Looking to start making beats

Just done some really brief research but some more guidance would help.

So what I've figured is that I need a program, beat machine, also a keyboard.

I was curious to what do sliders and knobs do? I was looking into purchasing the akai 26 to play around with until I learn more.

Also is there any recommended programs to get for free? Possible through torrents or another route ?

Any advice or links to websites/forums/videos would help and be appreciated.

Last edited:
Don't ponder, either do it or don't. Most producers don't really start to find/per-fect their sound until 3+ years

Don't use fruity loops, the sound gets dry quick...Work Work Work.

That is all.

Start out with a program that you can use to learn the essentials of production. A beat machine/keyboard/midi controller isn't necessary if you're just starting out.

Also FL is fine to use as a DAW...ESPECIALLY for beginners.

Nothing wrong with FL Studio. A bit pricey but umm... it's possible to find it for free.

OP you don't need to buy hardware yet until you actually learn the basics of programming beats. I know that sounds like blasphemy to some old heads but let's face it.. it's 2013, nowadays most novices/casual beatmakers find it easier to make music on their computers and not machines.

Sliders and knobs are just to automate controls in your software, which is why you should just start with software so you can figure out what you're doing. Everything the MPD26 does can be done on your computer, having a physical controller isn't necessary to make beats. But once you know the basics, buying a machine to mess around with wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I agree with plvn and DT

Also it helps to learn some instruments, music theory, and sound design because it'll be easier to get the sounds from your head into the program you plan on using.

I also suggest on getting WAVES plugins.

Back
Top Bottom