LAPD charging jaywalkers $191 in new crackdown

[h1] Local

lanowbanner2.jpg

LAPD charging jaywalkers $191 in new crackdown[/h1]
November 29, 2010 | 10:37 am

51914411.jpg

Pedestrians should think twice before jaywalking in downtown L.A. -- or they could walk away with a $191 fine.

During the busy holiday shopping season, the Los Angeles Police Department is ramping up a zero-tolerance policy for jaywalkers downtown, particularly the Historic Core area, as part of an effort to reduce accidents and prevent crime, officials said.

A citation won't be cheap, now costing $191.

"This is about more than reducing accidents during the holidays," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon. "This is about preventing thefts and robberies. Jaywalking is often done by thieves, purse snatchers and robbery suspects to target their victims."

Vernon said such criminals often suddenly see a potential target and run across the road mid-block. To be better able to spot such suspects, the department wants to deter law-abiding citizens from such behavior, he said.

"We will be watching; that is the message we want to get out there," Vernon said. Authorities said officers will paying particular attention to Spring and Main streets.

With the jump in pedestrians, the holiday season can be a deadly one. In 2009, Vernon said, there were three accidents involving a vehicle and a pedestrian in the downtown area between Nov. 25 and Dec. 31.
http://
Two of those incidents were blamed on the person on foot and resulted in serious injury to the pedestrian, Vernon said. The third incident, which resulted in a pedestrian's death, was due to a speeding driver, he said.

The cost of tickets in Los Angeles has become an issue as officials increasingly turn to parking and traffic violations as a way to boost their depleted coffers. The ticket for an expired meter in Los Angeles jumped from $40 in 2008 to about $50 last year, and "fix-it" tickets for minor moving violations such as broken tail lights more than doubled.

News of the jaywalking crackdown was first reported in the Downtown News.

[h1] Local

lanowbanner2.jpg

LAPD charging jaywalkers $191 in new crackdown[/h1]
November 29, 2010 | 10:37 am

51914411.jpg

Pedestrians should think twice before jaywalking in downtown L.A. -- or they could walk away with a $191 fine.

During the busy holiday shopping season, the Los Angeles Police Department is ramping up a zero-tolerance policy for jaywalkers downtown, particularly the Historic Core area, as part of an effort to reduce accidents and prevent crime, officials said.

A citation won't be cheap, now costing $191.

"This is about more than reducing accidents during the holidays," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon. "This is about preventing thefts and robberies. Jaywalking is often done by thieves, purse snatchers and robbery suspects to target their victims."

Vernon said such criminals often suddenly see a potential target and run across the road mid-block. To be better able to spot such suspects, the department wants to deter law-abiding citizens from such behavior, he said.

"We will be watching; that is the message we want to get out there," Vernon said. Authorities said officers will paying particular attention to Spring and Main streets.

With the jump in pedestrians, the holiday season can be a deadly one. In 2009, Vernon said, there were three accidents involving a vehicle and a pedestrian in the downtown area between Nov. 25 and Dec. 31.
http://
Two of those incidents were blamed on the person on foot and resulted in serious injury to the pedestrian, Vernon said. The third incident, which resulted in a pedestrian's death, was due to a speeding driver, he said.

The cost of tickets in Los Angeles has become an issue as officials increasingly turn to parking and traffic violations as a way to boost their depleted coffers. The ticket for an expired meter in Los Angeles jumped from $40 in 2008 to about $50 last year, and "fix-it" tickets for minor moving violations such as broken tail lights more than doubled.

News of the jaywalking crackdown was first reported in the Downtown News.

good, im tired of these dumbasses running onto the street like it's their backyard.

good, im tired of these dumbasses running onto the street like it's their backyard.

Heard it's like 400 something in SF

Not gunna lie I jay walk if there are no cars around, but guess I need to watch myself now...

Heard it's like 400 something in SF

Not gunna lie I jay walk if there are no cars around, but guess I need to watch myself now...

Why is walking across the street a crime?

I don't buy the whole "to prevent accidents and crime" reasoning. People don't get in accidents by jay walking; they get in accidents because they aren't paying attention. If anyone thinks a crackdown on "jaywalking" is going to bring down crime I don't even know what to say.

I don't buy the whole "to prevent accidents and crime" reasoning. People don't get in accidents by jay walking; they get in accidents because they aren't paying attention. If anyone thinks a crackdown on "jaywalking" is going to bring down crime I don't even know what to say.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Because there are dumb $%$ people who think they can beat a moving 1 ton object going 45mph or they think the moving object should stop in the middle of street so the dumb $%$ can walk slowly across the street.

Because there are dumb $%$ people who think they can beat a moving 1 ton object going 45mph or they think the moving object should stop in the middle of street so the dumb $%$ can walk slowly across the street.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

QFT. Last week, this one fool jaywalked across the street with his hand out stopping traffic during rush hour like he was a traffic cop. Then he was trying to talk @+%! when people started blowing at him
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

QFT. Last week, this one fool jaywalked across the street with his hand out stopping traffic during rush hour like he was a traffic cop. Then he was trying to talk @+%! when people started blowing at him
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

i woulda nudged him out the way a little bit.  people like that need to jaywalk into a moving car going 50 mph.

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

i woulda nudged him out the way a little bit.  people like that need to jaywalk into a moving car going 50 mph.

because we have crosswalks.

people need to stop being so $%#!%*$ lazy and take their *!%*% to a crosswalk and cross like the rest of us do.

people need to stop being so $%#!%*$ lazy and take their *!%*% to a crosswalk and cross like the rest of us do.

But you're telling me that if someone crosses the street and there are literally no cars within sight, that it would still be right to fine the guy? I'm completely against jay walking laws because of personal experience. I had a buddy of mine get fined heavily by San Diego police while crossing the street downtown. Not a car in sight, just a case of a police officer flexing.
I'm of the opinion, if you jay walk, you're taking a personal risk. Crosswalks are for your protection but if you choose not to use it that's on you.

But you're telling me that if someone crosses the street and there are literally no cars within sight, that it would still be right to fine the guy? I'm completely against jay walking laws because of personal experience. I had a buddy of mine get fined heavily by San Diego police while crossing the street downtown. Not a car in sight, just a case of a police officer flexing.
I'm of the opinion, if you jay walk, you're taking a personal risk. Crosswalks are for your protection but if you choose not to use it that's on you.

That's a flawed logic because the risk involves another party. If I hit person jay walking, I may kill the person or swerve out the way to avoid the person and in turn hurt myself and damage my vehicle. How is the risk all on them?

That's a flawed logic because the risk involves another party. If I hit person jay walking, I may kill the person or swerve out the way to avoid the person and in turn hurt myself and damage my vehicle. How is the risk all on them?

Because the street is for vehicles.
Have you ever seen a crosswalk?

Back
Top Bottom