Lets Discuss The Industry

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

Flint, Rock, would NIKE be smart to dip their NIKE Pro and dri fit clothing like $5-10 and just blow UA away. Again if UA's apparel goes down, they are done. Or what if NIKE just took over UA, their stock is at $26.52, couldnt they just overatake UA? Or do they like the competition?

They both can afford to.  UA's Board has been pressuring Kevin (owner of UA) to sell, but I haven't kept up on if Nike is still trying to buy UA.  UA top Brass dont want to sell for sure.  Nike Basketball and Performance Apparel could afford to bring down their pricepoint, but everyone is concerned about that mighty dollar.

Nike did it with some of their latest non signature stuff but if you have ALOT of your retailers having to put stuff up on Clearance and Nike itself see's its Outlets staying stocked, something should be considered.

Some dont like the Puppet commercials, and thats fine but are you maybe "thinking like an adult" to much. My son loves them, thinks they are great. Not that he is the be all end all but he is in that younger generation that the companies covet so much.
Nah, I am always thinking like a kid...lol

I am just curious (because i really dont know) what tech is adidasdoing tech-wise that is great and new? Last thing that comes to mind isthe bounce concept. Which came out after shox and seemed like a rip-offof the shox tech. 
Off the top of my head....

Bounce: Their most widely used cushioning system on high end models in their hoops and running lines is this technology (Micro/Super).  And yes, it is a straight rip of Shox, no matter how they sell it....

ForMotion: Transition & responsiveness technology.  Supposedly this technology "adjusts" to your foot to bring a smoother footstrike with the ground (How?  I Dunno).  They are saying this technology uses the "natural movement of sport" (um, OK). This tech is used in the TS Cut Creator that C Billups & D Rose rocks....

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Nike did it withsome of their latest non signature stuff but if you have ALOT of yourretailers having to put stuff up on Clearance and Nike itself see's itsOutlets staying stocked, something should be considered. 
Yep. I'd like to see how much Nike apparel that a D I C K s / Sports Authority / Foot Locker RTV's (return to vendor) back to Nike.  I bet with the increase in product over the years the amount has to be much more.

I remember being able to see a Nike tech golf polo at a Niketown last for almost 5-to-6 months at Niketown before hitting the outlet; now, I feel that product moves every 2-to-3 months & is immediately marked down for much more.

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

Bounce: Their most widely used cushioning system on high end models in their hoops and running lines is this technology (Micro/Super).  And yes, it is a straight rip of Shox, no matter how they sell it....
Well, Nike sued adidas and lost.
A german newspaper tested running shoes and the adidas microbouncer won.
The best Nike was on fourth or fith place and it was not shox-based.

Nike could easily buy Under Armor, but I think they would rather use their muscle and force them out of the market. The minute they start slipping, just know Nike will take away their shelf space, undercut them and beat them to a pulp. I feel the Nike corporate culture is more inclined to win rather than buyout, and I feel shareholders, myself included, do not think UA is worth the cost at the moment.

Nike wouldnt buy them to have more shelf space. They would buy them to enhance their brand and have a bigger revenue stream. There is no way anyone at Nike would say they aren't worth purchasing. Look at Nike's other purchases. Converse and Umbro to name a few.

They LOVE buying up and buying out. Just not sure if they want to after laying so many people off last spring.

Nike's Dri-fit line hasn't duplicated UA's Cold Warm or Turf Gear at all. Im a Nike loyalist and realize UA has a good product.. but they aren't focused with their strategy.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

lololol.. I told Drew...

Its why I skip Lines.. lolol

I forget I need pics with my disertations. lol

I am guilty of trying to goad you in here abit lol.

i agree with alot of what you stated(i don't need no stinkin' cliffnotes) but the thing that floored me was the Lebron football line.

I had the exact same idea last year when I was trying to put together something I would pitch at NIke if I could get an internship, using a lion pride as a way to fit linearity(real word) and house all the Bron sig bball stuff under one roof. Since I read so much about you having your ideas poached I will stop right there, but if it got you curious Rock, i wouldn't mind discussing it with you outside forums.

and as for Cody, I couldn't be happier. he really floors me even with his half +%$ stuff. Ima research APL and see whats up. and as much  as I *+$*# about the VII's max, I respect Petrie not only cuz he is one of our own, but he was willing to try something new. After reading the new SC, i found a new appreciation for the VII, but I still can't ball in it lol.

