Learning a new language thread

For those on the NT that are Bilingual , what worked for you ? What are some of the best reading materials or learning programs to pick a new language ?

Advice and encouragement welcomed .

I had a hard time taking Italian in a class setting . I want to learn Spanish in 2024, it opens doors.

Work in a kitchen
Date someone who speaks spanish
Live in a Spanish speaking country/region
Watch tv in Spanish
Listen to Spanish music
Try to progress from having conversations at the level of kids, to teens, and then teenage to adult type reading/conversations
Study to speak, learn rules of the language then practice the language

All in all, I left the US not knowing the French phonetic alphabet, let alone language. Within a month of living in France , I could order food in public, ask/receive/read directions, ask for help, introduce myself, etc.

6 months in, I was listening to more French rap than American rap, listening to French radio for my news, and only speaking French in all courses. At a year, I was living/working a French, I taught 11-14 yr olds and at this point, their French was worse than mine. I had friends that could only communicate in French.

If I didn’t live in the po’dunk middle America, I’d try my best to learn the basics and then speak only Spanish in public: put me in Miami, Cali, Texas, etc, I’d be conversational in 3 months.

I’m hoping to be fluent in Spanish. I’m probably like 75% proficient. Apps like Duolingo are cool. There’s a lot of online resources and tutors too. I listen to reggaeton, corridos, etc. and I also watch shows/movies in Spanish too. Speaking it everyday has helped me the most, especially with cadence and pronunciation. My girl’s Mexican and she’s been very helpful. Lately, we’ve only been speaking Spanish at the crib. :lol:

Good luck to you OP. Knowing a little Spanish has been very helpful to me. Especially with work and while traveling.

I’ve worked with a bunch of Israelis the past 10 years, and have become decently fluent in Hebrew just by being around them. My dialects and pronunciations are all over the place, but I can understand most of their saying when they speak in Hebrew amongst themselves.

Back
Top Bottom