Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

He produced it of course he is gonna say that :lol:

Lol I mean what else is he supposed to say?

Chris Nolan is not one for hyperbole (the man doesn't even have or use a cell phone). He seems like the type to consider what he says & only answers if the thought is worth while which I find refreshing for someone in that industry. I love his cerebral nature.

I don't think he would let this project be anything less then great which is why he co-wrote the script, produced it, & chose Snyder to direct. If he's enthused about the movie, it's more then likely more to be a great movie.

I would take his statement to be genuine more so then it coming from the likes of a Michael Bay, a McG (does he really call himself that), Bryan Singer, or any of the other schmucks of that ilk. The films they make are hot trash.

If you don't understand that, well I guess there's nothing more I can say but cheers... :D

Last edited:
Even if a movie wasn't as good as a producer hoped, no way a producer will admit it before the movie is released. All that backtracking will happen after it's released and the negative reviews come in.

MAN OF STEEL REVIEW

I wonder if Henry Cavill's performance is better than Christopher Reeves..

That's gon' be difficult. Specially for those who grew up on the Christopher Reeves films. In my case, I'm keeping an open mind on the subject. But I'm really hoping Cavill pulls through so that the next generation would have their own "version" if Superman to grow up with.

Seems like dark knight still reigns supreme....honestly makes me feel bad for Heath's passing, dude didn't get to enjoy the praise for putting up probably the greatest super villain performance ever in a comic book movie.

I'm not reading the full reviews as it may contain spoilers but it seems like people were looking for a lot more or were expecting more from the film. Or are turned off by the new take and going away from the Reeves version that everyone loves? I really do not know.

I haven't seen it obviously so I can't say it myself but SR is at 76% and MoS is at 72% right now and no way this will be worse than SR.

I also think some reviewers might be turned off by the "too much action" part of the film which I think of us here on NT would love.

In comparison, RT has IM3 at 78% and I thought that film was much worse than that rating even if I didn't know who Mandarin was to begin with. Still too early though to really see what percentage it falls under on the RT scale.

Last edited:
Rotten Tomatoes' consensus

Superman's return to the big screen is mostly successful, as Man of Steel provides enough exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its occasional detours into generic blockbuster territory.

Skimming some of the negative reviews, it's like RFX said, their issues don't seem that serious. From what I've seen, the flaws they've mentioned aren't worrying me at all.

True. And we shouldn't let other people's criticism get in the way of us enjoying the movie. To each his own.

Read somewhere that MoS II has already been given the go signal by WB. If that's the case, where does that put the JL movie then?

Read somewhere that MoS II has already been given the go signal by WB. If that's the case, where does that put the JL movie then?

It is just "fast-tracked".

Although Man of Steel doesn't even officially open until later this week, Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros. has already set a sequel on the fast track to the big screen. Zack Snyder will return as director and David Goyer will be back as screenwriter but producer Christopher Nolan has not yet agreed to continue as a producer and may ultimately step aside to focus on alternative projects.

There really isn't much to it, I mean even after GL failed in the box office, WB also said they already commissioned a sequel and that they believed in it but nothing has come of it. WB does a lot of talking but until they start production, it is hard to take anything they say seriously. There must have been 20 Superman and JL re-writes to date and we still have no idea what is coming up next. :lol:

Aha. But about JL, it got the go signal right? I mean, is thre still a chance it gets cancelled?

It is never a guarantee even if WB set a release year of 2015.

Last I heard, the initial script for this newest JLA film sucked and it got scrapped and they are starting over again. There still isn't any director either or any casts, these all could go pretty quickly but I think the writing has to take some time. Lastly, it really all depends on MoS doing well in the Box Office. If this franchise hits the $1billion mark (not saying it will), it will likely be sure that Goyer & Snyder jumps ship for a JLA film and get on it right away for the 2015 release. But even then, WB might just want to go the safer and cheaper route of doing a Superman sequel instead.

It is never a guarantee even if WB set a release year of 2015.

Last I heard, the initial script for this newest JLA film sucked and it got scrapped and they are starting over again. There still isn't any director either or any casts, these all could go pretty quickly but I think the writing has to take some time. Lastly, it really all depends on MoS doing well in the Box Office. If this franchise hits the $1billion mark (not saying it will), it will likely be sure that Goyer & Snyder jumps ship for a JLA film and get on it right away for the 2015 release. But even then, WB might just want to go the safer and cheaper route of doing a Superman sequel instead.

Agree that doing the sequel is the safer route.

they should just reboot the green lantern franchise and go in an opposite direction. kind of like Hulk and The Incredible Hulk. Its never too early for a reboot these days

I think the GL franchise can be salvaged, I mean now that the origins has been established, they can just move on from there. Start with Sinestro as the main villain, maybe get Star Sapphire in there so we get Lively in a skimpy outfit and then get rid of the CGI suit and get a good writer and director and you are set. End it with a possibility of Hal becoming Parallax and you have yourself a cliffhanger people would die to see a sequel for.

Steve Younis' review of Man of Steel.

SPOILERS BEGIN HERE - No major spoilers are revealed, but some people may prefer to skip down a bit...
The scenes on Krypton were extremely well fleshed out. It felt like a real planet, teaming with life and history. It had a very science fiction feel about it, and the interactions between Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon were intense. I was extremely pleased to hear Jor-El utter the words that has been a classic line in every popular version of the Superman origin, "Krypton is doomed". Ayelet Zurer plays an emotional role as Lara, both strong in her convictions and love of her husband, while also vulnerable and heart broken over the choices they need to make for their infant son.

Those concerned about this simply being an origin story, that goes from Krypton to Smallville to Metropolis, need not be concerned. The Smallville sections are instead treated as flashbacks that show us key moments in the lives of all three Kents (Clark, Jonathan and Martha), and are inserted in such a way as to really lend weight to the story.

The much talked about tornado sequence is extremely emotional, and had us all in tears. You really felt for the emotional turmoil Clark has to endure throughout his growing years, which culminate in a decision that was both heart-breaking yet inevitable under the circumstances and lessons Jonathan had given him over the years. Kevin Costner was amazing in these sequences, and delivered a Jonathan Kent that (while not as endearing as Glenn Ford in "Superman: The Movie") shows his love for his adopted son through his strong words, forthright actions, and honesty.

I'm a big fan of Diane Lane, and she is amazing as Martha Kent. The warmth in her smile, the strength in her stare, the depth of the emotion she shows throughout the movie is infectious. You can't help but smile when she smiles, or cry when she cries. She and Henry work great together. You really feel the bond between them, and cheer for Clark when he defends his mother from Zod the way he does. It's the quintessential mother/son relationship.

Cooper Timberline and Dylan Sprayberry, who play young Clark Kent and teenage Clark Kent respectively, are excellent in their roles. Dylan is undoubtably a star of the future. He looks great on screen and delivers a solid emotional performance.

I've used the world "emotional" a number of times already, and the first third of this movie is definitely that, but there are also some lighter moments. Clark isn't the perfect goody-goody. Like any boy or young man growing up he has his moments of anger, jealousy, and petulance. He learns as he goes, yet his motivations and willingness to help are there from the very beginning. He just struggles with being different, wanting to know why he's different, but never regrets the fact that he is different. After all, he can do some pretty amazing things.

Clark's discovery of his Kryptonian heritage, and Lois' involvement very early on in that process is completely different to anything we've seen before, and some fans might not like this aspect of the story, but I think it works. It does remove the long-standing tradition of Clark Kent having to hide his secret identity from Lois Lane, but on the other hand it adds a layer of trust and importance to the relationship between these two beloved characters that we haven't seen before. I actually think Lois' character is better for it. She's impossible not to like. Amy Adams is amazing in the role. She's both feisty, energetic, aggressive, lovable, heroic, and embodies all the key aspects that you think of when you imagine what Lois Lane should be like. Her loyalty and integrity is unquestionable.

