Lebron James, number 6 - starting next year

Ya'll that didn't see - Bron on TNT to Sager says he'll change his number next season (it takes a year for the request with the league to changenumbers to clear), and he's going to wear 6. Lebron explained he's doing in deference to MJ, because he doesn't think anyone should wear hisnumber. An interesting take, and I guess Nike will have to come up with another logo without a number, or switch to the Lion Head. Thoughts?

I'm hoping this ain't true! But maybe he is changing his number from number 23 because it's a retired number at the heat. Just throwing it outthere...

I'm not surprised at all. He said 6 is his fav number (2nd to 23) and he wears 6 at practice...

If I recall correctly he announced the change in February. I guess he is really going thru with it. Oh well...

He used 6 during the olympics. I like it since a single digit number looks nicer in jerseys than two digits

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Ya'll that didn't see - Bron on TNT to Sager says he'll change his number next season (it takes a year for the request with the league to change numbers to clear), and he's going to wear 6. Lebron explained he's doing in deference to MJ, because he doesn't think anyone should wear his number. An interesting take, and I guess Nike will have to come up with another logo without a number, or switch to the Lion Head. Thoughts?
so does this mean he is coming back to CAVS?
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Madkickz

I'm hoping this ain't true! But maybe he is changing his number from number 23 because it's a retired number at the heat. Just throwing it out there...
if he is going to heat, he does not need to apply a change in number. Mario Chalmers is using that number so it is Chalmers who has to apply achange in number if Bron is going to miami and use that number.

Nike wanted Bron to use #5 when he first came into the league really badly but Lebron refused...

I forget the significance of #6 but Im interested in what the Imaging will be like.

Btw now we won't get to countdown LeBron's kicks down to Nike LeBron XX3, LOL.

^
Why did they want him to wear that number (5)?

Since his initials are L & J, from an advertising & branding standpoint, wouldn't it make sense to change his number to "7"?...

There are endless logo possibilities with that, especially when you incorporate the Swoosh.

#5 was his Jersey # in Football and they didn't want him to have to be ANOTHER 23 like Jordan, and wanted his branding to be original.

In the interview LeBron said he like #6 cause Julius Erving is his second fav player.
Also, his first kid was born on the 6th and the second kid was born in June.

I'm happy, but 6 is Dr. J's number. Number 6 is just as bad as number 23. He could have got 24, but Kobe beat him to it. He should become a legendfor a new number. I don't know what that number should be, but he should do his research.

Awesome...now Toney Douglas wont have to switch numbers next season..............
laugh.gif

Let me stop before I become the reason this thread branches off into something it wasn't supposed to be.

All jokes aside, I would like to see him stay with 23 just because he's had it since he came into the league, but I can picture him wearing #6 (probablycause of the Olympics)

Either way, his # will be known. But if he does change it, will #23 even be remembered?..... I think if he had won a ring or did something spectacular with 23it wouldve be remembered. My opinion. I'm just saying. I want him to stick with 23. If his jersey was red, it be a different story.

In the post game lastnight, Bron said he wanted to pay homage to MJ and asked that everyone wearing 23 should switch and have the number retired alltogether. He said that since MJ can't be the league logo since thats Jerry West, the league should consider it as a tribute to the GOAT.
JRose made a great observation though. He's switchin' up from 23 to 6 because he see's Jordan as the one who paved the way for all the currentplayers. Did he just happen to forget BILL RUSSELL!!! (13 years in the league, 11 TITLES, 2 as a player/coach which is unheard of) who happens to have wornno. 6?
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for giving Money his props but c'mon already. We all know that for all his greatness on the floor, he'sdefinitely got his flaws (HOF speech anyone?)...
just my 2 cents.
peace

Back
Top Bottom