Luckier Franchise: Rockets or Broncos

Let me be clear. Lin is nowhere near the stratosphere of greatness as Peyton, and I am in no way insinuating that he is. However, the two situations are incredibly analogous.

Granted, Lin doesn't transform the Rockets into competitive relevance immediately, as Peyton does for the Broncos, but there's no denying that he has elevated the franchise from the bowels of the NBA into social relevance. Two dormant franchises suddenly became worthy of non-fans talking about them with the fortuitous acquisition of a player that has mass appeal. Neither had to give up anything.

Broncos got the best quarterback ever for free. Best case scenario, Peyton balls for three years in the vicinity of his greatness, and Broncos get a 'ship. Pretty dope windfall.

Rockets got a kid loungin at the apex of celebrity that has demonstrated a potential to ball so hard Stern gonna fine him, albeit holes in his game remain. But Lin is 23. If son turns out to be a baller, then the Rockets got years of blessings ahead. And even if Lin don't ball, Rockets will still see mad paper so they'll be aight.

Broncos got the best quarterback ever for free.

broncos but rockets have a pretty nice future. once they add a center they should be alright, i like their young talent a lot. 

As far as "social relevance", yea you might be right.  But I don't really care about that.

What matters is skill.  In that situation, they're exact opposites.

I don't like Manning, and I'm ambivalent towards Lin.

Manning is a proven champion with years of stats to back it up, a veritable track record of brilliance. The only bad thing is he's coming off injury. And he's going to a team that lucked out to land him.

Lin, on the other hand, is wet behind the ears and hasn't proven himself in the eyes of anyone except his fans, by his streak of good games. And the Rockets are taking a gamble on him, hoping it'll pay off.  Calling them lucky now is premature.

Manning is a proven champion with years of stats to back it up, a veritable track record of brilliance. The only bad thing is he's coming off injury. And he's going to a team that lucked out to land him.
Lin, on the other hand, is wet behind the ears and hasn't proven himself in the eyes of anyone except his fans, by his streak of good games. And the Rockets are taking a gamble on him, hoping it'll pay off.  Calling them lucky now is premature.

This. Shouldn't even be a thread, The answer is obvious.

Kyle lowry> Goran dragic> Jeremy Lin. The only think about getting Lin in a rockets uniform is all the bandwagon fans. The last good thing that happen to the rockets is Yao Ming. If it wasn't for injuries he could of have a ring in 09.

Is there something about Jermey Lin that you know about that you should tell us about??
Peyton is a great. Lin is an above average PG.

People are overblowing the whole Asian popularity thing.

If he is not good...THEY WILL NOT make dough.

See: Yi Jianlian

NT experts were just so sure he'd be voted in the ASG every year and have a top selling jersey.

lin isn't taking us anywhere on the court. off the court he'll drive ticket and merch sales until he gets exposed for his lack of a left hand. also, hardly any major talent around him like in NY= having the defense gameplan against you.

/\ To his credit...he was going off when NY's "major talent" was hurt. That 38 point game at the Garden vs the Lakers came w/ him starting w/ Landry Fields, Bill Walker, Jared Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler.

I concur that the last time the Rockets were lucky was winning the lottery for Yao. Like literally lucky. They were supposed to pick 8 or 9 that year. All bad luck with the injuries to Yao and Tmac on forward though. Getting Lin was lucky in a sense, but I feel pretty confident that at worse, Lin will be a mediocre PG. At best, an above average one. 8m per year, capwise, for three years isn't the worst thing in the world if he flutters. I think more people would feel the Rockets got lucky if they got Dwight and he stayed.

Bowels of relevance? :lol:

They just want the Asian market, which was dipping since Yao Ming retired. Smart move.

However, the Broncos will be much improved if Peyton is healthy next season.

Back
Top Bottom