MacBook Air or Pro for college?

I'd go with the Air.  I have a Pro and the corners dig into your wrist, it's pretty uncomfortable unless you're tying on a desk.  The Air is a lot lighter too and uses an SSD instead of a HDD, so it's quicker when opening applications...

the 11" air looks great. i like how portable it seems. hoping my current mb stays fine til next year

Last edited:
I know you want a Mac, but you just described exactly why you don't need to spend $1000+ on a computer in your last sentence. Feel free to stimulate the economy though.

My suggestion, whichever is cheaper.
this...

Plus 90% of the usage is going to go to fapping ...

I say cop a $500 laptop ... MacBook won't add swag.

If the air came in a 15 inch form, I'd buy it. The keyboard on a 13 inch is just too damn small.

Get one of the older pros that are user upgradeable (2011), they should be way cheaper now.
Swap hard drive to SSD
Max ram
Profit $$$

If you're getting a pro just go all out with the retina 17.

I have a 13 inch air and have no regrets.

I just bought one before fall semester started. I never touch it outside of class unless I'm studying.
Huge waste of money, but I guess it's nice knowing how OSX works a bit

I think I'm gonna go with the air. I know the pro is NTs Mac of choice but the air is just sleek. I like that its lighter and faster and like I said I won't be doing anything too complex. Just schoolwork, Internet and the occasional fap

MBP 15inch with the 8gig's of ram ftw!

...Srs note get the air since you're not going to be doing much.

I think I'm gonna go with the air. I know the pro is NTs Mac of choice but the air is just sleek. I like that its lighter and faster and like I said I won't be doing anything too complex. Just schoolwork, Internet and the occasional fap

You will have no regrets sir.

I have an 11 inch Air. I prefer it over any PC laptop ive ever had. I got it for $650 new from macconnection so i didnt pay that much. I would say go for the 13inch because my screen feels too small sometimes.

Think of the air as a Lamborghini , small and fast

Pro more like a rolls, has everything you could ever need

Personally I got the 13in air and love it, it's way faster than the pro and no moving parts means I never have to shut it down. It'll hibernate all day and not us 1% battery life. Then it wakes up in 4-5seconds. I believe battery life is longer on the air too

The ssd is super quick!! And also the air screen is better if your not getting the retina

All the pros features just add extra bulk

How would I get Microsoft stuff on an air? Like word, PowerPoint, etc.. How much does iWork's cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Pro still has the DVD player get the Pro.

Macbook is one of the best investments I ever made. I have the White Unibody from 2010 and its still going strong. Back in the day I got both an 8GB Ipod Touch and a Free Printer with the Macbook Go Back to school program
smokin.gif
.  Purchase the extended warranty and your set. I have yet to reboot my Macbook to original factory settings due to viruses or it slowing down. Make sure you upgrade your RAM to 8gb. Buy an iskin for the keyboard bc dirt seems to get in easily in the keyboard and buy a hard shell case for the notebook incase of accidental dings etc. and scratch prevention.

If the Pro still has the DVD player get the Pro.

Macbook is one of the best investments I ever made. I have the White Unibody from 2010 and its still going strong. Back in the day I got both an 8GB Ipod Touch and a Free Printer with the Macbook Go Back to school program :smokin .  Purchase the extended warranty and your set. I have yet to reboot my Macbook to original factory settings due to viruses or it slowing down. Make sure you upgrade your RAM to 8gb. Buy an iskin for the keyboard bc dirt seems to get in easily in the keyboard and buy a hard shell case for the notebook incase of accidental dings etc. and scratch prevention.

How often do you use your disc drive? Aside from ripping an odd cd here and there I can't remember the last time I used mine for anything. I agree with putting as much RAM as you can afford into them, especially if OP looks at a Retina since those aren't user serviceable with the RAM glued down to cut down on space.

get something other than the apple.

you get a lot more for your money on some of the windows pc out there. they got some crazy tech in them now, just like the phones apple behind, but ahead in hype.

love those ones where you can detach the screen and its a tablet, but if need full keyboard, click and its a notebook. they all thin now too. some even with bluray drives.

if your school dont require a mac, dont fall for hype.

I own both... I gave the Pro to my wife after getting the Air and I have no regrets... 

That's a hard one.  You can hook both up to an external monitor.  If you're taking it to class the Air is a little lighter.  You get a lot more power with the Pro though.  I am torn between picking up a 13" Air and a 15" retina.

I need a laptop for school and am very familiar with Mac so I was looking into the choices. Which would you guys recommend? I know a pro is better/has more features but I just need something so I can type papers on and do work on online classes and simple stuff like using the web.

If those are your exact requirements, then I would suggest towards a macbook air. There's no reason you would need the performance enhancements of the MBP. I noticed that most of the replies recommending a MBP didn't follow up with any real rationale nor argument against the macbook air aside from physical features.

The macbook air is perfect for everything you just stated. I would wait until the new refresh because rumor has it that they will come equipped with the retina display.

Use the tool that best fits the job. Anything more is just a matter of self-esteem and pride issues.

You don't need a Ferrari to drive to your friend's house down the street.

The money you save from the price differential of the MBA and MBP can go towards a lot of great educational Apps. The ones I use everyday are: Fantastical/Busycal, Mental Case, Evernote, Alfred 2, Pages, Eggscelent

Back
Top Bottom