Lasik / Epi-lasik surgery

I've been wearing contacts/glasses since i was 13 years old (Im 25 now)..  A few of my friends have had the lasik surgery and I've heard nothing other then it being the best decision they've ever made..

I was just wondering if any of you have had this surgery?  I'm going in Friday for the surgery and just want to hear some more assurance and personal stories cuz im already startin to freak out a lil bit..

BTW, Im scheduled for epi-lasik due to my corneas being too thin for regular lasik..

I've been wearing contacts/glasses since i was 13 years old (Im 25 now)..  A few of my friends have had the lasik surgery and I've heard nothing other then it being the best decision they've ever made..

I was just wondering if any of you have had this surgery?  I'm going in Friday for the surgery and just want to hear some more assurance and personal stories cuz im already startin to freak out a lil bit..

BTW, Im scheduled for epi-lasik due to my corneas being too thin for regular lasik..

my friend who is in the marines got it done...

he said his eyes really burned after a few days but the pills helped him out

i would like to get it done myself ive been wearing glasses since i was like 10 i think

my friend who is in the marines got it done...

he said his eyes really burned after a few days but the pills helped him out

i would like to get it done myself ive been wearing glasses since i was like 10 i think

Yeah, I've heard about the burning sensations.. I had to buy 3 different types of eye drops to be applied after the operation..

Yeah, I've heard about the burning sensations.. I had to buy 3 different types of eye drops to be applied after the operation..

Originally Posted by RuGeMj23

I got it done on Friday and was back to work that Monday.

REMEMBER ~~~  You have to use the eyedrops prescribed by the Dr. especially when you go to bed.

When you go to bed, you're going to have to wear plastic lens over your eyes.... imagine removing the lens off your sunglasses ...  You'll have to tape them to your eyebrows and cheeks so that while you're sleeping you don't roll over and smash your eyes in your pillow.  THE LENS HAVE TO HEAL STILL.  The eyedrops the Dr. will prescribe is kind of milky in color.  Not the typical Visine you see on TV.

I had bad eyes after college and depended on glasses for 10+ years.  My wife actually paid for my procedure as a gift because she hated my glasses!!

The craziest part was when the Dr office numbs your eyes with solution and they DRAW ON YOUR EYEBALL with a medical pen.  You SEE THE NURSE DRAWING ON YOUR EYEBALL but you don't feel anything.  All you really feel is some slight pressure of the nurse pressing on the eye, but no pain!! 

Oh... and right before they cut you, they give you some 'relaxing' medication.  This medication actually knocks you out when you get home so you take a nice nap after. 

When I took my nap at home (WITH MY GLASS LENS ON!!) I woke up, looked at the clock across the room... and it was crystal clear vision!! 

GOOD LUCK!!

I forgot to mention that at night, traffic lights will have a halo ring around them.  This will kind of annoy you at first, but it goes away after a few weeks.

Originally Posted by RuGeMj23

I got it done on Friday and was back to work that Monday.

REMEMBER ~~~  You have to use the eyedrops prescribed by the Dr. especially when you go to bed.

When you go to bed, you're going to have to wear plastic lens over your eyes.... imagine removing the lens off your sunglasses ...  You'll have to tape them to your eyebrows and cheeks so that while you're sleeping you don't roll over and smash your eyes in your pillow.  THE LENS HAVE TO HEAL STILL.  The eyedrops the Dr. will prescribe is kind of milky in color.  Not the typical Visine you see on TV.

I had bad eyes after college and depended on glasses for 10+ years.  My wife actually paid for my procedure as a gift because she hated my glasses!!

The craziest part was when the Dr office numbs your eyes with solution and they DRAW ON YOUR EYEBALL with a medical pen.  You SEE THE NURSE DRAWING ON YOUR EYEBALL but you don't feel anything.  All you really feel is some slight pressure of the nurse pressing on the eye, but no pain!! 

Oh... and right before they cut you, they give you some 'relaxing' medication.  This medication actually knocks you out when you get home so you take a nice nap after. 

When I took my nap at home (WITH MY GLASS LENS ON!!) I woke up, looked at the clock across the room... and it was crystal clear vision!! 

GOOD LUCK!!

