Macbook

what are the advantages over PC?  How does word/excel work on mac? pros/cons? life span?

I have been using laptops for 10 years now and the longest i have had a laptop is 2 years, my boss on the the other hand has had her macbook for 5 years now with minor upgrades along the way. hearing that pretty much has me sold.

what will i miss from pc if i make the switch?

of course i'm going to research this online, i plan on reading all the reviews on best buy.  and my search has revealed that the new macbooks are releasing this week. 

reviews of the air would also be helpful

what are the advantages over PC?  How does word/excel work on mac? pros/cons? life span?

I have been using laptops for 10 years now and the longest i have had a laptop is 2 years, my boss on the the other hand has had her macbook for 5 years now with minor upgrades along the way. hearing that pretty much has me sold.

what will i miss from pc if i make the switch?

of course i'm going to research this online, i plan on reading all the reviews on best buy.  and my search has revealed that the new macbooks are releasing this week. 

reviews of the air would also be helpful

If you have the cash get the new macbooks that should be dropping soon, get windows 7 & run bootcamp & dual boot so you get the best of both worlds

If you have the cash get the new macbooks that should be dropping soon, get windows 7 & run bootcamp & dual boot so you get the best of both worlds

I'm thinking of getting the macbook also just because how it's always running smooth. But I'm not sure whether to get a 13" or 15". I mostly see 13" with college students.

I'm thinking of getting the macbook also just because how it's always running smooth. But I'm not sure whether to get a 13" or 15". I mostly see 13" with college students.

The new Macbooks are coming out in a few week so wait a lil bit before copping one. Macbooks are the best laptops out right now. Their warranty is crazy. My girl just got her whole keyboard and housing area replaced for free on her 2 years old macbook. Also the build quality on them are way better than some of the PC manufacturers. OSX just needs more software hopefully they will be able to get more Objective C coders working on OSX applications or atleast ports.

The new Macbooks are coming out in a few week so wait a lil bit before copping one. Macbooks are the best laptops out right now. Their warranty is crazy. My girl just got her whole keyboard and housing area replaced for free on her 2 years old macbook. Also the build quality on them are way better than some of the PC manufacturers. OSX just needs more software hopefully they will be able to get more Objective C coders working on OSX applications or atleast ports.

mac hardware (casing/screen) is better designed than almost all PC's
mac and PC internals (processor/drives) are equal in terms of performance and quality.

PC internals (processor/drives) cost less than mac ie. more power for less money.

OS X is equal in terms of functionality with windows 7.

-windows 7 has slightly superior file browsing interface

-OS X runs into significantly less viruses/spyware

-Compatibilty with printers/routers/peripherals is about equal. Windows 7 seemlessly intergrates and recognizes most as does OS X.

For a laptop I would choose a Macbook Pro.

-You can get a faster PC laptop for the price of a Macbook

-The hardware (touchpad/screen/battery life/weight/reliability) makes the price difference worth it.

-Most PC laptops feel plasticky and cheap compared to the Macbook.

-Gaming laptops look like %$#% and the battery life is just as ugly.

-The HP Envy line approaches the hardware quality of the Macbook but fails to match the Macbooks battery life/touchpad quality/firewire capability.

-All functions on the Macbook work very well.... close lid (macbook sleeps).. open lid (macbook wakes up).. battery dies COMPLETELY mid-session (plug charger in and, returns to same session) PC's tend to fail in these areas (usually buggy)

For a desktop I would choose a Windows 7 based PC

-Higher end components for cheaper price.

-Aesthetics don't really matter (you aren't going to carry tower around)

-Easier and cheaper to upgrade and maintain.

-You can get a faster computer + bigger screen than a relatively priced Mac.

The desktop difference is really just the operating system.(MAC has no significant mechanical superiority)

OS X lost its edge when Windows 7 dropped.

If you:

-Have no idea what to do if you get a virus/spyware = GET A MAC

-Want to play the latest games on your computer = GET A PC

-Want a laptop to do things other than gaming = GET A MAC (trust)

mac and PC internals (processor/drives) are equal in terms of performance and quality.

PC internals (processor/drives) cost less than mac ie. more power for less money.

-Compatibilty with printers/routers/peripherals is about equal. Windows 7 seemlessly intergrates and recognizes most as does OS X.

-The hardware (touchpad/screen/battery life/weight/reliability) makes the price difference worth it.

-The HP Envy line approaches the hardware quality of the Macbook but fails to match the Macbooks battery life/touchpad quality/firewire capability.

-All functions on the Macbook work very well.... close lid (macbook sleeps).. open lid (macbook wakes up).. battery dies COMPLETELY mid-session (plug charger in and, returns to same session) PC's tend to fail in these areas (usually buggy)

The desktop difference is really just the operating system.(MAC has no significant mechanical superiority)

If you:

^ pretty much what create/destroy said. HOWEVER, i don't really think the mac hardware is really better. i think the mac pro-line of hardware is maybe sturdier because its more metal than plastic and you generally don't see any windows laptops designed with aluminum. but more importantly, i also think it largely is dependent on how well you take care of your laptop. if you throw around a macbook pro, its still gonna get beat up and broke. laptops don't generally last 5 years unless you take care of it. YOUR macbook might last that long as well because you'd take care of it better because you spent more on it than you did on a windows laptop but that doesn't really have anything to do with it being a mac; that has to do with you being more careful because you spent more. i've abused macbooks and macbook pros left and right. some haven't lasted me more than a week, the longest i've actually had 1 specific laptop without ANY problems showing up was 11 months and it was my current unibody white plastic macbook. the new macbook pros are nice, but i cannot stand the glass covering the lcd panel. glarorama

^ pretty much what create/destroy said. HOWEVER, i don't really think the mac hardware is really better. i think the mac pro-line of hardware is maybe sturdier because its more metal than plastic and you generally don't see any windows laptops designed with aluminum. but more importantly, i also think it largely is dependent on how well you take care of your laptop. if you throw around a macbook pro, its still gonna get beat up and broke. laptops don't generally last 5 years unless you take care of it. YOUR macbook might last that long as well because you'd take care of it better because you spent more on it than you did on a windows laptop but that doesn't really have anything to do with it being a mac; that has to do with you being more careful because you spent more. i've abused macbooks and macbook pros left and right. some haven't lasted me more than a week, the longest i've actually had 1 specific laptop without ANY problems showing up was 11 months and it was my current unibody white plastic macbook. the new macbook pros are nice, but i cannot stand the glass covering the lcd panel. glarorama

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

If you:

Yup, pretty much what this guy said. I love my MBP, has the perfect mix for pricepoint and functionality when I bought it. I would rather build a PC myself though if I were to buy a desktop

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

If you:

Yup, pretty much what this guy said. I love my MBP, has the perfect mix for pricepoint and functionality when I bought it. I would rather build a PC myself though if I were to buy a desktop

yea rumor has it that bestbuy will be getting the new macbooks this thursday...i thought it was dropping in march

as a new mac user, i love my imac...wish i had a MBA to compliment it though

Back
Top Bottom