hit" to them, it likely ain't happening.

He has ye in his corner

:lol:

This made me laugh.

You know who's corner "Ye" is in?

Kanye's corner, that's who's.

Last edited:
It's a black music dilemma .Black Artist sign to labels where they are viewed as completely disposable and a benchmark for something new .Black Artist have to fight harder to have a career in music they aren't expected to Espicially rappers who have been deemed the most disposable of all music genres,rappers can get murked,go to jail,get dropped and their will be a new guy with his gimmick or style ready to start at the drop of a dime.Rappers now are forced to give away hundreds of hours crafting music for free and if they don't fans and labels won't give them support.Artist aren't rewarded for consistency of quality of work they are rewarded for volume of work done now.Kid Cudi could have worked on his next two albums and I guarantee he is expected to give away atleast one for free on a mixtape and he isn't trying to do that because he doesn't make music to just throw away and he isn't wasting studio time.

.Im not even a fan of kid Cudi but when he went on complex saying how isnt a rapper label cats probably saw that and are forcing him to rap again so they can use it as free promo and save them money. GOOD music shifted from trying to put out whole albums to them literally going with whatever is hot in the streets right now.Cudi can't find no home in a direction like that .Add the fact its damn near like he isn't even a member of the crew anymore he is getting shafted hard half of GOOD MUSIC PROMO is just hanging around and being associated with Kanye.
So a cat like Pusha T / Big Seanwho literally has nothing better to do except give away free music and pop up wearing sneakers on nicekicks gets better press and more boost.

Back to my black music dilemma these labels don't truly care about these artist developments they want the same formulaic sound as the first album on the third you go to the rock division of universal and they probably got dudes who on their 6th album and still doing what they want nobody telling them to use the same riffs from their debut or drum solos etc.Black artist don't have the freedom to sit back and say well I'm gonna change my entire sound up or well I'm gonna stop rapping about x topic or I'm gonna start singing dudes will lose all help damn near and be forced to get on twitter and complain look at Lupe they literally forced him to make LASERS from B.O.Bs beats .Its really sad and depressing when you think about it.

The thing with Kanye is that he cares about music first... cudi cares about music first so at the end of the day having a close relationship with one of the best musicians in the world right now and having an innovative guy you can bounce ideas off of and work together with is a big help.

I don't think cudi wants to reach Superstar status at the same time he doesnt want to just make music in vein & imo his label is giving him what they always have i don't remember seeing damn near any promo for MOTM2 and it damn sure wasnt getting play on hip hop stations and he still outsold most cats.

cudi is going to drop a great material and he's one of the biggest cats as far as blog/internet support goes & unlike a chief keef/ lil b his fans will support his **** to the fullest so once again i think he's over reacting with the rant and yall are overreacting with the fake A&R **** yall spewing

I don't think cudi wants to reach Superstar status at the same time he doesnt want to just make music in vein & imo his label is giving him what they always have i don't remember seeing damn near any promo for MOTM2 and it damn sure wasnt getting play on hip hop stations and he still outsold most cats.

What were the songs off of this album that were supposed to get played on "Hip Hop stations"? The singles were Revofev and Erase Me.

Who are these "fake a** A+R's" you speak of? What does this have to do with A+R?

This has to do with radio. That's what he's complaining about. And there is nothing fake about what I know in terms of radio.

It's a black music dilemma .Black Artist sign to labels where they are viewed as completely disposable and a benchmark for something new .Black Artist have to fight harder to have a career in music they aren't expected to Espicially rappers who have been deemed the most disposable of all music genres,rappers can get murked,go to jail,get dropped and their will be a new guy with his gimmick or style ready to start at the drop of a dime.Rappers now are forced to give away hundreds of hours crafting music for free and if they don't fans and labels won't give them support.Artist aren't rewarded for consistency of quality of work they are rewarded for volume of work done now.Kid Cudi could have worked on his next two albums and I guarantee he is expected to give away atleast one for free on a mixtape and he isn't trying to do that because he doesn't make music to just throw away and he isn't wasting studio time.

.Im not even a fan of kid Cudi but when he went on complex saying how isnt a rapper label cats probably saw that and are forcing him to rap again so they can use it as free promo and save them money. GOOD music shifted from trying to put out whole albums to them literally going with whatever is hot in the streets right now.Cudi can't find no home in a direction like that .Add the fact its damn near like he isn't even a member of the crew anymore he is getting shafted hard half of GOOD MUSIC PROMO is just hanging around and being associated with Kanye.
So a cat like Pusha T / Big Seanwho literally has nothing better to do except give away free music and pop up wearing sneakers on nicekicks gets better press and more boost.

Back to my black music dilemma these labels don't truly care about these artist developments they want the same formulaic sound as the first album on the third you go to the rock division of universal and they probably got dudes who on their 6th album and still doing what they want nobody telling them to use the same riffs from their debut or drum solos etc.Black artist don't have the freedom to sit back and say well I'm gonna change my entire sound up or well I'm gonna stop rapping about x topic or I'm gonna start singing dudes will lose all help damn near and be forced to get on twitter and complain look at Lupe they literally forced him to make LASERS from B.O.Bs beats .Its really sad and depressing when you think about it.

You're not wrong. You're playing a race card here. I'm not naive enough to say it's not a "race" thing. But realistically, they do all of this to "non black artists" too. They're all disposable unless they're profitable.

What's weird is that you're talking about GOOD Music. Which isn't a major. It's a boutique label. And it's one that you think would be artist friendly because it's run by artists. So is this "black on black crime"?

Cudi, from what I can tell, has had 2 radio records. "Day + Nite", which was on the radio before he had a deal (hence the belief he could have gone indie), and "Make Her Say", which given the "Pokerface" connection and how huge Gaga was at the time was the PERFECT record for Hip Hop radio to play.

I just don't view Cudi as a radio artist. I think that's what people like about him. So I don't know why he's buggin'. He can do just fine without it.

^^^

Great record. My favorite off the album. Didn't chart anywhere though.

Day N Nite and Make Her Say did.

Perfect example of a Cudi record. A little rap. A little electronic. A little alternative. Doesn't have a natural home on any given radio station.

Hence.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom