[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Ok, I think it's clear now.

Why NT don't edit that one dang it? :lol: :lol: My bad man, I thought that was an edit cover. :wow:

My biggest knock on Mike is that he's earning a rep you can walk all over him. Between Melo, Dwight, and a little bit of Kobe controlling his own minutes last year, I'm afraid other big-time players automatically (and unfairly) don't respect him as much as a comparable coach. They can do what they want and/or whine and throw him under the bus if they don't get it.

Not sure how to fit that into the kitchen analogy...

Last edited:
My biggest knock on Mike is that he's earning a rep you can walk all over him. Between Melo, Dwight, and a little bit of Kobe controlling his own minutes last year, I'm afraid other big-time players automatically (and unfairly) don't respect him as much as a comparable coach. They can do what they want and/or whine and throw him under the bus if they don't get it.

Faulty burner on the stove, turns on sometimes to warm tortillas, won't turn on other times.

roll.gif
you guys are saying the same things you have been, just now in wildly complex kitchen analogies
laugh.gif
I can't
Shhh, I think I might reach him this time. *fingers crossed*

laugh.gif
You should know better than that.

brb

wink.gif

Faulty burner on the stove, turns on sometimes to warm tortillas, won't turn on other times.
Nah, I already covered it in the analogy; his personality is the rat.

The snide comments, not controlling the team,  HIM.

His offensive schemes are WONDERFUL, copied by half the damn league, including Pop (league's best coach at present, methinks).

But HIM?

Ain't nobody copying ALL of him; just the offense.

Ok... let's take a closer look at what Senator pointed out, and part of your response to my kitchen analogy.

He can't control the team.

Suns go bonkers during a highly controversial play.

Granted, it would be unfair to point out Phil Jackson coaching Rodman and Artest with narry an incident except for isolated ones (kicking the camera guy), so I'll just simply point out that CONTROLLED TEAMS ACT CONTROLLED.

Those last 4 words have to make crystal clear sense.

His Xs and Os fueled that Suns offense; his personality crippled that team, like that rat driving customers away from the AWESOME food being prepared by the newly purchased stove.

New stove? Sweet. That rat **** all over the food you just prepared and ruined everything, Chef.

Fancy players? Sweet, the lack of control you're known for just **** all over your highly potent offense and ruined everything, Coach.

His personality cripples his offensive greatness, and not just DIRECTLY.

You study numbers; know them back and forth, got 4th quarter numbers and spreadsheets and websites at your disposal and plenty to drink while you're 'dewing' your thing.

Me? I study (CONSTANTLY) human behaviors, personality theory, authoritarian styles, effective motivational techniques, etc. (Right now, I'm examining the autonomy vs. shame/doubt stage we all go through, a stage that ends around 2/3ish. Why? *shrugs* Because this is what I do. 
laugh.gif
 )

On the Xs and Os end, he's topnotch.

As an effective leader of men, not so much.

Mark my words: he will either be a champion by switching his style up (NOT his basketball; his personality), or he will be one of the greatest "What could have been" coaches the league has ever seen.

Last edited:
I do see your point, HOWEVER........lose control? 2 guys that wanted to pick up their team leader who got cheap shotted??????

They weren't engaging Horry, they stepped forward to pick up their MVP teammate.

You knock Mike, or them, for that????????

Man, iono......that's harsh.

I never got the sense that MDA was bad at managing his guys. He just had toxic relationships with two high-profile players (Melo and Dwight, and we all know how their personalities are and how they view themselves - not entirely Mike's fault). Unfortunately that's what people see and report on the most, so that's why he got that rep.

FWIW Kobe seems to respect Mike a good amount. Him controlling his own minutes just sends a different message though.

Last edited:
I do see your point, HOWEVER........lose control? 2 guys that wanted to pick up their team leader who got cheap shotted??????

They weren't engaging Horry, they stepped forward to pick up their MVP teammate.

You knock Mike, or them, for that????????

Man, iono......that's harsh.
If I had a nickel for every time. 
laugh.gif

So let me get this straight.

Kobe with a recovering Achilles and a fractured knee has logged in 4x the workouts that Nick Young has in the last week? 12 to 3 though?

4X!? With a broken Knee?

LOL.

Guess that's shows why Swaggy will never live up to his full potential.

what makes someone like jerry sloan better than dantoni?
Back to back Finals.

Zero finals.

I know a lot of people run to that "But it's a TEAM accomplishment" rebuttal.

Save it.

Reaching the Finals (or any championship) is not JUUUST about who the better team is.

Inferior teams who are better coached or who hustle more beat superior teams in sports... AAAAALLLLLL the TIIIIME.

I guarantee, behind closed doors, he told the team "Look, leave that Malone/Rodman foolishness alone. Let them dance w/ each other. You? You just Do. Your. JOB." Granted, they lost, but I dare you to tell me they weren't in it, both times.

Say a guy (I'm not saying MDA, but any coach who does NOT have a reputation of keeping his team at bay) is coaching those Jazz. Throughout the season, Malone is elbowing dudes like Anthony Mason and Dennis Rodman, and that Jazz team's record is affected by ejections and suspensions for Ostertag or Russell leaving benches and pulling dudes away.

It would easy... and fair, even... to look at that and go "But they COULD have been to the Finals. I KNOW it! Mase threw Malone down, the team came over just to help out."

And suspensions happened, records were affected, seeding is affected, Ashton Kutchter stars in a movie about it, etc., etc., etc.

But Sloan kept that team disciplined.

My heart just laughed at the thought of anyone daring any MDA team ever... to be labeled disciplined.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom