Kobe X Official Thread Elite Series ‘Elite Team’ April 18th, ‘Elevate’ May 15th, ‘Rose Gold’ June 5

Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time.[2] The rationale behind the strategy is to generate long-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle").

Firms that pursue this strategy believe that the additional sales revenue it creates more than offsets the additional costs of research and development and opportunity costs of existing product line cannibalization. The rewards are by no means certain: in a competitive industry, this can be a risky strategy because consumers may decide to buy from competitors.

Planned obsolescence tends to work best when a producer has at least an oligopoly.[3] Before introducing a planned obsolescence, the producer has to know that the consumer is at least somewhat likely to buy a replacement from them In these cases of planned obsolescence, there is an information asymmetry between the producer – who knows how long the product was designed to last – and the consumer, who does not. When a market becomes more competitive, product lifespans tend to increase.[citation needed] For example, when Japanese vehicles with longer lifespans entered the American market in the 1960s and 1970s, American carmakers were forced to respond by building more durable products.[4]

How many of you knew how quickly lunar bottoms out? Or would've known if not for something like NT? I personally didn't know until I came down from a jump and felt my foot come in contact with the floor as if I didn't even have shoes on. Definitely didn't notice it being talked about in any of the commercials or some type of warning label.

Last edited:
How many of you knew how quickly lunar bottoms out? Or would've known if not for something like NT? I personally didn't know until I came down from a jump and felt my foot come in contact with the floor as if I didn't even have shoes on

Interesting

I'm not aware of how quickly lunar bottoms out

Just wow at those all -star Kobe 10's. Wonder if that colorway was wear tested and that same thing happened or just an isolated incident?

How many of you knew how quickly lunar bottoms out? Or would've known if not for something like NT? I personally didn't know until I came down from a jump and felt my foot come in contact with the floor as if I didn't even have shoes on

Interesting

I'm not aware of how quickly lunar bottoms out

for the $$$ that you are paying, quickly. matter of fact TOO QUICKLY if you use them for hooping

Last edited:
for the $$$ that you are paying, quickly. matter of fact TOO QUICKLY if you use them for hooping

And the fact that they don't even sell replacement insoles. Your only choice would be to buy a whole new pair. They give you no indication whatsoever that the product is faulty and then raise the price to make you think it's not just some cheap crap, which it is. Planned obsolescence, oligopoly, textbook shady business practices. Nike out here selling lemons

Last edited:
And the fact that they don't even sell replacement insoles. Your only choice would be to buy a whole new pair. They give you no indication whatsoever that the product is faulty and then raise the price to make you think it's not just some cheap crap, which it is. Planned obsolescence, oligopoly, textbook shady business practices. Nike out here selling lemons
I wouldn't go that far. The product wasn't faulty, it's just the Lunarlon in the 8's was too soft and they bottomed out fairly quickly. Some people still consider the 8's one of the best Kobe's to date. For what it's worth, Nike used to sell replacement Lunarlon insoles, but not too many people bought them, so they took them off. I think they were like 40$. Also, the 9 has much thicker and denser Lunarlon, None of my pairs have bottomed out yet.

or you could have just used a pair of Jordan 2012 insoles

View media item 1386615
View media item 1386616

or you could have just used a pair of Jordan 2012 insoles

View media item 1386615
View media item 1386616

Now this is what I don't get, when spending this kind of money why do you have to import insoles from other shoes that weren't built for that shoe? If you look at youtube reviews on the Kobe 9 people would say insert the LeBron 11 insole inside the Kobe 9 for a better ride when the lunarlon bottoms out.

Not coming at you Magic1978, but just putting it out there.

Last edited:
I dont understand why you guys are wowed by the " technology" year after year to be let down once you get the products or see flaws in them. 

Technological advancements on avg occur once every 5 yrs and even then its hit or miss. 

The KBX is an marginal advancement over KB9 but the line hasnt improved dramatically since the KBV 

I sorta agree with @xCautioNx;  if this shoe didnt have the Kobe branding no one would be interested 

I sorta agree with @xCautioNx;  if this shoe didnt have the Kobe branding no one would be interested 

That was very well put. I think with as plain as this shoe is, if they werent "Kobes" they would be no  more popular than the Crusaders.

Does anyone know if any of the all star gear (shirts, socks, hoodies, etc) have hit retail stores/ Nike stores yet?

well he has a point. you can't just show the result of the experiment without discussing how you did the experiment. either way tho i'm not copping.

The Good - ASGs to me were nasty anyways with that tab and overwhelming random silver...but I know a lot of people liked em' and the midsole/ousole is nice.  Luckily, it seems like that overlay on the medial side that is breaking down is just the all-star game color way.  Seems like the regular drops should be fine. Blue lagoons here I come. 

The Bad - That's pathetic for a shoe that expensive to be falling apart after a few games.  A multi-billion dollar company can't even properly test the materials they are putting on shoes?  

The Ugly - Nike decides to put the ASG feature on nike ID...lol. Really? That option is going to get like 0 sales.  I guess for the casual shoe wearers they might still stay in tact...but Its the principle of buying something like that that is so damn flimsy.  ****, even wearing casually it'll prob break down eventually - I mean these rips are after only a few games...so pathetic. 

EDit - and lol at that video ^^^ .  Just like the genius video, it's like watching a bunch of uncoordinated/unathletic people trying to play ball and then give reviews 

Last edited:
no nightwing 
nerd.gif

I need to start a blog/youtube channel so I can get free shoes  

Back
Top Bottom