Drew trust me. I learned my lesson. I have several Presentations which were date stamped in Adobe and I have sooooo many emails that I kept..but I pride myself knowing some of the things I pitched were good enough to be used...

Lets chop it up sometime. I will send you a copy of my Bron stuff.

I would appreciate and enjoy that very much rock. I will ty to hit you up sometime later this week about the bron line stuff,got some papers to write first.

To be honest I value a lot of what you, Flint, and a couple others have to say because of the knowledge you purvey. As much as FTL sucks as a job,I can say that my footwear knowledge actually exceeds a great deal of current employees for the most part and honestly its because I took my own time to research the product. Which is why when you see companies in the shape they are in not moving forward,it is disheartening and makes you wonder if they will simply rest on the laurels of the Retro sneaker?

And Flint, bounce exceeds shox by far,at least in my opinion. The the jut acts a little better when implemented full lenght that shox. Now the tls on the other hand are a different story,I have heard great things about the shox tl line, that is if it's still around.

Flint, when did Miami switch to UA?? I saw them in Pro Combat unis so when was this? I know Hawaii and Utah are former Nike schools, now UA. Boston College is now UA, switching from Reebok, leaving no Reebok schools now in D1. I like this thread a lot, this is what NT is all about, classic discussion without people bashing each other's opinions.

I think it all comes down to marketing. What is the last adidas commercial you remember? UA ran to long with the pumped up people on steroids, they need a new direction. NIKE I remember the AP commercial for Pro Combat, and the puppets. Are thse companies relying too much on internet and viral marketing? People still do watch TV, especially sports and I think thats where they need to go back to. Facebook and Twitter are great, but I believe they should branch off the TV trunk. At the end of the commercial have the Facebook or Twitter page.

Yeah UA's "We Must Protect This House" got old really fast and then they had like lil kids getting pumped up like the adults on school buses and it just screamed hyper-masculinity. Marketing is very key, especially when trying to get kids to buy your product at a younger age and get them to be loyal to a particular brand. When you get them when they are young and impressionable, you might have a loyalist for life. Nike has had some very memorable ads to this day, all of Jordan's people remember, aka 100-Foot Hoop, I've failed over and over again, Mars Blackmon, etc. But you got the Lil Penny ones, Play, What are you training for, the amazing Freestyle commercials, Tiger bouncing the ball on the club, and I could go on for days.

Originally Posted by MP23

Flint, when did Miami switch to UA?? I saw them in Pro Combat unis so when was this? I know Hawaii and Utah are former Nike schools, now UA. Boston College is now UA, switching from Reebok, leaving no Reebok schools now in D1. I like this thread a lot, this is what NT is all about, classic discussion without people bashing each other's opinions.
You are right - Miami was wearing Nike in their Bowl game Dec 29th vs Wisconsin....

But a switch must have happened....peep this:

2ceqagi.jpg

New recruits just a couple weeks ago.  And here's new apparel for sale:

dwphkx.jpg

Also, Maryland is now a UA school (UA founder is a Terp).

Originally Posted by DrewDioxin

Tobe honest I value a lot of what you, Flint, and a couple others have tosay because of the knowledge you purvey. As much as FTL sucks as ajob,I can say that my footwear knowledge actually exceeds a great dealof current employees for the most part and honestly its because I tookmy own time to research the product.
No sweat, fam.  I also have retail lengthy footwear retailbackground but now dabble in a different field.  Glad you share thepassion too
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DrewDioxin

AndFlint, bounce exceeds shox by far,at least in my opinion. The the jutacts a little better when implemented full lenght that shox. Now thetls on the other hand are a different story,I have heard great thingsabout the shox tl line, that is if it's still around.
Word.I have only tried on my brother's Bounces and they were comfy.  I ammerely making my statement based on the sheer timing of it (Shox first,Bounce second).  Appears Nike created it and adidas perfected it.

You sure Miami went full out UA? I've seen UNC UA apparel before but they obviously haven't switched. The All American thing was UA sponsored right?

I can't believe we actually have a discussion on different brands without people flaming. This is great.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

You sure Miami went full out UA? I've seen UNC UA apparel before but they obviously haven't switched. The All American thing was UA sponsored right?
You (and MP23) are probably right - its probably just a license for apparel.  I know for a fact though that Maryland is a UA school. 

During the NFL Playoffs I saw Ray Lewis rocking "U" UA gear during the week of the Pats/Ravens game.

Has anybody heard anything else about the Michigan/Adidas relationship? Last I heard from someone on here Michigan wasn't happy with the way Adidas was doing things compared to how Nike was with apparel/gear. I didn't hear too much outside of that.

Also, don't each individual sport programs within these college schools have their own contracts? I think Boston College was wearing Reebok still tonight but I didn't pay attention at all. Maybe this is their final year with Reebok and then they go UA next season?

I still can't get with Maryland and UA on the bball court. At least when they had the Nike/Jordan shoes last year it wasn't as bad.

Nike/Jordan-killing everybody in performance basketball shoes. I really don't see that changing at all. I've tried to get with Adidas and the shoes they make, but i'm not a fan at all. Nothing else compares to what they are doing. Like said before, I don't understand why JB is trying to NOT be more like Nike. But that's a diff story I guess. Can't really get too into this discussion right now because I gotta watch my heels struggle vs NCSU but i'll be back later. This thread=WIN.

Well Michigan should not have thrown such a fit over the conditions of NIKE factories overseas. From what I heard NIKE said if you dont like it we will take our ball and go home and now they are stuck with adidas. Does anyone know if Tennessee will be switching? I think thier contract is up and I heard Bruce Pearl wants to go to NIKE. I think it would be a good move the "orange nation" buys stuff in bulk.

Crazy EBW i think the athletic dept has the deal with the company but I could be wrong.

Whats the over/under before Reebok is just swallowed up by adidas? Ill start the bidding at 5 years.

Crazy,

Just to chime in on something you mentioned. BC was/is wearing Reebok this year, but will be switching to UA next season.

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

Crazy,

Just to chime in on something you mentioned. BC was/is wearing Reebok this year, but will be switching to UA next season.

Word.

I hate to turn this into a "college gear" post, but I wonder how many athletes make their final decision based off of what the school wears? Obviously not everyone cares or even knows what the school wears, but there are a lot of dudes who pay attention to that stuff i'm sure. The percentage has to be very small but I know some dudes have to keep up with that and make that at least ONE of their deciding factors.

I hate seeing some of my favorite NBA players wearing Adidas and other low-end brands. Like Raymond Felton rocking Adidas. I've heard he's ready to get out of that contract. I think it's his last year. Beasley wearing Adidas doesn't look right either. Dude is obviously some sort of shoe head from what we saw him wearing at K-State, so I guess that money talked.

Didn't Durant take like 10 million less to go Nike? I respect that. Not just because it's Nike, but because he didn't go for just the money and stuck with what he knows/likes. I'm sure (would HOPE) Nike would take care of him with the next contract. The buzz behind his creamsicles was good and i've had a few people ask me where to find the KD line. Can't hate on that. I think Nike should do more advertising with him, especially considering how much he has evolved into an elite scorer in the league with only his third year in the league. Hell, give the man a puppet cameo or something.

There is no way anyone at Nike would say they aren't worth purchasing.Look at Nike's other purchases. Converse and Umbro to name a few.

I'm saying, as a finance guy, and as an investor, UA at its current price is NOT worth it, especially because its share price will drop. The UA brand is a great intangible asset, but you look at Converse, Umbro, Bauer (though failed), Starter, etc., they were all acquired at a good price and relatively low risk for Nike. Converse has done a wonderful job expanding through Nike's channels and putting themselves in Target, while keeping the brand's integrity.

If UA drops to $21 or under, then its a great move because Nike won't have to pay such a high premium.

Back
Top Bottom