[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hearing it from the players themselves (pre-social media) > reading it in an article 10 years later is what he meant, methinks :nerd:

Last edited:
Pat riley and phil jackson have both retired from coaching because they are too old to deal with it day in and day out

They are both 69

Sloan is 71

Brown is 72

No point in replacing dantoni with someone that would be drinking prune juice on the sidelines

Pat riley and phil jackson have both retired from coaching because they are too old to deal with it day in and day out

They are both 69

Sloan is 71

Brown is 72

No point in replacing dantoni with someone that would be drinking prune juice on the sidelines

Sloan is 71, turning 72 in like 2 weeks.

And neither have coached in this era of the sport with analytics, and 3 point shots on fast breaks, stretch 4's, etc.

Precisely why I mentioned that none of them are upgrades over Mike. I don't just type to hear my fingers make keystrokes, I actually do think on what I post.

I remember the last we saw of Sloan when we faced them in I think 2010 playoffs, they started a 4th quarter with the 5 guy lineup he sent out there, Lakers dribble down court, one pass, tipped, ball goes out of bounds. Still Laker ball. Like.....9 seconds came off the clock.

Sloan subbed a player in. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks, that's a guy that's lost touch with the world and is just doing things to do things at that point. We've all grown up on Phil Jackson sitting there cleaning his glasses while the other team is on a 20-0 run, letting the team work thru it, not stressing the tiniest of details.

Old dude subbed like 9 seconds after a commercial break. Like, I don't know if those 9 seconds really did anything of value, for either the guy goin in, or the guy comin out. :lol:

Needless to say, pass on one Jerry Sloan. With ease.

Other than those 2, completely agree w/ you.

Even if you disagreed with me, you'd get bonus points for at least reading the damn post and comprehending it and not asking things like "Mike D'Antoni is better than Red Auerbach, how could youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!"

Or something to that effect. :lol:

How could we be so arrogant as a franchise still?!!

This whole PJax news depresses me. Not becuz I think Phil is a good President of Basketball Operations but the fact that Jimmy Boy cant find a way to utilize him!!!

Its like as soon as Dr Buss died egos doubled in size....so damn stupid

How could we be so arrogant as a franchise still?!!

This whole PJax news depresses me. Not becuz I think Phil is a good President of Basketball Operations but the fact that Jimmy Boy cant find a way to utilize him!!!

Its like as soon as Dr Buss died egos doubled in size....so damn stupid

When Dr. Buss was alive, he wasn't giving control to Phil, so why would it have anything to do with ego's doubling in size after Dr. Buss passed????

It's not like the Lakers have a role for Phil though.

He's not playing Jimmy's role, and rightfully so.

He's not playing Mitch's role, and I'm fine with that. Mitch is great at his job.

Do they create some consultant position? That's just asking for trouble and it's unnecessary.

I would love for Phil to be a part of this franchise. But not at the expense of Mitch (especially looking back on some of Phil's proposed trades in the past). Yes at the expense of Jim Buss, but that would never happen.

Last edited:
I thought Phil had an unofficial consultant role with the team through Jeanie. Maybe I read that somewhere.

I think he did, but I assumed it was temporary. I'm not sure what it was for. It might have just been in the push to keep Dwight.

Edit:

"My message to Lakers fans is Phil is a part of the organization because of me," said Buss, who's the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations and serves as the team's governor. "He's part of my life and part of my family. He's always in Laker world, no matter if he has an official position or not."

Would Buss want Jackson to have an official position with the team?

"I think we're in good hands with our front office," said Buss, referring to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and her brother, Jim, the team's vice president of basketball operations. "Jim and Mitch know Phil is a phone call away. He's always available. He would always do anything to help, support or listen. It's like we're all family."

"I'm not sure why somebody like Phil isn't working for an NBA club right now," Kupchak said. "He has so much to offer to any franchise. Even though he doesn't have an official role with us, he's a consultant of sorts."

Last edited:
When Dr. Buss was alive, he wasn't giving control to Phil, so why would it have anything to do with ego's doubling in size after Dr. Buss passed????

