Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

Gotta agree that Supes shouldn't be "dark". That's not Superman. It's like saying Batman should crack jokes when he fights. I'll reserve judgment until the movie releases though.

And that chick is Lois Lane? Maybe it's the pics, but she's very underwhelming.

Villains

General Zod
Michael-Shannon-1.jpeg

General_Zodjfdjdj.jpg

Faora
kinopoisk.ru-Antje-Traue-1144567.jpg

Faora_Hu-Ul.jpg

Film doesn't have to be about dark Superman but he can have some struggles within him to give him some other dimensions and from the IMAX plot description (which was pulled iirc) it seems like they can pull it off.

In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Henry Cavill) is a young twenty-something journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond his imagination. Transported years ago to Earth from Krypton, a highly advanced, distant planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question 'Why am I here?' Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Diane Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner), Clark discovers having extraordinary abilities means making difficult decisions. When the world is in dire need of stability, an even greater threat emerges. Clark must become a Man of Steel, to protect the people he loves and shine as the world's beacon of hope - Superman.

Nolan may not be directing but he was involved and his brother wrote it (also wrote TDK and TDKR) so in essence it'll be a mash up of decent storytelling from Nolan and great action sequences from Snyder. Snyder may not make the deepest or best films but the action scenes in 300, Watchmen & Sucker Punch was just amazing. Even Legends of the Guardians (yes, the Owl animation film) had good action in it. Let's be honest, Superman Returns is one meta villain (a villain he can battle outright and actually slug it out with) from being a much, much better and exciting film. Plot still isn't the best but pump it up with roided action and make that the result of Supermans injury and you got an entertaining film.

And from the footage description from the SDCC panel, it seems like the film will be filled with action so we are halfway there. Story is shaping up well too, seems like it has the same Nolan layers where the story could go to different places. And Snyder couldn't even confirm that Zod is the villain which gives me a feeling there might be another one he is hiding, maybe Brainiac is behind Zod all along. We shall see.

Originally Posted by solarius49

Not to mention dude playing Supes is a terrible actot

How do you know? I honestly seen him in one movie, the Immortals and he was pretty good in it, it was just the plot and premise that was terrible.
And that is pretty much the only movie he has been where he has a prominent role. I doubt any of us has seen or even remember seeing his little cameo roles to make judgement on his acting.

Oh I know Zod will be in the film, I just think there might be another. I mean that article is from the beginning of 2010, a lot could change by then if Nolan or Snyder thinks its better. I'm just curious why Snyder is still not admitting to Zod being the villain. Looks like it'll be partly armored Zod too because some pics that leaked has the guy playing Zod in some motion censor. 
34zhl3m.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

Film doesn't have to be about dark Superman but he can have some struggles within him to give him some other dimensions and from the IMAX plot description (which was pulled iirc) it seems like they can pull it off.

^What I was thinking. I think people using the word 'dark' describing the new Superman film might be a bad choice of words.  I'm thinking more real, or less campy.  From the description it seems like they're actually showing this Superman having internal conflicts with being Superman and he's more relatable (sp?) as a character.  Kinda how Nolan showed how Bruce Wayne became Batman in Batman Begins.  Also, seems like they're showing Superman being more tough and living up to the 'Man of Steel' moniker. 

Originally Posted by Cant Break The Unbreakable

Also, seems like they're showing Superman being more tough and living up to the 'Man of Steel' moniker. 

What I like that differs from the past Superman casting is that Cavill is actually built like the Superman from the comics. He is actually muscular and looks like he can actually lift heavy stuff and hurt someone.
apbibn.jpg
2qt8pp1.jpg

r7knx2.jpg

Finally saw the comic con footage, it looked
pimp.gif
. None of the slo mo crap I was afraid of from Zach Snyder

Originally Posted by chuxndunx

Too many Super Hero movies!

Great!

