Living With Less. A Lot Less. vol. i know this is NIKEtalk, but insightful read

Good read.

I cut down my shoes to 5 pairs and whenever i wanna get a new one i ditch one pair so i can stay at 5.  

Man I feel this article.... Sometimes I look in my closet and say " why the fudge do I have all these shoes,clothes" could have spent that money on trips... I look at how much I spend on rent/going out and I get it.... It's like we are in a cycle of just buying to feel good or look better then other people... I don't knock anybody who wants that life but I am looking to downsize myself and travel more and get people out of my circle that only worship things instead of experiences...

Man I feel this article.... Sometimes I look in my closet and say " why the fudge do I have all these shoes,clothes" could have spent that money on trips... I look at how much I spend on rent/going out and I get it.... It's like we are in a cycle of just buying to feel good or look better then other people... I don't knock anybody who wants that life but I am looking to downsize myself and travel more and get people out of my circle that only worship things instead of experiences...

Do that and you'll see a world of difference in your life.

Some of you guys are arguing too hard against this.

Think of it like this. When you're a broke high school student living with your parents, you eat what's there. Breakfast at home, lunch at school, dinner is whatever your mom cooks. That's it. Then when you get to college, everybody gets that freshman 15. Basically most freshman gain around 15 pounds the first year, because now they control their own diet. And because they control their own diet, they got a prepaid meal plan that's a part of tuition, and they're not restricted to whatever their parents have, they overdo it. They eat everything. But after they go through that freshman 15, most people realize that it's not sustainable, and unless you wanna be a fat bastard for the rest of your life, you learn to eat responsibly and hit the gym. So that's where this guy is at. All the "stuff" that yall are gonna buy and bring into your life once yall get the money, that's that freshman 15. All he's saying is that the stuff you're chasing after, once you get it, you realize that you didn't really need it all. Maybe some of it but not all of it.

And everybody saying he has no right to tell people who haven't made it to live minimal, that's like saying a senior has no right to tell a freshman to eat right and hit the gym so you don't end up with a gut. It's wisdom from somebody that's been there, that's all. If anything you should be more inclined to take their advice because they've already been through the stage where they overidulged and they realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I think it's a fair statement and the guy has a point. Whether you choose to listen or not is on you, you are your own person, but don't act like he's talking out of his ***, what he said was real talk. Now that's not saying being broke is cool. If you can't take care of yourself and provide basic things then I get it, you gotta go get what you need. He's just saying you don't HAVE to overindulge,

It's actually so random this post popped up now, because I've basically been through what's he's been through when I graduated college (on a much, much lower level of course), and I agree 100%. I've been planning on filling up bags and selling and/or donating at least $10000 worth of clothes that still have the tags on them and other "stuff" that I've barely even touched over the last 4 years. And 10k is a low estimate. I could've traveled brazil and europe with my friends for a whole summer with that kinda money. I'm just saying, experiences > stuff, in my experience at least.

Fantastic post. well said.

da article comes across as left wingy...rationing out your life for da greater good..im sorry but if i want it ALL, who's to tell me i shouldn't?

That vid was cool. Very cool design. I would live there myself. I've always wanted a clean simplistic place to live.

Especially after growing up in a house with 4 siblings and it being overcrowded and cluttered 24/7. 

This clown just got out of a buffet and is telling everyone in line that is starving that food is overrated.

View media item 195937
View media item 210072

For real.

People like this are the biggest hypocrites in the world.

Actually, it's more like a guy getting out of an overpriced buffet, getting food poisoning, and then telling everyone in line that they shouldn't eat at the buffet because you can get food poisoning and it's overpriced, and that they should go across the street instead to the cleaner, more well-priced buffet.

IMO, that's a pretty nice guy :D

:lol:

Some of you guys are arguing too hard against this.

Think of it like this. When you're a broke high school student living with your parents, you eat what's there. Breakfast at home, lunch at school, dinner is whatever your mom cooks. That's it. Then when you get to college, everybody gets that freshman 15. Basically most freshman gain around 15 pounds the first year, because now they control their own diet. And because they control their own diet, they got a prepaid meal plan that's a part of tuition, and they're not restricted to whatever their parents have, they overdo it. They eat everything. But after they go through that freshman 15, most people realize that it's not sustainable, and unless you wanna be a fat bastard for the rest of your life, you learn to eat responsibly and hit the gym. So that's where this guy is at. All the "stuff" that yall are gonna buy and bring into your life once yall get the money, that's that freshman 15. All he's saying is that the stuff you're chasing after, once you get it, you realize that you didn't really need it all. Maybe some of it but not all of it.

And everybody saying he has no right to tell people who haven't made it to live minimal, that's like saying a senior has no right to tell a freshman to eat right and hit the gym so you don't end up with a gut. It's wisdom from somebody that's been there, that's all. If anything you should be more inclined to take their advice because they've already been through the stage where they overidulged and they realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I think it's a fair statement and the guy has a point. Whether you choose to listen or not is on you, you are your own person, but don't act like he's talking out of his ***, what he said was real talk. Now that's not saying being broke is cool. If you can't take care of yourself and provide basic things then I get it, you gotta go get what you need. He's just saying you don't HAVE to overindulge,

It's actually so random this post popped up now, because I've basically been through what's he's been through when I graduated college (on a much, much lower level of course), and I agree 100%. I've been planning on filling up bags and selling and/or donating at least $10000 worth of clothes that still have the tags on them and other "stuff" that I've barely even touched over the last 4 years. And 10k is a low estimate. I could've traveled brazil and europe with my friends for a whole summer with that kinda money. I'm just saying, experiences > stuff, in my experience at least.

Your 100% without a doubt correct. What's sad is that people don't like to listen no more.

i take the advice with a grain of salt just like everyone else should, but i won't deny that living in a place with less things is sometimes cool because it can make you appreciate other aspect of life more

da article comes across as left wingy...rationing out your life for da greater good.. im sorry but if i want it ALL, who's to tell me i shouldn't?

i mean i hear you, it can come off condescending coming from a person that is so wealthy that money is literally not an issue for them & lived the live most dream to but don't let the messenger invalidate the message...it isn't about rationing really, though the path we are on is kind of unsustainable, it is more about consumerism/people pursuing material things or titles thinking it will make them happy; when the reality is if your basic needs are being met (adequate earnings, food, relationships, & shelter) those material goods do little to actually improve the quality of our lives...

his loft is dope (though it definitely looks like 'money'), it seems like more of a study of possible solutions for space efficiency than something an average person could do...

Exactly.

I mean his Soho pad with "less" isn't exactly too shabby...

Lul'd at how to be black book on shelf

I've been working towards living minimalist like this for a while 

Getting rid of all the extra 'stuff', clothes/shoes, papers, ect. throughout the house makes a huge difference 

I'm currently in the midst of downsizing. Over the past 2 years, I've sold most of my shoes and clothes only keeping my work clothes and a select few casual items. I realized that I tend to wear the same stuff over and over. I make a few clothing purchases a year that I scrutinize religiously. I'm planning on getting rid of my roommates, selling my house and moving into a bachelor pad. I just don't see the point of accumulating stuff anymore; it causes more headaches that anything else. I'm at my happiest when I'm traveling and eating good food whether it be by myself or with friends.

i agree but i just can't part with those Jordan's in my closet ...or those CD's.....or those jerseys......or games. not like they're taking control of my life, but you know....took a long time to collect those

Back
Top Bottom