Just looking at the FO's moves and decisions since Dr. Buss' death.

If it were me, I would have no problem with Phil being the figurehead of the organization and tell him every move that gets made with player personnel youll have a say in.
That is not giving Phil total power. All it does is feed Phil's ego and let him be the face of the franchise and lead with personnel moves. Jim Buss can play the role of Dr. Buss (be in the background and sign of for the final on super important moves)

He can let Mitch do what he always does (negotiate, speak with other GMs/relationships, go on scouting trips, etc)

Phil would only purely be a figurehead/face on the franchise to the public with the power to make moves at the top of the franchise ....he would essentially be Larry Bird.

Just looking at the FO's moves and decisions since Dr. Buss' death.

If it were me, I would have no problem with Phil being the figurehead of the organization and tell him every move that gets made with player personnel youll have a say in.
That is not giving Phil total power. All it does is feed Phil's ego and let him be the face of the franchise and lead with personnel moves. Jim Buss can play the role of Dr. Buss (be in the background and sign of for the final on super important moves)

He can let Mitch do what he always does (negotiate, speak with other GMs/relationships, go on scouting trips, etc)

Phil would only purely be a figurehead/face on the franchise to the public with the power to make moves at the top of the franchise ....he would essentially be Larry Bird.

I hear you, in theory, but like I said, Jerry Buss never gave any of his control over to Phil, nor did Chicago.

He was ultra successful as a coach, but that does not guarantee success as a GM-figurehead.

It's worked for Pat Riley, but he's about it in terms of great coach AND great GM/President. Well, he and Red I guess.

Mitch is great at his job.

Still time to edit before anyone sees...

I still believe it.

And if he has fallen off as far as you think, he's still above "trade a young Kobe for Scottie Pippen" level.

Yes, I agree with that. That scares me if Phil really did have that in his head. :lol:

If Mitch trades this upcoming pick as a downgrade, he's dead to me.

I need to re-read those books and pull some of the info out and drop it in here.

I have searched FOR YEARS for the offer we heard about when Shaq was on the market that was Amare + Marion for Shaq, myself and Prime1984 BOTH heard that rumor back in the day, but I have found ZERO backup online over that report. Nothing. And I swear it was a thing back then. I need to go thru those books and find what's what again. :lol:

I have searched FOR YEARS for the offer we heard about when Shaq was on the market that was Amare + Marion for Shaq, myself and Prime1984 BOTH heard that rumor back in the day, but I have found ZERO backup online over that report. Nothing. And I swear it was a thing back then. I need to go thru those books and find what's what again. :lol:
iirc, this was all over sportscenter back in 04?

thought it was just another rumor

Last edited:
Maybe, but I didn't hear it from Sportcenter. I haven't watched that joint in forever. I was an ESPNNEWS guy, and they didn't do a lot of rumors back then.

I remember talk of it on the radio, but can't for the life of me remember who was talking that night. :smh:

I hear you, in theory, but like I said, Jerry Buss never gave any of his control over to Phil, nor did Chicago.

He was ultra successful as a coach, but that does not guarantee success as a GM-figurehead.

It's worked for Pat Riley, but he's about it in terms of great coach AND great GM/President. Well, he and Red I guess.

Yea I here you ...and I honestly don't think Phil makes a great GM. It doesnt fit his style, he is too much of a freebird to be on the everyday around-the-clock GM.
Mitch is STILL the top GM in the league to me. If he has fallen off he is still at the top (Check his stats, not the rumors)

But Phil is the guy that can be on camera. In meetings with players. At the games. Doing more of the glamorous work

I'm digging around, and just stumbled on some old *** coded site that was a forum of some sort talking about the Lakers and Mavs were in talks to swap Nick Van Exel for Jason Kidd, and Shaq said no, he wanted to keep Nick.

Ska dies inside. :lol:

Prime Kidd
Prime Kobe
Prime Shaq

Prime Horry
Prime Fox
Prime FIsher

Phil Jackson

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom