Lady falls into water fountain while texting at a mall...

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7906487[h1][/h1]
[h1]Texting woman falls in fountain, files lawsuit[/h1]
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

7908746_600x338.jpg

Tags:

FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Earlier this week ABC30 showed you video of a woman who mistakenly fell into the fountain at a Pennsylvania mall, because she was distracted by text messaging. Well now that woman is suing the mall for not helping her.

|   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

The video has received more than 1.5 million views since it went viral on YouTube last week. The woman in the video, Cathy Cruz Marrero, doesn't think the video is very funny. She claims she could have gotten seriously hurt and that the security guards should have helped instead of laugh.

"I'm just like dumbfounded. And all I kept saying was, 'I fell. I fell. I fell in the fountain. I fell in the fountain.'"

Marrero has hired a lawyer to pursue legal action. The investigation is ongoing at the mall as to who leaked the video online. You can hear more from Marrero and her attorney Thursday on Good Morning America.

(Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji]2011 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

indifferent.gif

Just like a robber suing for getting hurt inside the home of the person they were robbing.
30t6p3b.gif

PTImbz*wOTdmMTQyNzljMDc*NTMxOWE3MWQzODhjODk4ZTNhMSZvZj*w.gif

Reporter was trying so hard to hold back his smile.
laugh.gif

Just like a robber suing for getting hurt inside the home of the person they were robbing.
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

*sigh*
If anyone/anything should be sued it's the pool.I mean it just darted out in front of her.
Evil pool is evil.

The fountain lady was in court this morning on theft charges.
Woman who fell into fountain in court this morning on theft charges

Jason Brudereck
Reading Eagle

The Reading woman who became an Internet sensation by falling into a fountain while sending a text on her cell phone was in Berks County Court on Thursday for a status hearing on theft-by-deception and related charges.

Cathy A. Cruz Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for using a co-worker's credit cards to make more than $5,000 in purchases at two local stores.

Her Reading attorney in that caser, Douglas J. Waltman, said Marrero has applied for intermediate punishment, which can include restitution.

The case is pending.

He declined further comment.

James M. Polyak, her Reading attorney regarding her fall into the fountain, could not immediately be reached for comment.

When reached by phone, Marrero acknowledged she was in court Thursday morning.

Speaking to someone who was apparently nearby, she said, "The reporter got my court papers."

"But I have to talk to Jim before I talk to anybody," she added.

She declined further comment.

She has been free on $7,500 bail since she was charged.

According to court records:

Ileana Rivera of Reading, who worked at the Zales jewelry store in the Fairgrounds Square Mall with Marrero, went to Muhlenberg Township police in October 2009 to report that Marrero had used Rivera's credit cards without Rivera's permission.

Marrero made $4,177 in purchases at Zales and $1,055 in purchases at Target in Spring Township using Rivera's cards for those stores.

The transactions occurred around the time of August 2007.

Rivera admitted she at one time had permitted Marrero to use her Target credit card to make a small purchase but did not give her permission to make other purchases.

In August 2007, Rivera noticed she hadn't received her Zales credit card bill and, after checking with Zales customer service, found that her address on the account was changed to that of Marrero's in the 400 block of Bingaman Court.

The same thing occurred with Rivera's Target card.

"Cruz (Marrero) changed the addresses on the accounts so that the bills would come to her and Rivera would not know about them," police said in court documents.

Marrero promised Rivera from August 2007 to September 2009 that she would make payments to Rivera, but Marrero did not.

Rivera had to make the payments to maintain her credit status.

Marrero has been the focus of worldwide publicity over the last week since videos were posted to YouTube and Facebook of her tumbling into a fountain at the Berkshire Mall while she was sending a text message on her cell phone.

Marrero, who works in a store at the Wyomissing mall, said she hired Polyak and came forward publicly to highlight the dangers of texting while walking, privacy issues and security problems at the mall.

Mall officials have not returned calls seeking comment.

The fall on Jan. 12 was caught on security camera video and was apparently posted to YouTube.

Marrero has complained that security laughed about her accident instead of checking on her well-being.