And I'm indifferent on the new costume but understand exactly why they got rid of the red undies. They have been trying to darken the blue for the longest time too. It's damn near Nightcrawler blue now.
laugh.gif

^What I was thinking. I think people using the word 'dark' describing the new Superman film might be a bad choice of words.  I'm thinking more real, or less campy.  From the description it seems like they're actually showing this Superman having internal conflicts with being Superman and he's more relatable (sp?) as a character.  Kinda how Nolan showed how Bruce Wayne became Batman in Batman Begins.  Also, seems like they're showing Superman being more tough and living up to the 'Man of Steel' moniker. 
well, I mean Bruce wayne is fairly easy to portray. I actually liked how Superman returns portrayed superman. He has to have that goodness about him, that the people can feel. We cant have superman brooding while saving the world. Personally, I dont want to have him have internal conflicts etc. It so overused nowaydays. Id much rather them be external and him have to overcome them. Make a great character that way. Of course it involves depowering superman so that he isnt sooo strong nothing affects him

Also, seems like they're showing Superman being more tough and living up to the 'Man of Steel' moniker. 

What I like that differs from the past Superman casting is that Cavill is actually built like the Superman from the comics. He is actually muscular and looks like he can actually lift heavy stuff and hurt someone.
apbibn.jpg
2qt8pp1.jpg

r7knx2.jpg

Superman can be portrayed in alot of way though, like the alex ross heavyset superman or even the Earth one superman who looks almost as skinny as spidey. what people mostly forget is that he gets his powers from the sun...so its not really about his body type
But eh its movies and im excited to see it done right 
pimp.gif

tumblr_m77ldhEzIL1qlva78o1_500.jpg

Compare n contrast og superman vs. now

Originally Posted by blakep267

well, I mean Bruce wayne is fairly easy to portray. I actually liked how Superman returns portrayed superman. He has to have that goodness about him, that the people can feel. We cant have superman brooding while saving the world. Personally, I dont want to have him have internal conflicts etc. It so overused nowaydays. Id much rather them be external and him have to overcome them. Make a great character that way. Of course it involves depowering superman so that he isnt sooo strong nothing affects him
 film
Being that it's an origin film, internal has to go first so that people can relate to him. Sequels then can deal with the other part once you get why Superman is the way he is, a boy scout. I think that has to be explained first, which was not really tackled well in the '78 film. It'll be like if Uncle Ben doesn't die in the SpiderMan, he just wouldn't be the SpiderMan that helps people out. I think this has to be Supermans version of why he should use his powers for good.

Originally Posted by Raffy53

apbibn.jpg
2qt8pp1.jpg

r7knx2.jpg

Superman can be portrayed in alot of way though, like the alex ross heavyset superman or even the Earth one superman who looks almost as skinny as spidey. what people mostly forget is that he gets his powers from the sun...so its not really about his body type
But eh its movies and im excited to see it done right 
pimp.gif

tumblr_m77ldhEzIL1qlva78o1_500.jpg

Compare n contrast og superman vs. now

Well we got the non-muscular Supes all of our lives on TV and Film so I think this is a good change. Plus most modern comics does have him a lot more muscular anyways.
jqm6nb.jpg

2q1e3k8.jpg

15rnkly.jpg

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Nolan set the bar for these reboots. Everything will be darker... the way it should be. Not that kiddy crap. This will be EPIC. Mark my words.
But it's kinda hard to make Superman a dark character. It's easier for Batman bc of the nature of the character. W/ Batman, u get excited to see the new gadgets and action scenes. W/ this I feel it's gon be them usin kryptonite half the movie to stop him from usin powers.

Originally Posted by DangerousG

Finally saw the comic con footage, it looked
pimp.gif
. None of the slo mo crap I was afraid of from Zach Snyder

Where did you see the footage? 

Couldn't get a good look on the leak I saw, but it definitely gets you amped. Love the score and the dialogue gave a very good sense impression of how the film will be approached. Can't wait to see the teaser with TDKR.

And although I love the suit, my main complaint is that it's just too dark. I don't mind giving Superman real issues to deal with, but the bright blue and red is an essential part of his persona to human beings. Batman is meant to be a frightening demon of the night, the suit should be dark. Superman is meant to be a majestic, god-like force, almost a beacon of hope for humanity, it should be brighter.

Back
Top Bottom