Lakers @ Spurs 7:30 CT

Lakers-Spurs Preview

2006-07 Stats at a Glance

Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers haven't had trouble scoring on anyone so far this season. Then again, they haven't faced the San Antonio Spurs.

That will change Tuesday when the high-scoring Lakers visit the defending world champion Spurs, one of the league's best defensive teams.

The Lakers are among the NBA's leaders with 108.4 points per game, but Tim Duncan and the Spurs are allowing just 88.3 a contest.

San Antonio (6-1) allowed a league-low 90.1 points per game last season on the way to winning its third championship in five years. The Spurs have finished in the top three in the league in fewest points allowed in every season since 1997-98 - Duncan's rookie campaign.

The defensive intensity was evident throughout the Spurs' win Sunday against Milwaukee, but it was San Antonio's efficiency on offense that ensured the game wouldn't be close. The Spurs led 65-38 at halftime and cruised to a 113-88 win, with seven Spurs scoring in double figures.

"We had a very good night," said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, whose team shot a season-high 55.7 percent from the field in winning its third straight. "We came out with a lot of energy and I think we caught Milwaukee on a bad night for them."

Manu Ginobili led the Spurs, who were up by as many as 40, with 21 points in only 18 minutes. The Argentinian guard leads the team with 19.9 points per game despite coming off the bench. He hasn't started a regular-season game since Jan. 26 against Memphis but he isn't complaining, and neither is Popovich.

"It's very repetitive, isn't it?" Popovich asked. "I just hope we never take it for granted. Manu is an unbelievable competitor."

The Lakers (3-2) have played four of their first five games at home, but now will head to Texas for a two-game swing. After their stop in San Antonio, they'll travel to Houston to face the Rockets, who are tied with the Spurs atop the Southwest Division.

Los Angeles rebounded from a 14-point home loss to New Orleans with a 14-point win, beating Minnesota 107-93 on Friday. Bryant, who leads the league in scoring with 30.4 points per game, had 30, but it was the five other Lakers in double figures that impressed him.

"We just go with the flow. Honestly, we really don't give a darn who scores and who gets rebounds," Bryant said. "That's the thing about our system, all of us can handle the ball. That's why we're such a good passing team."

The Lakers had 28 assists against the Timberwolves, and are among the league's top five teams with 25.2 per contest.

Starting center Kwame Brown sat out his second straight game due to bursitis in his right heel, but forward Lamar Odom made his season debut, scoring 18 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Odom had shoulder surgery last spring that kept him out for the first 10 days of the season.

"It felt good. When you are on the perimeter a little bit more it's less banging, so I just picked my spots," Odom said, adding that it will probably take him "a couple of weeks" to be back to 100 percent.

Bryant has averaged 24.8 points in 38 games against the Spurs, though he posted 33.0 in three games versus them last season. Duncan has scored 21.6 points per game and averaged 12.3 rebounds against Los Angeles since entering the league.

The Lakers won two of three against the Spurs in 2006-07, including their only visit to San Antonio. The Spurs had won eight of nine meetings prior to last season.

Lakers need to start their Texas two step off right. I think we can get the win, if we can hold on to the ball and slow TP and Manu. Lakers by 9

BTW, how do I get the color back for my sig?

Big test for the lakeshow tonight.
We need to play perfect tonight.

GO LAKERS!!

I'm looking forward to seeing contanst pressure on Tony P from Fisher and especially Farmar. It'sgona also be interesting to see how Ronny's hustle effects Duncan on both the offensive and defensive ends. I think if we can make those 2 work for theiroppurtunities, we'll be able to grind out a win.

Here is the matchup I am lookin forward to:

lakers_spurs_basketball_400.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

We need to get this one tonight. And I need to figure out how the hell to post again.
frown.gif
laugh.gif

I forgot L.O. was back, Odom, Kwame, Turiaf can all switch off and get fresh legs on Duncan. I hope the lakeshow destroys the Spurs like they did the nuns

Go Lakers! should be a good game

BTW i lost my sig after the move
mad.gif
is there any way to get it back??

We have to cut down on the turn overs if we want a shot to win the game. I love the way the ball moves but we can't over pass.

go LakeShow!! too bad i have to miss it =( hopefully they will take care of the ball and share the ball well like they have been.

Spurs are playing great ball like usual but I think the Lakers could take this game. We are going to need stellar play from the centers tonight. Anyone know ifKwame is playing tonight?

spurs have this 95-86. no one is going to guard manu and he'll come off the bench for 31. ronny will have no affect on timmy. plus we're playing athome.

"Damn, I don't have KCAL. Is there anywhere online where I can watch this game?"

This game is on NBATV tonight in HD.
pimp.gif

Key is defending the pick and roll, we know how Tony Parker likes to come off the screen and dish it to Duncan.

We have to send a double-team once and a while on Duncan.

Spurs are playing great so far this season, but our Lakers can keep up.

GO LAKERS!
happy.gif

Everyone thought the Suns would blow us out.

I know, the Suns have the defensive presence of a frozen snail, but still, everyone thought they would embarrass us, and the exact opposite happened.

The Spurs defense will be anchored by the same two things that has anchored it for 4 or 5 years now: the lethal combination of Big Stoneface + an entire rosterof floppers (except Finley). How can you score against a team flying into the second row every other second?

I look for the Spurs to get hot early, getting under the skin of some Lakers by flopping (Kwame, Walton, Cook). Then Kobe will go around these floppingfloppers, and Fisher will begin flopping right back.
pimp.gif

We got this, we should have won 2 of the games last year. We know them and they know us. It's always a good matchup. Kobe is gonna do his thing he'sfigured Bowen out. Manu's flops is what kills us plus TD has trouble with bigger guys guarding him. Ask Bynum and Yao then add Kwame in the mix with hisspeed TD is in for a long night.

Tony can't get in the open floor running and getting And 1's. We keep him shooting contested jumpers we are straight.

What will separate us is that Kobe can still score no matter the D and we keep our TO's down.

I look for the Spurs to get hot early, getting under the skin of some Lakers by flopping (Kwame, Walton, Cook). Then Kobe will go around these flopping floppers, and Fisher will begin flopping right back.
pimp.gif

roll.gif
thats such an accurateprediction, I'm willing to bet money on it.

Back
Top Bottom