Lost Debit Card What would you do

Received a vmail early this morning from someone who states that my bank transferred him through to my phone as he found my debit card in an atm yesterday. He left his contact info and number to call him at but the place he is at is about 1 hr away. Would you go pick it up or just cancel the card and have a new one sent? Where he said he found it was close to where he is located but not close to where I know I left it.

Call the bank and ask them to FREEZE that card and ask him to mail the card (since its an hour away, it should come to you the same day) and send him like $10.00 in the mail for his troubles and honesty. 

why would the bank disclose your personal information to someone who found your card. u should cancel the card, imo. Call the bank too.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

why would the bank disclose your personal information to someone who found your card. u should cancel the card, imo. Call the bank too.
This due to privacy laws - the bank might call you but they would never provide your information for someone to contact you.  This sounds like a scam and I would cancel the card and reorder a new one - also never contact the guy who left you the voicemail.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Lost Debit Card What would you doReceived a vmail early this morning from someone who states that my bank transferred him through to my phone as he found my debit card in an atm yesterday. He left his contact info and number to call him at but the place he is at is about 1 hr away. Would you go pick it up or just cancel the card and have a new one sent? Where he said he found it was close to where he is located but not close to where I know I left it.
i would cancel the card instead of wasting time by asking niketalk what i should do

Originally Posted by bc60997

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

This due to privacy laws - the bank might call you but they would never provide your information for someone to contact you.  This sounds like a scam and I would cancel the card and reorder a new one - also never contact the guy who left you the voicemail.

How is it a scam? OP left his card, guy found his card, guy obtained the number to contact him that he found his card...The guy left his contact info and everything...I'm not getting the scam part?

so you are going on the date with the serial killer. GET A NEW ONE BRO

have him mail it?

wait, that's... card number, mailing/billing address, and free stuff.

cancel it, and dispute any transactions that you did not make. if it is how he says it is, that the bank let the info go, the bank should have put a freeze on it from when he said ''found a card''

Cancel it and get a new one. It sounds sketchy and debit card loss protection is a PITA to recover lost funds.

Soon as I realized that my card was missing I would have cancelled it.

What were you doing dillydallying around like a fool?

Wait op, what's the card number, exp, and 3 digit code on the back?
You came to NT first, you should at least post that info so we can further help you.

I wasnt really asking NT for what I should do obviously I cancelled the card. Just wanted to hear some responses. I actually googled him and he had a facebook def doesnt appear to be the scamming type standing in front of planes he owns but I did wind up calling him and he said he would cut up the card and toss it.
Just kinda wanted to hear people on NT say its a TRAP!

Also of all the ideas asking him to mail it is the worst. Then he would have basically all the info he needed if he were a scammer to steal my identity.

Also the bank didnt give him my number they connected him through to my phone. Something I did find funny is that the bank did tell him the card hadnt been cancelled yet. If they had told him that then he said he would of just cut it up

If yall found a debit card in an atm would you go through the trouble of trying to contact the person or just toss it or im sure there are some of you out there who would try and use it.

I'd switch banks if they really just gave out your info like that. Most banks would tell the person that found it to bring it in to their local branch and drop it off.

Originally Posted by RECOGNIZE GAME

Wait op, what's the card number, exp, and 3 digit code on the back?
You came to NT first, you should at least post that info so we can further help you.

this dude have yo card call the FEDS

Yeah something isn't right. Banks should never give out your number or other personal info to ANYONE. Hell I have found Debit/Credit cards all the time tried to get it returned to the person and the banks will not do that. They told me don't worry about it and to just destroy the card, even if you drop it off at their bank I think they still destroy it.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

takes a minute to get a new one in any local bank.

Take about 5-7 days to get me a new one but doesnt really matter b/c i hardly every use that debit card that is like my tertiary acct. Only reason I was there was to make a deposit and i will say those new atms BOA has are nice let me deposit 50 100's all at once with immediate credit.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Originally Posted by tim teufel

takes a minute to get a new one in any local bank.

Take about 5-7 days to get me a new one but doesnt really matter b/c i hardly every use that debit card that is like my tertiary acct. Only reason I was there was to make a deposit and i will say those new atms BOA has are nice let me deposit 50 100's all at once with immediate credit.

they also bumped check deposits from 100 available to 200.

Back
Top Bottom