Lakers playing on national tv unappreciation post.

KB8sandiego wrote:
Like I said, the Lakers History + Kobe = why they get so much love on national television. They're the Lakers. Lakers = ratings
Exactly.

Dudes on here trying to say, "Nope. It's Kobe."

laugh.gif
SHUGES wrote:
Back in 95? You mean, back when Showtime was actually still a household term? Back when Magic was still playing?
laugh.gif
Back when NO games were on cable thus meaning it was possible for EVERY team to get burn on tv? Back when they made the playoffs in 93, had Magic coach some games in 94, and Magic return to play in 95?

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that the Lakers had more games on tv back then than the Bucks and the Bobcats (an expansion franchise) combined.
Alright then, we'll go the future route.

Remember this challenge for the season after Kobe is no longer a Laker: the next season, we will have twice as many nationally televised games than the Bucksor Bobcats will have this season.

And Yuku threads don't expire, so this should still exist next season.

appreciated since I now reside in the bay, i can't watch lakers home games, and if you don't like it change the damn channel

Remember this challenge for the season after Kobe is no longer a Laker: the next season, we will have twice as many nationally televised games than the Bucks or Bobcats will have this season.
of course yall would compared to a team with no history and another with a small market...but the reason why the Lakers currently have so manytelevised games, is because they have the player who draws the highest ratings...I mean, I dont understand lol, that IS why...

The Celtics were horrible last year, I dont remember how many televised games they had, but it was very little...

Because we are a historic franchise that people love to watch. We have one of the most exciting players in the league and our games draw ratings. NBA is smartby putting the Lakers on national TV as many times as they do. HUUGGGEE moneymaker.

I have the NBA League Pass so it ultimately doesn't matter which team is on national television...but I do wish everything wasn't about the moneysometimes. All the NBA teams should be on national television at least twice during the season...so every team gets at least some shine. Teams like theHawks...Hornets...Raptors etc. get no shine cause they don't have the "history" that goes along with the franchise.

If your going to put the Lakers/Cavs/Heat on 20x a year you might as well pair some of the young up and coming teams with them to gather some interest in thoseteams as well.

EzFlash26 wrote:
The Celtics were horrible last year, I dont remember how many televised games they had, but it was very little...
In terms of consistency: Lakers > Celtics

The Lakers franchise has appeared in an NBA Finals EVERY decade since the NBA began.
The Celtics can't say that. No other team can say that.

Only 2 times in the last 25 years have we failed to make the playoffs.

P.S. For anyone about to respond with, "There you Laker fans go again, living in the past": stop yourself from typing another letter. I'm talkingabout consistency throughout our history. How the heck am I supposed to do that without talking about the past?
laugh.gif

We're all supposed to be at least somewhat big sports fans if we're here talkin sports on a message board, and you tellin me that some of these peopleactually need a map as to why the Lakers are on national tv. Seriously? Cuz you're not sure?

The Lakers will always, ALWAYS be on the national adgenda as long as they are at least halfway decent. If they won 10 games a season for 3 or 4 years, yesthey would drop a bit, but as long as they have a chance at the playoffs, or are playing an old rival (ie Celtics before the big 3) they will be on. Not justfor that particular game, but for the nostalgia of the two teams, the memories, the old video and such. That's what draw people in.

If it's Friday night and ESPN wants a game and they have the choice between the Lakers vs Nets, two average teams with some stars, two large markets, PLUSsome recent history between them, you think they wouldn't want to show that game over say a Utah vs G State game that only a tiny portion of America wouldeven care about? Utah vs G State would be a GREAT game to watch, lotta fun there, but no real history of significance, two lousy market sizes, small fanbases, do I need to keep going?

The Lakers are the face of the league. Good/bad, whatever. The history of the NBA can not be told without the Lakers being mentioned over and over. See,they Yankees in MLB, and the Cowboys in the NFL. Even when the Boys had some down years, they had two or three monday nighters, Thanksgiving, a Sundaynighter, a game against the Skins on a late Sunday afternoon. That's HALF their season, and they were winning 5 or 6 games there for a while. So get usedto it, it won't change any time soon.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

EzFlash26 wrote:
In terms of consistency: Lakers > Celtics

The Lakers franchise has appeared in an NBA Finals EVERY decade since the NBA began.

Only 2 times in the last 25 years have we failed to make the playoffs.

P.S. For anyone about to respond with, "There you Laker fans go again, living in the past": stop yourself from typing another letter. I'm talking about consistency throughout our history. How the heck am I supposed to do that without talking about the past?
laugh.gif

PREACH!

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

laugh.gif
considering how big these laker game threads get compared to other game threads should tell you why theyre on tv a lot.
Oh please... the ONLY reason LA threads are so big is usually due to the amount of 24 haters (such as myself) who patrol and get giddy over thesmallest negative thing Jack Bauer does.
laugh.gif

Not saying that's the ONLY reason I go into Laker threads... But it's a GOOD reason.
smile.gif

You'll never see me in there just hating. I'll always at least comment on the game or post a pic in reference to the game.

c'mon man answer this yourself...common sense

1.Big market (Los Angeles)
2. Historic NBA Team (Lakers)
3. Kobe Bryant (Scoring leader) & The Best Individual Player

Originally Posted by SHUGES

laugh.gif
considering how big these laker game threads get compared to other game threads should tell you why theyre on tv a lot.
Oh please... the ONLY reason LA threads are so big is usually due to the amount of 24 haters (such as myself) who patrol and get giddy over the smallest negative thing Jack Bauer does.
laugh.gif

Not saying that's the ONLY reason I go into Laker threads... But it's a GOOD reason.
smile.gif

You'll never see me in there just hating. I'll always at least comment on the game or post a pic in reference to the game.

uhhh exactly my point proven. you think anyone else is watching the twolves so they can hate on them.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

laugh.gif
Oh please... the ONLY reason LA threads are so big is usually due to the amount of 24 haters (such as myself) who patrol and get giddy over the smallest negative thing Jack Bauer does.
laugh.gif

smile.gif

uhhh exactly my point proven. you think anyone else is watching the twolves so they can hate on them.
My bad son. I thought you were on the other side of the argument.

PRETTYPLAYER wrote:
consistency doesnt really matter in nba.

you can ask them utah jazz.
Oh my gosh, some of y'all are simply not paying attention.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
RudyGay22UcoNN wrote:
c'mon man answer this yourself...common sense

1.Big market (Los Angeles)
3. Kobe Bryant (Scoring leader) & The Best Individual Player
Thank you.

Except I'm going to copy your 3 things and tweak the last one a little bit before commenting, because I don't want people getting off-topic with me,talking about, "WOW! Ska, did you just agree that Kobe is the best individual talent in the NBA?! I thought you hated him?!" I get tired of havingthat discussion and ones similar, so without further ado:

1. Big market (Los Angeles)
3. Kobe Bryant
4. consistency in the playoffs

The Utah Jazz don't have NEAR the history that the Lakers do. There goes #2.

And they're not a big market. Scratch #1.

And they don't have anyone as dynamic as Kobe. Subtract #3. (Yes, Deron and Boozer will be All Stars. I get that. They're not as dynamic as Kobe. Ifyou don't get that, don't waste your time trying to respond). Subtract #3.

That leaves #4, consistency in the playoffs.

One thing, out of 4.

The Lakers, minus Kobe, are still a historic franchise (#2) in a large market (#1) with consistent playoff/Finals appearances (#4).

What other team can say, at ANY given time, that they fulfill 3 of the 4 things? At ANY time?

Hell, The Spurs have WAY more consistency in the playoffs/Finals the last few years, but they lack a dynamic player (#3), and they're not in a big market(#1). You could argue that they're a historic franchise, but it would be a weak argument. Bottom line, if they started declining every year from this yearforward, they would be lucky to have 2 nationally televised games 5 years from now.

As long as the Lakers are consistently making the playoffs and making FInals appearances in every decade (#4), they ALWAYS be a historic franchise (#2) in alarge market (#1)... so that's 3 of the 4 things knocked down. Add in a dynamic player like Kobe and we'll get MORE games. Take Kobe away, and thecountry is STILL going to be watching us because of those other 3 things.

i like how that ska dude tryin to inform people that its not just because of kobe.

nba needs to be more about "the team" "not a player"

Back
Top Bottom