*sigh*
If anyone/anything should be sued it's the pool.I mean it just darted out in front of her.
Evil pool is evil.

The fountain lady was in court this morning on theft charges.
Woman who fell into fountain in court this morning on theft charges

Jason Brudereck
Reading Eagle

The Reading woman who became an Internet sensation by falling into a fountain while sending a text on her cell phone was in Berks County Court on Thursday for a status hearing on theft-by-deception and related charges.

Cathy A. Cruz Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for using a co-worker's credit cards to make more than $5,000 in purchases at two local stores.

Her Reading attorney in that caser, Douglas J. Waltman, said Marrero has applied for intermediate punishment, which can include restitution.

The case is pending.

He declined further comment.

James M. Polyak, her Reading attorney regarding her fall into the fountain, could not immediately be reached for comment.

When reached by phone, Marrero acknowledged she was in court Thursday morning.

Speaking to someone who was apparently nearby, she said, "The reporter got my court papers."

"But I have to talk to Jim before I talk to anybody," she added.

She declined further comment.

She has been free on $7,500 bail since she was charged.

According to court records:

Ileana Rivera of Reading, who worked at the Zales jewelry store in the Fairgrounds Square Mall with Marrero, went to Muhlenberg Township police in October 2009 to report that Marrero had used Rivera's credit cards without Rivera's permission.

Marrero made $4,177 in purchases at Zales and $1,055 in purchases at Target in Spring Township using Rivera's cards for those stores.

The transactions occurred around the time of August 2007.

Rivera admitted she at one time had permitted Marrero to use her Target credit card to make a small purchase but did not give her permission to make other purchases.

In August 2007, Rivera noticed she hadn't received her Zales credit card bill and, after checking with Zales customer service, found that her address on the account was changed to that of Marrero's in the 400 block of Bingaman Court.

The same thing occurred with Rivera's Target card.

"Cruz (Marrero) changed the addresses on the accounts so that the bills would come to her and Rivera would not know about them," police said in court documents.

Marrero promised Rivera from August 2007 to September 2009 that she would make payments to Rivera, but Marrero did not.

Rivera had to make the payments to maintain her credit status.

Marrero has been the focus of worldwide publicity over the last week since videos were posted to YouTube and Facebook of her tumbling into a fountain at the Berkshire Mall while she was sending a text message on her cell phone.

Marrero, who works in a store at the Wyomissing mall, said she hired Polyak and came forward publicly to highlight the dangers of texting while walking, privacy issues and security problems at the mall.

Mall officials have not returned calls seeking comment.

The fall on Jan. 12 was caught on security camera video and was apparently posted to YouTube.

Marrero has complained that security laughed about her accident instead of checking on her well-being.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

What a waste of oxygen. I can't believe that woman is trying to sue the mall. I hope she takes it to court, loses, and then has to pay both sides legal fees just because she is an idiot. If I was a judge, I wouldn't waste my time with this case and I would throw her case out.

I'm glad she fell and I'm glad she feels dumb. She should. I love how she said no one cared about how she felt. Of course no one cares about that. I'd laugh in her face if I was the ABC announcer.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

What a waste of oxygen. I can't believe that woman is trying to sue the mall. I hope she takes it to court, loses, and then has to pay both sides legal fees just because she is an idiot. If I was a judge, I wouldn't waste my time with this case and I would throw her case out.

I'm glad she fell and I'm glad she feels dumb. She should. I love how she said no one cared about how she felt. Of course no one cares about that. I'd laugh in her face if I was the ABC announcer.

Did this lawyer just say "we are investigating how it happened"
laugh.gif
well sir, the evidence is pretty conclusive. At this point she's making a mockery of herself even more and also making a mockery of the legal system.
If anyone should be suing, its the people involved in the worldstar fight vids
30t6p3b.gif

Did this lawyer just say "we are investigating how it happened"
laugh.gif
well sir, the evidence is pretty conclusive. At this point she's making a mockery of herself even more and also making a mockery of the legal system.
If anyone should be suing, its the people involved in the worldstar fight vids
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom