Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro - Help me out guys

Originally Posted by CaptainKicks

I have a Mac and I'd say just get a PC.

Same or better specs for half the price
I already have a PC. Its what I'm using now. 
Originally Posted by nocomment6

Since you'll use it for design I'd suggest the 15", because it may not seem like a lot, but it does matter. Or you may want to get a screen, but then again a good one is expensive. Because with a MB Air you get a very portable laptop and I think it's performance is more then enough to run music, internet and so on, in addition the CS5-CS6 and all of it's components work well on it, I'm not saying that you won't notice the difference, when comparing it to a quad core, but it runs well.
But truth is you'll have to do a lot of zooming, plus the ROM isn't too big with the MB Airs, you'll definitely need an external HDD with the small capacity of SSD.

As for retina display, since you are mostly designing things that will show up on "normal" screens I don't think it's mandatory. Especially since Apple LED screens are so much better then most things on the market. Performance is better, but the price, I don't know I think it's way overpriced, it's just so much money...

Personally I got a MBP 13" 2 years ago and I love it. I can work Adobe on it and 3D programs as well at a pretty good speed, (this is "only" the 2.4 GHZ INtel Core duo 2. And I'm pleased with it. The screen thing is somewhat of an issue, I have to do a lot of zooming and sometimes I think it's a restrain, but other then that I love the size for everything else: travel, internet etc.
I actually like it so much, I am not planning on getting anything new for a bit. Maybe a 13" retina MBP or if Airs get retina, maybe in a year or so. 

Both have pros and cons, but are amazing pieces of machinery. 

Hope I could help.

Thanks for the input man. After waking up this morning and going through these replies, I'm leaning more towards the 15" Pro just like everyone is suggesting. 

I might even dish out an extra $100 and get the 1TB HDD. 

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

For those suggesting the retina Macbook Pro, it actually isn't the ideal laptop to work with for a web designer due to its extremely high resolution. You'll have issues with scaling and what you'll be seeing on your retina screen won't be the same as the majority of the world.

Read up on this: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

So yeah, since you're a web designer, go with the Air or classic MBP. Avoid the retina for now.
Ah thanks for pointing that out. 

Originally Posted by jomitm

MBP.

Performance > Weight.

You'll be thanking yourself later if you get it. You'll say you regret getting the Air if you don't.
Thats exactly how I was thinking when I woke up this morning 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by buggz05

2.0ghz is pretty low on processing power imo..
Also I think the difference between the two of mbp vs mba is that the Air is a dual-core versus the Pro's quad-core.

With technology, you don't want to get stuck behind because it moves pretty quickly these days. 2 years from now that 2.0 ghz might not be up to speed...
This has also crossed my mind also. I was in fear or that 2.0ghz would fall behind in the future. 

Man I wish the Air had a quad core
30t6p3b.gif

unless your job or profession requires you to use a mac.
PC, ultrabook. cheaper, same/better spec.

Originally Posted by jomitm

Originally Posted by CaptainKicks

I have a Mac and I'd say just get a PC.

Same or better specs for half the price

Windows is too vulnerable of an OS. Unix-based like Apple and Linux OS are better, smoother, and more protected. 

Especially for OP, who will primarily use his laptop for web development, Mac is superior. 

And I'm telling him right now that MBP is more superior than the Air in the laptop section. 
Edited for correction. Just to clear up those misconceptions... While it's true that Windows is a very vulnerable OS, there are vulnerabilities in every OS. But, if anything, Mac is the least protected OS out in the market. It just goes unnoticed because...well.. there really isn't any big gain to exploiting Macs on a large scale at this time. Any hacker/scripter/etc that can code their way out of a paper bag knows that servers and corporate infrastructures are built on Windows/Unix/Linux platforms. Why spend your time utilizing an exploit on Mac to get access to college students' pirated music collections and credit cards with $300 spending limits when companies like Sony are a much more lucrative endeavor? It's actually a LOT easier to bypass security on a mac. There are just significantly less people trying to do it.

Whether or not Apple's OS is better or more smooth is dependent on a person's personal preference and their machine's set up.

To the OP... get the Macbook Pro. You'll hate yourself in the long run for sacrificing function over form. The most important aspect of this purchase is the quality of work you put out and how well the new system will be able to help you. What's the point of buying a new system now with such dismal specifications (in the context of designers, at least) when you'll have to buy a new one in 2-3 years just to keep up?

Look for last years model slightly used off Craigs List, you'll find some good bundle deals (and make sure you look up serial number as you're allowed to add Apple care no later than one year from purchase date).

I've have an Air but I've used both. I would take an Air any day of the week over a pro.

Sold my 1st gen iPad and bought a new Air.  I love to take it everywhere, and I find it way more useful.
I decided to switch to mac as I don't like the way windows 8 is looking.  Maybe it is because I am new to it, but I really like the computing experience.

dont gt the retina display version if you plan on upgrading it. from what i read apple as glued and soldered everything in.

Back
Top Bottom