Long term storage question.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes.  I'm an older gentleman, so I don't go through shoes as fast as I used to.  Since they work for ball as well as work and casual, I purchaced several pair of Kobe V's, possibly enough to last 4 or 5 years.  What is the best way to store them?  I have them covered in a box with some moisture pads right now.  Any idea if they break down over time?  Thanks  

Biggest thing I've seen is to avoid a lot of temperature change. I have many shoes in my top floor which gets very cold and hot depending on the season. My shoes have taken a beating, consistent temps really help

LOL I'm an older gentleman myself (37 yrs old) and I have shoes in storage for over a decade in the basement.

As dmxfury has stated some decent temp control will help a lot.

I've gone the XL ziploc bag route with silica pacs, in their original box. Funny enough I have yet to unDS any pair over 10+ years in storage so I just might have to bite the bullet & unwrap an older pair, just to see how they've held up.

If build quality is anything to go by, best to wear your Kobes season by season, depending on wear.

Being a perishable consumer good, Nikes and shoes in general have a shelf life. Glues, upper materials, soles, foam, etc. all degrade & deteriorate with time, even in storage

Unless we are talking hermetically sealed (& even we have people on this board that say shoes need to "breathe", especially if they are leather) DS shoes will probably last you inside a decade, tops. Anything other than that we are talking shelf collector status or conversation piece, sad to say.

don't use silica packs, unless you live in an extremely humid area. 4 or 5 years for a newer model sneaker shouldn't be a problem. just don't keep them in a very hot, humid or dry place and don't let them stay soaked if you get them wet. use them all periodically for ball or just casually. don't let them sit without wearing them and you shouldn't have any problems.

"Being a perishable consumer good, Nikes and shoes in general have a shelf life. Glues, upper materials, soles, foam, etc. all degrade & deteriorate with time, even in storage

Unless we are talking hermetically sealed (& even we have people on this board that say shoes need to "breathe", especially if they are leather) DS shoes will probably last you inside a decade, tops. Anything other than that we are talking shelf collector status or conversation piece, sad to say. "

The above statement is absolutely correct. The only other variable to avoid is sunlight or ultraviolet light. A dark location is generally best.
Ozone is the culprit of all elastromeric materials and as such all sneakers will degrade over time. Generally, they lose their elastic properties, chip, fade and become brittle. A sad fact of life.

That's why I have shelves for shoes like my OG air tech challenges, Furys, etc. Can't wear but can display!

Back
Top Bottom