Looking to buy a car...what ya'll know about SALVAGE TITLES in California? Any advice?

Looking at a few cars here and there but 'salvages' keep coming up. At first I was like 
sick.gif
, but then I did a lil research and now I'm kinda like 
ohwell.gif

Anybody have any experience purchasing one? Any advice on purchasing (or not purchasing) one? I'm not much of a car guy but I DO have A BIT of interest in doing some of my own (minor) repairs. 

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

Looking at a few cars here and there but 'salvages' keep coming up. At first I was like 
sick.gif
, but then I did a lil research and now I'm kinda like 
ohwell.gif

Anybody have any experience purchasing one? Any advice on purchasing (or not purchasing) one? I'm not much of a car guy but I DO have A BIT of interest in doing some of my own (minor) repairs. 

Just make sure you do your research. Some of them may have been previously stolen in the past, others might have minor damage, others might be really messed up.

Try car auctions, they're pretty good here in CA.

Wouldnt do it, when it comes to selling it its a pain, depreciated value etc. and sometimes the damage isnt always what they seem. Imo wouldnt do it trust me.

What do you want us to tell you? It'll be all good, go ahead and cop brah...

It's called salvaged for a reason.

Ya u can only buy liability for it. Some may have been in major wrecks and been independently repaired by a body shop out of pocket. Do a car fax and check it out, also if you have a reputable mechanic take them with you to check the car out.

My pops just picked up an sl 500 salvage title on the lowwww for 11k so theres some good deals out there only thing is the cars frame might be weakened from the repairs.

Originally Posted by JT AIR JT

Originally Posted by notoriousPAT

you can only buy liability insurance
Any truth to this? I'm looking at a Lexus IS300 with a salvage title. 
frown.gif

You can get full coverage but not many insurances offer it for salvage cars. A salvage title car also cost more to insure. You also gotta be careful when buying a salvage car. Some people just it was a fender bender but there could been more damage. Also when trying to selling a salvage car its a pain.

Get a salvaged Honda or Toyota. The value is still high.

Lexus is good too. If you're gonna drive this car for the next 5+ years I don't see the problem if it checks out fine otherwise.

I have a 2002 salvage camry. I've had it for 8 years. It runs well, not as well as a non salvage though. I have to get a lot of alignments and every time I go they tell me the frame is bent and they can't totally align it but I don't notice it much when I drive it, plus I have free lifetime alignments from firestone. The registration is cheap, resell sucks but I didn't pay much for it. Overall you have to know what happened to it and you should try to find out who did the work to fix it up and whether or not they are reliable

you can still get full coverage with a salvaged title i have 01 bmw 740il that is salvaged and i have full coverage with state farm

Back
Top Bottom