Lebron James will never enter Dunk Contest

PatRiley

formerly heirjordan15
LeBron James has finally put to rest the possibility of participating in the Slam Dunk Contest.

"It's over with," said James. "I'm getting too old for that. ... There were times when I wanted to do it. But I came into All-Star Weekend a few times banged up and I didn't want to risk further injury."

James won the 2003 McDonald's All-American Game dunk contest.

Via Chris Tomasson/Fox Sports

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225181/LeBron_Will_Never_Enter_Dunk_Contest

Will we ever have a decent dunk contest ever again? Ala the MJ, Spud Webb, Wilkins, etc. days? The route that the NBA has taken with all of these props and advertisements has killed the contest. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'll probably never watch a dunk contest again, especially after Stern rigged it for Blake Griffin :smh:

Not worth a personal thread since it was common knowledge, but he wouldn't do anything even if he was in it. Not sure why people can't understand that. I wouldn't want to see him in it. But of course the groupies and casual fans would.

Are we going to see another dunk contest like those of yesteryear? Who knows?

This shouldn't come as a surprise.... I don't know how many years ago, but during a dunk contest he was doing an interview, and he goes "Mark me down, I'm entering the next dunk contest in Dallas." Annnnnnd he didn't.

Doesn't change my opinion on him.

He's not that great of a creative dunker tho. Look at his high school dunk contest or game dunks, he could easily be beat. Every thought Shannon brown would have won also, but he wasn't creative enough.

He's not that great of a creative dunker tho. Look at his high school dunk contest or game dunks, he could easily be beat. Every thought Shannon brown would have won also, but he wasn't creative enough.
He's possibly the greatest athlete ever.  Dude is creative.  Dude could do whatever.  He just was too scared to take a L in his younger days and now he feels like he's too "old".  So yeah he let his window pass by.  But it has nothing to do with creativity.  He has more creative in game dunks than some dunk champs.  And he's a VERY creative personality with resources.  Don't make lame excuses for him.  VC stole all his dunks from Jameel Pugh and nobody cared.

He never had anything to gain. If he won its because he was supposed to because he's such a great athlete. If he loses, then he'll catch slander for it

He never had anything to gain. If he won its because he was supposed to because he's such a great athlete. If he loses, then he'll catch slander for it
bingo!

he went the jay z route.... dont do it if a L can be taken..only associate yourself with winning..

not mad at him....

Lebron is annoying.

he never wanted to do it. dude is a vagina.

he didnt want to enter a competition and end up losing, thats a damn FACT.

if players get inspiration from some of the dunks on 2k....we would have something...IM SERIOUS in case you were wondering.

Last edited:
if players get inspiration from some of the dunks on 2k....we would have something...IM SERIOUS in case you were wondering.

You do know that Team Flight Brothers did the mo cap for this right?

He's possibly the greatest athlete ever.  Dude is creative.  Dude could do whatever.  He just was too scared to take a L in his younger days and now he feels like he's too "old".  So yeah he let his window pass by.  But it has nothing to do with creativity.  He has more creative in game dunks than some dunk champs.  And he's a VERY creative personality with resources.  Don't make lame excuses for him.  VC stole all his dunks from Jameel Pugh and nobody cared.
Sacramento States finest!!! Did they hook up and have a few dunk sessions? Or did he just see some of his dunks on the 2000 version of YouTube? Lime wire or something

I'm sure he knows he wouldn't win, and that would be embarrassing for him.

Last edited:

You really think he would lose though?? Regardless of how good his dunks are compared to the competition, he would win. He could do some basic dunk with power just like Blake Griffin did and the judges would give him a perfect score. The dunk contest is a popularity contest and is rigged, the best don't win.

I am glad this is now put to rest, I didn't want to see him in it anyways for the above reasons.

And PowerBallin talking about how Lebron can be creative and even his personality is creative. Does it taste like chicken?

Last edited:
I thought he was gonna do it his rookie year. He wasn't an all star that year so if he had lost then it wouldn't have been too big of a deal.

I know I'm going to get stamped as a "stan" but I don't see how you guys don't see where he's coming from with this. I mean as a Lebron fan I'd like to see him go up against Griffin, but at the same time like he said he has to think about the season and preserving himself.

I thought he was gonna do it his rookie year. He wasn't an all star that year so if he had lost then it wouldn't have been too big of a deal.
Ya I found a few articles from mid January 2004 about his ankle injury forcing him out of the contest. I think he would have done it then too. But the ankle thing was legit...

Back
Top Bottom