Magic, Jordan, Kobe and Lebron Vol. First RING numbers.

Yeah, you could argue that they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals without some crucial performances by Bryant but you could also argue that the series just would have been extended and won by LA even if Bryant didn't play.

Originally Posted by Crime Wave

Yeah, you could argue that they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals without some crucial performances by Bryant but you could also argue that the series just would have been extended and won by LA even if Bryant didn't play.

we know the bolded to be true because it actually happened but the rest is speculation but for the most part Shaq was the main reason they won a chip

Originally Posted by RetroSan

we know the bolded to be true because it actually happened but the rest is speculation but for the most part Shaq was the main reason they won a chip
that doesn't mean Shaq GAVE him the ring, though. 
that's like saying Lebron GAVE Bosh a ring this year, when it was quite clear that if Bosh didn't step up on multiple occasions, Lebron would have gone home emptyhanded.. probably in the ECFs at that.  

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Magic
Kareem
West
Wilt
Shaq

true story...

i had this argument over in general...

back then, shaq was ridiculous... put early 2000s Tmac, VC, or Paul Pierce in Kobe's spot and you get 3 chips... maybe more cuz those guys arent the personalities of Kobe...

Come on son. Tmac? Vince Carter? These dudes have never done anything in the playoffs. I'll give you Pierce because he's clutch but he still aint on Kobes level. 

Originally Posted by Essential1

They are 4 great players, 2 still playing.. When it is all said and done.. Those 4 will make up 80% of the Top 5 greatest NBA Players to ever live.

Kobe will never be top 5.

Jellybean isnt even a top 5 laker.

have a seat.

Shutyoass228rn.gif

Originally Posted by quik1987

Kobe 2000 finals

game 1: 14 points on 13 shots.

game 2: scored 2 points and played 9 minutes due to an injury

game 3: didn't play

game 4: This was the game when Kobe stepped up and hit some big shots in over time. Kobe played pretty good and this game and had 28 points on 51% shooting, but Shaq had 36 points and 21 rebounds.

game 5: scored 8 points on 4-20 shots (20 FG%)

game 6: 8-27 shooting (29 FG%)

Compare that to Shaq's performance in the 2000 Finals.

Shaq averaged 38 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 assists on 61% shooting

Game 1: 43 points, 19 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks 67% shooting

Game 2: 40 points, 24 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks 61%shooting

Game 3: 33 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks 62% shooting

Game 4: 36 points, 21 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals 52% shooting

Game 5: 35 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals 63% shooting

Game 6: 41 points, 12 rebounds, 4 blocks 59% shooting

Bottom line: Shaq GAVE Kobe his first ring.

Kobe stans can't handle the truth, it burns their soul.

Originally Posted by jbone2308

quik1987 wrote:

Bottom line: Shaq GAVE Kobe his first ring.
And the Lakers wouldn't have got to the Finals for 2 and 3 if not for Kobes play?

Foolish argument because then Shaq should only get credit for 3 since Wade in '06 couldn't be breathed on without getting to the foul line.

This thread is in the context of their first ring. Unlike Kobe, Wade earned his first ring.

Dwyane WadeMia200634.7pts7.8reb3.8ast46.8fg%33.8per

Oh, ya, AND FINALS MVP

They are 4 great players, 2 still playing.. When it is all said and done.. Those 4 will make up 80% of the Top 5 greatest NBA Players to ever live.

have a seat.
Kobe has a better chance being top 5 than lebron though.

Danny Crawford gave Lebron his first ring.

This thread is in the context of their first ring. Unlike Kobe, Wade earned his first ring.
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Even Lebron earned his first ring more than Wade did, which is saying something.

16 of those 34ppg came from the FT line
dude took 97 FTs in 6 games
roll.gif

25 free throws in game 5
eek.gif

Originally Posted by knightngale

Even Lebron earned his first ring more than Wade did, which is saying something.

roll.gif

25 free throws in game 5
eek.gif

Agreed, Lebron and Wade earned their first ring more than Kobe.

15.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.2 apg 36%fg%

34.7ppg, 7.8rpg, 3.8apg 46.8fg% & finals mvp

28.6ppg, 10.2rpg, 7.4apg 47.2fg% & finals mvp

one of these things is not like the other

Do people forget that Shaq AVERAGED 30/15/5/3 for the ENTIRE playoff run for the first 2 championships? That's his freakin' average. That's 2K-like #s. Any all-star/superstar wing player would have won with a center putting up those ridiculous numbers.

In 2000 v. the Pacers, he averaged 38 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks, 61% shooting.
In 2001 v. Philly, he averaged 36 points, 16 boards on 60% shooting
In 2002 v. the Kings, he put up 30/14/4. Vs the nets, he put up 36/12 on 59% shooting.

Who wouldn't win with a center putting up those numbers. And Lebron put up 30/10/5 this postseason.

have a seat.
Kobe has a better chance being top 5 than lebron though.

Danny Crawford gave Lebron his first ring.

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

25 free throws in game 5
eek.gif

here's a great post about the infamous D-Whistle 2006 Finals http://www.insidehoops.co.../showthread.php?t=126843

roll.gif

25 free throws in game 5
eek.gif

game 1: 14 points on 13 shots.
game 2: scored 2 points and played 9 minutes due to an injury
game 3: didn't play
game 4: This was the game when Kobe stepped up and hit some big shots in over time. Kobe played pretty good and this game and had 28 points on 51% shooting, but Shaq had 36 points and 21 rebounds.
game 5: scored 8 points on 4-20 shots (20 FG%)
game 6: 8-27 shooting (29 FG%)
even if you discredit those first 3 rings he is still 2-1 over lebron and wade as a first option
pimp.gif

edit: the 2001 can not be discredited in anyway cause dude DESTROYED the spurs in the WCF and that was basically the NBA FINALS

Yeah this #%#% aint going nowhere. One side is saying Kobe aint earn his ring. The other saying the refs gave Lebron his ring.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Dunks and lay ups generally produce higher FG%. I thought you could have figured it out ? Are you saying Jordan was a GREAT shooter because he shot above 50% ? LOL

You got it all wrong. The thing that truly deserves a "LOL" is saying that shooting 54% over a season is not great because it was because of layups and dunks.

Are you friggin kidding me? Ever since they start playing basketball, little kids are taught that layups and shots closer to the basket are the best shots to take. But now you're going to discredit someone who worked hard to get to the basket and put an asterisk next to his field goal percentage because a bigger chunk of his points than you find suitable came off dunks and layups? And by the way, I don't even know what percentage of MJ's 91 points came off layups and dunks exactly. It still doesn't matter, because discrediting his FG% whatever the percentage of layups and dunks was is some of the dumbest analysis of basketball I've seen.

Shaq dominate 95% ? Reach . Shaq could have won with any other SG or SF ? Lol reach

How come Shaq didn't win with Penny when Penny was in his prime ? Kobe was only 21 ?

Not a reach at all.
He didn't win the 95 finals because he had to face Hakeem Olajuwon.
You can bring up Penny. I can bring up Wade. What about the fact that he won with Wade when he was nowhere near as good as he was with the Lakers? But yeah, when he was much better than he was with Wade between 1999-2004, of all the star players he needed KOBE to win.

When Shaq was out of the game for rest. It was Kobe time. His impact on perimeter defense and his presence on the floor was huge.

Whatever you claim his impact was, it was peanuts compared to Shaq's impact, which is the point.

Kobe EARNED his medals. He wasn't on some Luke Walton ride along the show

Who the hell said he was a Luke Walton? But he was along for the show. Shaq was like a kid in a candy store those years. No one was even remotely capable of stopping him.

And in the following . 2001. Kobe was beast. A second option that put up nearly 29 point a game in playoff ? Where you find such second option ?

VC , Tmac, AI , Ray Allen ain't going to give you 29 per game while having to guard other team perimeter players . Try again son

McGrady averaged 34 ppg in the first round against the Bucks. Vince Carter averaged 27 over those playoffs. Iverson 33, even though I don't think Iverson would've been a great teammate for Shaq because he wouldn't share the ball enough. Ray Allen averaged 25. Pierce averaged 25 the next year, the first time he made the playoffs. The difference? They were all kicked out of the playoffs and unlike Kobe, none of these players were drafted with a silver spoon in their mouths to be put in a position to play with a player who played in a time where he was more dominant than any other player in NBA history was during his time. Not Wilt, not Kareem, no one was as dominant compared to the rest of the league as Shaq was in the early 00s. He would've won multiple rings with all these players being his sidekick. He was just THAT dominant.

As for the finals themselves: He wasn't as bad as in the 2000 finals, but Kobe still played like meh in the 2001 finals.

Compare the 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons of Kobe with those of early 00s T-Mac. He put up great stats, but team-wise it was lottery and first round exits.

I won't even waste my time and argue with you anymore. You seriously sound like a kid. 54% from the floor isn't great because it was on layups?
laugh.gif
Assists is the most overblown stat in basketball?
roll.gif

Lol at you still trying to discredit Kobe for what he did for the Lakers. Kobe put in work Period. He HELPED Shaq. Therefore he earned his name on the ring. Of course Shaq dominated because he got Jeff Foster and Rik Smith guarding him in 2000 while playing 2 feet away from the basket ? Shaq couldn't do it when he got to play defense on Hakeem while being checked by Hakeem . My point is Kobe put in work so the Lakers can get to the Finals. You can't discredit Kobe . Go back and watch wcf games

My question was how come Shaq didn't win when he got a prime Penny ? Your answer is because Hakeem lol. Thank you for seeing the light

Without Kobe playing great defense and playing the facilitator role during those WCF games . The Lakers wouldnt even advance to the Finals.

You mentioned guy like Tmac, AI , VC etc. Those guys play zero defense. Unlike them Kobe in his physical prime was a great lock down defensive player.

And Kobe > Tmac, AI VC even as second option
laugh.gif
29.ppg as a second option playing on the WEST conference vs SPurs, Kings Portland. Nuff said

You said Kobe was meh in 2001 . LOL you obviously didn't watch him. Here one of what he did against the SPurs http://www.youtube.com/wa...pnmAk2xU&feature=related

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]

and then against the Kings

[/td][/tr][/table]

But still in your view. Kobe was meh . What a troll you are
roll.gif

Again. Lebron is great than Jordan because he got 8 imaginary rings right ?

even if you discredit those first 3 rings he is still 2-1 over lebron and wade as a first option
pimp.gif

Kobe started 1996
Lebron and Wade started 2003
x6mvjl.jpg

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by ill steelo

roll.gif
roll.gif
I'm in tears b. You legitimately believe this
roll.gif
Tell me how is it not ? Are you saying the guy who pass the ball has the ability to make his teammate to convert the shot as well ? You can try to make the prettiest pass but if your teammate don't covert you don't get nothing. Example. You drive and kick the ball out to your teammate. He brick a wide open shot now what do you get ? Do you still get an assist if he miss ? How about if you set up a nice pass but your teammate get fouled and shoot free throw ? lol Do you still get assist for that ?  If player A has 5 assist per game vs player B got 7 assist per game. Are you saying player A don't pass the ball thus he only average 5 assist ?

You can't be that naive .
You can pretty much discredit any stat in basketball (or any sport for that matter). For an example, steals. You could argue that a player might have broken out of the defensive scheme to gamble on a ball that could potentially turn into a open shot attempt for the opposing team. You could say that about field goal percentage. A player might average 25% shooting during the first three quarters but during the 4th he consistently averages 80%. You're really just nitpicking. 
Yes you can discredit assist# because it's overrated. Steals is different as assist. I'm talking assist specifically here. And you read my example of how assist is overblown and can't be use to justify a player whether he pass the ball or not.

You don't get credit for assist if your teammate brick the shot . Another scenario even if you set up a nice pass if your teammate got fouled you still don't get credit.

pimp.gif

Kobe started 1996
Lebron and Wade started 2003
x6mvjl.jpg
Kobe as a first option didn't get a good team until 2009

Kobe as first option 2-3 in Finals

Lebron , Wade 1-3 lol
laugh.gif

Funny thing is Wade and Lebron is on the same team.

Tell me how is it not ? Are you saying the guy who pass the ball has the ability to make his teammate to convert the shot as well ? You can try to make the prettiest pass but if your teammate don't covert you don't get nothing. Example. You drive and kick the ball out to your teammate. He brick a wide open shot now what do you get ? Do you still get an assist if he miss ? How about if you set up a nice pass but your teammate get fouled and shoot free throw ? lol Do you still get assist for that ?  If player A has 5 assist per game vs player B got 7 assist per game. Are you saying player A don't pass the ball thus he only average 5 assist ?

You can't be that naive .
You can pretty much discredit any stat in basketball (or any sport for that matter). For an example, steals. You could argue that a player might have broken out of the defensive scheme to gamble on a ball that could potentially turn into a open shot attempt for the opposing team. You could say that about field goal percentage. A player might average 25% shooting during the first three quarters but during the 4th he consistently averages 80%. You're really just nitpicking. 
Yes you can discredit assist# because it's overrated. Steals is different as assist. I'm talking assist specifically here. And you read my example of how assist is overblown and can't be use to justify a player whether he pass the ball or not.

You don't get credit for assist if your teammate brick the shot . Another scenario even if you set up a nice pass if your teammate got fouled you still don't get credit.
Your response still doesn't justify your nitpicking. You can overrated almost any stat. PPG is an overrated stat. 

Thread needs to be changed to Where does Kobe Bryant rank amongst the top Lakers/Players of all time.  The Stans came out in orderly fashion fer this one.

Even I can say Kobe is a great player. But, let's be real. Put any wings back in the day with the force that was Shaquille O'Neal, and the results would have been the same. To say otherwise, is being blinded by Kobe fanism.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Even I can say Kobe is a great player. But, let's be real. Put any wings back in the day with the force that was Shaquille O'Neal, and the results would have been the same. To say otherwise, is being blinded by Kobe fanism.
Definitely, QFT. (Even though that's kind of a "what if" scenario so we don't know for sure what would happen with any of those wings, but I see where you're saying and I agree with you.)  
At the same time though, there is no denying that he is the greatest laker of all time…hell he's top 5 of all time period to me. When you look at what he's done throughout his career, it's almost undeniable. How anyone can dispute this is borderline hating imo

Knightngale, you say Danny Crawford gave lebron his first ring (which will always be speculation) but how about Tim Donaghy who is currently serving time for his role in gifting Kobe his third ring?

roll.gif

25 free throws in game 5
eek.gif

15.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.2 apg 36%fg%

34.7ppg, 7.8rpg, 3.8apg 46.8fg% & finals mvp

28.6ppg, 10.2rpg, 7.4apg 47.2fg% & finals mvp

one of these things is not like the other

roll.gif
for argument's sake, we all know for a fact that Wade's first title was in large part the result of a referee fixing the games though... 16 FT's a game?  Take that element away and they don't win that series and we don't include Wade's name in this debate, we'd be talking about how HE didn't earn his first either.

Back
Top Bottom