Henry is Superman! He embodies the role so well. He too takes us on a journey of so many emotions. His facial expressions impressed me. He's able to deliver so much in just the smallest of glances. From the simplest of smiles to the gut-wrenching screams, Henry delivers. You will not be able to stop grinning along with him when he thrills at being able to fly. You'll cry with him when he experiences loss. You'll cheer for him when he turns up just in time to save the day (and he does so so many times throughout the film).

Michael Shannon almost steals the show as Zod. He's larger than life, but in no way comes across as anything else but a true character, who believes in his personal convictions so strongly that he'll consider not alternative course but the one he has mapped out for himself and his people. He's a true Kryptonian loyalist who cannot stand by while those in power do nothing. He is uncompromising in everything he does.

If you had to give one word to describe the action in "Man of Steel" it would have to be "Destructive". I think there was more property damage in this movie than any other I've seen before. General Zod and the Kryptonians are ruthless and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Zod's Kryptonian passion is matched by Faora, his female companion. Antje Traue (who, when I saw her at the After Party is easily one of the most glamorous women I've seen) is mesmerizing in her ruthlessness. That could not have cast a more perfect actress for this role.

Some might complain that the action is hard to follow, and at times it does move so fast you almost don't see what happened. But we're talking about Kryptonians fighting with super speed. There's none of the slow-motion people have come to expect from a Zack Snyder movie. If anything, the action in "Man of Steel" moves faster than other films you might have seen. But it's an affective tool, as you really feel that you're watching super-powered beings fighting with the strength, speed, and power that a Superman fight should have. There are punches, throws, beat downs, body slams, and cape tugs galore. You won't be disappointed.

Laurence Fishburne is right on as Perry White. He's not only the tough, no nonsense editor we expect, but he's also the compassionate and sometimes heroic father-figure that has also endeared long-time fans to the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet newspaper.

Jenny (whose last name is never actually spoken), Steve Lombard, and other members of the Daily Planet are well used throughout. While Harry Lennix as General Swanwick and Christopher Meloni as Col. Hardy are also really likable characters. Especially Meloni, who gets a strong character arc that had fans cheering for him on occasions.

There will, without a doubt, be fans who will complain about the climax to the battle between Superman and Zod. It shocked me, but I think that was the point. Scotty and I discussed this at length afterwards, and we both agreed that this scene was dealt with exceptionally well. The drawn out suspense, the inevitability of it, and the emotional reaction from Superman afterwards... It works. I wanted to argue the point, but I really couldn't find fault with it. You'll see what I mean.

The music by Hans Zimmer is amazing. While not as iconic as the John Williams theme, the score is married to the movie so well that it carries the story along seamlessly. It builds and swells at all the right moments, lending spirit and emotion, while also adding drama and impact.

Zimmer appeared on stage at the After Party, accompanied by other musicians to perform themes from the movie. It was amazing.

Is it the best Superman movie ever? Maybe. I'm still a massive fan of "Superman: The Movie", but then I have seen it a hundred times and it was part of the fabric of my life for thirty years. But there's no doubt that "Man of Steel" is fantastic. It is a great Superman movie. It's a great movie... period. I have no doubt it will do well at the box office. It's a blockbuster movie with everything the average moviegoer wants in an action superhero film.

Superman fans will pull it apart, examining it from every angle. We'll argue over it for months and years. Some will call it the best thing since sliced bread. Others will complain about the costume, Lois' role, what happened to Zod, the amount of destruction, Clark Kent's actions, the secret identity, etc... But that's par for the course amongst Superman fans.

At the movie's conclusion (and sorry, there is no after credits scene), I immediately tweeted that I thought the movie was a 10 out of 10. Having had a night to sleep on it, I still think the movie is fantastic, and I cannot wait to see it again. I'd maybe re-adjust my score to a 9 out of 10, purely because I don't think there's really any movie that can be considered perfect. There are always things that maybe could have been done better (although I'm struggling to really find one solid complaint).

Last edited:
If they are going to use John Stewart then why the reboot? Hal, John, Kyle and Guy (Include Simon & Alan too if you want) has co-existed together in the comic.

Back
Top Bottom