**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

This was discussed at the barbershop today, although it doesn't involve the Lakers:

Last edited:
So Jerry west "might be intrigued " by an offer from the Lakers

He must know Jimbo has one foot out the door

I think Lakers have a strong chance of getting Jerry back if the 'sources' are right. Magic will be in Jeanie's ear, we can pay him an absurd amount of money, and put Ryan West in the line of succession once Jerry inevitably steps down. Please basketball gods...

i don't even think this is much of a change. More to do with public perception than anything. I'm sure Mitch, Ryan & Jerry will still be involved some way or another. I'm all for adding voices to the room, I just don't see how this is that big of a deal (other than public perception)

i don't even think this is much of a change. More to do with public perception than anything. I'm sure Mitch, Ryan & Jerry will still be involved some way or another. I'm all for adding voices to the room, I just don't see how this is that big of a deal (other than public perception)
I think the big deal is actually giving the organization an identity. Right now, I don't think the Lakers have an identity on what the franchise is trying to do. Seems like they're just winging it by a lot of the questionable moves. At least this can get the culture going in the right way.

More importantly the names Jerry West and Magic Johnson do actually resonate with players. We've been doing terribly in free agency not even getting meetings, this is hopefully the beginning of bringing credibility back to the "brand".

Yeah. I understand that aspect of it but fail to see how this will effect anything else. I mean the lakers are good at drafting so I don't wanna change that. If it helps get better free agents, then cool. Should've done that last year but better late than never I guess.

I think the big deal is actually giving the organization an identity. Right now, I don't think the Lakers have an identity on what the franchise is trying to do. Seems like they're just winging it by a lot of the questionable moves. At least this can get the culture going in the right way.

"Winging it"

It's a rebuild , what else is the team supposed to do
The team got off to a surprisingly 10-10 start and then LA got a cold December month
The team has already surpassed the win total from last year and could still win more than expected

Rookie coach - who we went after
Really Young core - who we drafted
Solid vets- NY and Lou on very team friendly deals
Over paid vets in Moz and deng cause we were gonna have to overpay regardless

Not sure "winging it" defines what the team has done

Last edited:
"Winging it"

The team got off to a surprisingly 10-10 start and then LA got a cold December month
The team has already surpassed the win total from last year

Winging it in the sense that none of this was really planned outside of NY, Lou and those terrible signings this past summer. I guess you can say Luke was planned too. These clowns have tried to "compete" and sold a false bill of goods ever since that Kobe deal. They just really lucked up into a lot of the young core. 

And @SoHi 23  after this season (if we keep this pick) willing, the draft aspect of the team will no longer be important. Where we've done really horribly since Jim took the reigns is in free agency and that's quite frankly where we need to show the greatest amount of improvement. And how we really take that next step to getting back on the right track. 

Last edited:

"Winging it"

The team has already surpassed the win total from last year and could still win more than expected

I seriously doubt Jerry West and co give Deng and Moz those contracts. 

Having those names in there also gives you credibility with the fan base so you don't feel like you have to do something drastic like that to save your job.

We didn't "have to overpay regardless", that's all on Jim.

It's not a coincidence that they drafted Russell Ingram etc. The team has been projected to be within their lottery protection for the last 3 seasons. They had to know what they were doing when they hired Byron and gave him that early termination option. They put the facade of competition on it but they absolutely took measures to keep these picks

It's not a coincidence that they drafted Russell Ingram etc. The team has been projected to be within their lottery protection for the last 3 seasons. They had to know what they were doing when they hired Byron and gave him that early termination option. They put the facade of competition on it but they absolutely took measures to keep these picks
Lol ok. 

So preserving cap and making signings wasn't something planned?
Taking on 1 year rental pieces and hoping to be competitive isn't something worth giving them credit ?

When no one would give us the time of day during free agency

And yes, we were gonna have to overpay regardless
You guys saw the deals being dealt out

Out of guys like Moz, Joachim, RLopez, Bismack ...tell me who is underpaid ?

Same for deng (yes I know he's the oldest) , Evan turner, crabbe, baemore ?

All them cats are overpaid,

Last edited:
Taking on 1 year rental pieces and hoping to be competitive isn't something worth giving them credit ?

Same for deng (yes I know he's the oldest) , Evan turner, crabbe, bazemore ?

So they didn't offer Melo a max deal in 2014?

And offer subsequent free agents that were lower than top tier in the following years under the guise of competing in Kobe's twilight years/getting into the playoffs before the self imposed deadline?

Like I said, they are lucky that those guys turned us down, otherwise we'd be in a worst position now. No picks, no young core, and no hope of getting out for the foreseeable future. 

And why didn't they just do the same this past summer with the 1 year rentals?

Same for deng (yes I know he's the oldest) , Evan turner, crabbe, bazemore ?

So they didn't offer Melo a max deal in 2014?
And offer subsequent free agents that were lower than top tier in the following years under the guise of competing in Kobe's twilight years/getting into the playoffs before the self imposed deadline?

Like I said, they are lucky that those guys turned us down, otherwise we'd be in a worst position now. No picks, no young core, and no hope of getting out for the foreseeable future. 

And why didn't they just do the same this past summer with the 1 year rentals?

A lot of ppl wanted us to sign Melo
Where dey at?
Where the guys who wanted us to trade the d'lo pick ?
Where the guys who wanted us to draft Oask

And you know damn well why free agents spurred us during the last 3-4years Kobe played man

idk who or if there were guys on expiring deals that would fit the roster this year, Calde was a piece that could fit but just didn't turn out to make it into Luke's rotation

I know why free agents spurned us, and it was a good thing they did, but that's no thanks to management. I'm glad my prediction of them looking like they're finally getting the boot is coming to fruition.

More importantly the names Jerry West and Magic Johnson do actually resonate with players. We've been doing terribly in free agency not even getting meetings, this is hopefully the beginning of bringing credibility back to the "brand".
Didn't you say a few weeks ago that the Lakers are a "brand in name only" and that Los Angeles is no longer a "desirable destination" for free agents? As if all of a sudden the California lifestyle and weather has lost its allure lol.

So now all of a sudden that Magic is back and there are rumors of Jerry West possibly coming on board as well, all of a sudden the Lakers' "credibility" is returning? LOL

News Flash: The credibility and allure have always been there. It never left. The difference maker is this:  "WINNING SOLVES EVERYTHING"

And is why continuing to create a losing culture just to HOPE that we get a high draft pick while hoping 2 young players will turn into stars is NOT the direction Magic is going to take them. 
Tradition is just what it is tradition. The Lakers are a brand in name only, we've seen that free agents do not hold it as a desirable destination now, and the new CBA is going to make it more likely that they stay with their current teams. This is the REALITY of our franchise, whether you accept it or not is up to you. 

Back
Top Bottom