Making $2 million a year, how do you go broke? Vol: Scott Eyre sucks with money.

[h1]Phillies' help brings relief to reliever[/h1]
Feb 25, 6:27 pm EST

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP)-As a late-season pickup, Scott Eyre gave the Philadelphia Phillies three months of near-perfect relief on their march to a World Series title.

The team brought relief to Eyre on Wednesday.

Eyre is one of several major leaguers inadvertently caught up in the federal investigation of Stanford Investment Group. Securities and Exchange Commission officials raided the offices of R. Allen Stanford on Feb. 17 and froze the assets of three companies he controls, alleging he orchestrated an $8 billion investment fraud.

About a week ago, Eyre said, his wife's credit card was declined, and the pitcher realized he didn't have enough money to pay his monthly bills. His bank account funds are frozen as the government investigates.

After hearing their reliever's plight, the Phillies stepped in and advanced Eyre an undisclosed amount of his $2 million salary to hold him over until his Stanford account becomes available. Eyre said his only other bank account has a $3,000 balance.

"If we paid our bills, we wouldn't have any money," Eyre said. "I'll pay (the Phillies) back whenever I can I invested in (Stanford) three years ago (and) thought it was too good to be true - and it was."

Eyre isn't alone. Johnny Damon and Xavier Nady of the New York Yankees and Carlos Pena of the Tampa Bay Rays also have been affected by the Stanford scandal.

All four major leaguers have had some of their assets frozen by federal regulators. The players said they've been told by federal officials that their money is safe, but access to it is being blocked temporarily while the investigation proceeds.

Eyre, a 36-year-old reliever who went 3-0 with a 1.88 ERA for the Phillies after arriving from the Chicago Cubs in August, said he's bringing his story to the press to help other innocent victims who don't have the same avenues of help.

"It's not just the big people - not that I consider myself big - but there are people out there without a voice," Eyre said. "I didn't want this to be the 'Woe is Scott Eyre Story.'

"Thousands and thousands of people who invested their money in Stanford can't use their money right now. (They) can't pay their bills the only reason I said anything at all is because of the people that don't have access to media, so the government can realize (this is happening)."

Eyre, who during spring training stays with his family at his offseason home in nearby Bradenton, Fla., said several teammates also volunteered to cut him a check to help out.

Even though the team stepped up to help him, Eyre questions why the government took an action that has made life difficult for so many honest investors.

"I don't think they needed to freeze everything - that's just stupid," Eyre said.

"What sucks is there are people who invested with that (expletive deleted) Robert Allen Stanford's group. He's a billionaire. Does he really need to do a scam to make more money?"

Eyre isn't due to receive his first paycheck from the Phillies until after the regular season begins in April. ^NOTES: In the Phillies first exhibition game of the spring at Bradenton, reliever Joe Bisenius yielded four earned runs in one inning in an 8-2 loss to the Pirates Jamie Moyer, who started, threw two shutout innings while Raul Ibanez collected his first hit and RBI as a Phillie in the third inning Eric Hinske, who made the final out of last year's World Series when he struck out against Brad Lidge, is now with the Pirates. "I was hoping he'd throw a fastball, obviously," Hinske said, with a laugh, of the slider that ended the 2008 season.

Seriously, he needs to take lessons from my man Matt Bonner
pimp.gif

Bonner is a self-proclaimed "boring guy" who likes staying at home and reading. He drives a 2006 white Pontiac Grand Prix; in college he had a hand-me-down 1999 Hyundai while playing at Florida, where he had a 3.96 GPA in business administration. "They are jealous" of his ride, Bonner, 28, said of his teammates. "They know I can take any one of them off the line."

Despite making $2.978 million this year and $3.256 next year, Bonner remains frugal. Former Spurs guard Brent Barry, who is now with the Houston Rockets, remembers a time in Sacramento when Bonner was getting a snack at his favorite spot: Subway.

"Matt had a coupon for half off a sandwich, which said: 'Valid at participating stores only,'" Barry said. "The owner said we're not 'participating stores' and Matt was like 'Well aren't you a Subway? I walk outside and I see the name 'Subway.'" After 10 minutes, he talked his way to half off a turkey sandwich. He saved like $2.16."

Added Bowen: "It's not about what you make, it's about what you keep. He understands that motto perfectly."

hes not broke his money is froze...they gave him 2 mill to get by, i thought he you were implying he blew that 2 mill that was given to him

"Matt had a coupon for half off a sandwich, which said: 'Valid at participating stores only,'" Barry said. "The owner said we're not 'participating stores' and Matt was like 'Well aren't you a Subway? I walk outside and I see the name 'Subway.'" After 10 minutes, he talked his way to half off a turkey sandwich. He saved like $2.16."
That's ridiculous.

I don't think you can blame Eyre or anyone else who has gotten caught up in this mess one bit....do you realize the magnitude of what's going on w.SIG? I can see if you are blowing your cash or spending beyond your means, then you can call him stupid, dumb, or whatever....but in this case, he, like manyothers are victims of serious fraud. I feel bad for anyone who is losing some serious $ in this scam. They are just lucky that they are in a position wherethey can get cash advances from their employer to see them through these tough times. Hopefully, everything will work out.

let me guess you read the headline from yahoo and went with it.
his money got frozen

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

That's ridiculous.
Explain?
grin.gif

So because he is "rich" he shouldn't use coupons?
grin.gif

What's to explain?

The fact that he spent ten minutes disputing a coupon that wasn't valid in the first place is ridiculous.

No it isn't. He had a coupon and it should have been taken without conflict.

I would have (and have done) the same thing. If I was "rich" I would do the same thing

I think in the fine print on (most) coupons, they list what the participating stores are....if that particular subway WASN'T listed, I can see why themanager had beef w. Bonner.

I am sure that the coupon didn't have a list or Bonner wouldn't have made a case. It just probably said PARTICIPATING.

Hopefully Eyre is actually going to try and shed some light on the others who aren't as fortunate as he is.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
@ Matt B

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I am sure that the coupon didn't have a list or Bonner wouldn't have made a case. It just probably said PARTICIPATING.

exactly...therefore not all stores are obliged to participate. if they told him they weren't a participating store, then that's the end of story.he's lucky he ended up getting the discount.

alot of Subways are privately owned.

yes, Bonner was being ridiculous...reminds me of something my old man would do.
laugh.gif

i'll ask my dad "why you using coupons, and going thru this hassle to save some change? you got a lot of money."

and he'd say "that's why i got a lot of money."

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

hes not broke his money is froze...they gave him 2 mill to get by, i thought he you were implying he blew that 2 mill that was given to him
Which leads to he still sucks with money. If I was that rich, I wouldn't leave all of my money in one place.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Which leads to he still sucks with money. If I was that rich, I wouldn't leave all of my money in one place.
You just now realized you didn't actual read or understand the story, so you're backtracking and trying to justify it. Scott Eyredoesn't appear to be one of those athletes who is "broke" due to overspending or anything like that, he's just in a tough situation becauseof a mistake that more than a few people with money got caught up in. Can't necessarily fault him for that and say he sucks with money, IMO.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Exactly. Participating is voluntary.

The reason Bonner got to use the coupon is probably because the guy working the register didn't care.

Props to him, but that doesn't mean that the Subway was in the wrong for refusing the coupon in the first place.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
I remember when Matt was playing here with the Raptors and on Game Day he'd walk to the Game.

honestly someone didnt read the article
he didnt blow all his money or is flat broke
his assets are frozen and he cant get to them

That's why you're not rich

Back
Top Bottom