I forgot to mention that at night, traffic lights will have a halo ring around them.  This will kind of annoy you at first, but it goes away after a few weeks.

man I forgot what it was called.... wavefront lasik I think.  Something with the word 'wave'.
but yeah, with a laser...  You lay down under the machine, the Dr. tells you to stare at the blinking red or white light.  He props open your eyelids like in the alien movies.  (It's not as bad as it sounds)

The Dr. says, "Ok here we go"... and you stare at the light, you hear the computer say "25% complete... 50% complete...."

you know those crystal balls that have the static electricity lightning bolts?  You know what I mean?  You kind of see that around your peripheral vision because the laser is hitting your eyeball in certain spots.  Then the blinking light disappears and you hear the Dr. say, "Ok, don't move...don't move, the light will return in a second" ... and after a second you see a blurry light blinking again (that was basically when the machine or Dr. cuts your eye) .... AND YOU'RE DONE!  About 30 seconds PER EYE!  That's it!!  That's why the Dr. is making serious cash because he can mow through dozens of patients a day.  For real!

You should be back to work by Monday.... Oh.... and they'll remind you ~ NEVER EVER EVER rub your eyes.  At least not for a long time.

Don't forget that halo effect at night with the traffic lights.  You'll see it and say, "DAMN CAPRIC' was RIGHT!"
laugh.gif

man I forgot what it was called.... wavefront lasik I think.  Something with the word 'wave'.
but yeah, with a laser...  You lay down under the machine, the Dr. tells you to stare at the blinking red or white light.  He props open your eyelids like in the alien movies.  (It's not as bad as it sounds)

The Dr. says, "Ok here we go"... and you stare at the light, you hear the computer say "25% complete... 50% complete...."

you know those crystal balls that have the static electricity lightning bolts?  You know what I mean?  You kind of see that around your peripheral vision because the laser is hitting your eyeball in certain spots.  Then the blinking light disappears and you hear the Dr. say, "Ok, don't move...don't move, the light will return in a second" ... and after a second you see a blurry light blinking again (that was basically when the machine or Dr. cuts your eye) .... AND YOU'RE DONE!  About 30 seconds PER EYE!  That's it!!  That's why the Dr. is making serious cash because he can mow through dozens of patients a day.  For real!

You should be back to work by Monday.... Oh.... and they'll remind you ~ NEVER EVER EVER rub your eyes.  At least not for a long time.

Don't forget that halo effect at night with the traffic lights.  You'll see it and say, "DAMN CAPRIC' was RIGHT!"
laugh.gif

Had lasik done 2 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made
The actual procedure was painless (you're gonna wanna stay away from light for a few hours afterwards tho)
My vision is better than 20/20 now, no problems at all except I think my eyes develop more rheum now (might be my imagination
laugh.gif
)

Had lasik done 2 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made
The actual procedure was painless (you're gonna wanna stay away from light for a few hours afterwards tho)
My vision is better than 20/20 now, no problems at all except I think my eyes develop more rheum now (might be my imagination
laugh.gif
)

That's all I keep hearing.. Thanks Melo..   I've read a lot about this epi-lasik surgery taking a little longer to recover from but hopefully i can return to work on Monday

That's all I keep hearing.. Thanks Melo..   I've read a lot about this epi-lasik surgery taking a little longer to recover from but hopefully i can return to work on Monday

not to mess you up or anything..
but my sister is an optometrist and she studied with the ophthalmologist that invented the lasik method.
i've had glasses/contacts since the 8th grade and she has advised to me wait until i'm at least 35 (26 now) to consider lasik. while the immediate effects are amazing (i would love to wake up in the morning and be able to see) she said the long term effects haven't been worked out well enough yet. ie dryness, seeing halos etc. most people will have to go back under the the laser years later to have the procedure redone/corrected.
just throwing this in to give you another perspective.
i hope all goes well with your procedure.. enjoy your vision!

not to mess you up or anything..
but my sister is an optometrist and she studied with the ophthalmologist that invented the lasik method.
i've had glasses/contacts since the 8th grade and she has advised to me wait until i'm at least 35 (26 now) to consider lasik. while the immediate effects are amazing (i would love to wake up in the morning and be able to see) she said the long term effects haven't been worked out well enough yet. ie dryness, seeing halos etc. most people will have to go back under the the laser years later to have the procedure redone/corrected.
just throwing this in to give you another perspective.
i hope all goes well with your procedure.. enjoy your vision!

Originally Posted by Fully Calibrated

How much does it cost? Specially around the NY area? I heard it's $1,000 per eye. $2,000 total. 
tired.gif
if you're not wearing bi/tri focals when going into the procedure, just consider it a luxury.

How much does it cost? Specially around the NY area? I heard it's $1,000 per eye. $2,000 total. 
tired.gif
if you're not wearing bi/tri focals when going into the procedure, just consider it a luxury.

tired.gif

I spent about $600 a year on contacts, so I'm saving money in the long run (that's how I look at it, don't have lasik yet)

Back
Top Bottom