Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

I'll probably see this.

Something that has always intriguied me about big screen adaptations of comic books is the fans' need for it to be overly faithful to the comic book. I understand it to an extent, I suppose. I mean you don't want fundamental things going against what the hero typically did or didn't do. You wouldn't want Superman being a guy born in Detroit and now strapped with a gun. But there seems to be this weird need to defend the comic book's original intent to the point where it almost seems as if the comic book wasn't a work of fiction. Does that make sense? The superfans typically become up in arms over the slightest deviations over what is a fictional work. This isn't an adaption of The Autobiography of Mark Twain where Twain now has a jetpack. To me, part of the joy of fictional characters is the ability to use some artistic liberties with their story, outfit or whatever. It seems that fans really cling to their fiction as if it wasn't fiction in the first place.

This wasn't me ******** on comic book fans or anything like that. Just an observation.

Last edited:
it looks kinda slow for an action movie and a lot of talking.

You can't really judge how a film might be based on a trailer. Your seeing what the director & the producers want to market at the time. My take is since it's the first full trailer, they want to show people there's more than an action film here. My guess is we'll see more action related trailers perhaps at super bowl time or something...

Was secretly hoping we'd get a trailer with some new scenes rather than the Comic-Con one, but not complaining since I have only seen the shaky fan footage until now, so its' cool to finally see it in decent quality.

I do think I'm finally starting to warm towards Cavill though -been on the fence about him since day one, but he's definitely growing on me ...the suit too.

The obligatory "take off" sequence! 
smokin.gif

trailer looked fanmade with just leftover pieces from the first one. it didnt feel like a new experience.

The director is Snyder so there will surely be great action in store for us, even if it is toned down it'll still be epic action. 300 pretty much made that action/slow-mo action genre similar to the Matrix making the bullet time famous. I liked Sucker Punch though plenty hated it but one thing everyone could agree was the action sequences are awesome. In this film, Zod is actually punch-able so we will see him do much, much more than SR.

Plus did you see that Dragonball-esque-rock/earth-moving-rumbling-like-I-am-charging-my-kamehameha before he flew away? You can't have that and not have awesome action!
LL

Last edited:
Looks dope!

I love that Snyder seems to got that Superman needs to have a "god" like and regal presence.

I dont see anything to be excited about yet.
:smh:

cosign
trailer looked fanmade with just leftover pieces from the first one. it didnt feel like a new experience.

These.

Didn't make any new concerns, just held the tide. But I guess if you needed a Superman trailer, that's one that doesn't suck and has money shots.

Didn't make me feel two ways about Henry Cavill or Zach Snyder, but it doesn't look bad.

The fact that not much plot-wise is shown in the trailer is GOOD. SMH at some of y'all expecting major plot points to be revealed. The purpose of the trailer was to convey the overall tone of the movie and it did it well.

This trailer is incredible.

A complete, full two and a half minute trailer, that doesn't give away the entire plot, that focuses on images and shows you the tone of the film, that relies more on dialogue, and only shows brief but important images, of Zod, of Crowe, of him as a boy, and the bus, knowing that something major happened, while not spoiling ANY of it? :wow: :wow: :wow:

The Snyder imagery of the red boot walking on the snow, the cape flowing. The way the guards come in with their guns at the ready, and from a low angle all you see is his boot, plant, and pivot. :smokin

This movie has elevated my hopes greatly. If Nolan's writing team, and Snyder's vision for films can combine and give me 2 and a half hours as good as that 2 and a half minutes, we're looking at a film that will hold up next to the Nolan Bat trilogy. Not surpass, not erase, but hold, belong, fit. And 2-3 days ago, I didn't think something like that would be possible.

I can't wait.

A complete, full two and a half minute trailer, that doesn't give away the entire plot, that focuses on images and shows you the tone of the film, that relies more on dialogue, and only shows brief but important images, of Zod, of Crowe, of him as a boy, and the bus, knowing that something major happened, while not spoiling ANY of it? :wow: :wow: :wow:
The Snyder imagery of the red boot walking on the snow, the cape flowing. The way the guards come in with their guns at the ready, and from a low angle all you see is his boot, plant, and pivot. :smokin
This movie has elevated my hopes greatly. If Nolan's writing team, and Snyder's vision for films can combine and give me 2 and a half hours as good as that 2 and a half minutes, we're looking at a film that will hold up next to the Nolan Bat trilogy. Not surpass, not erase, but hold, belong, fit. And 2-3 days ago, I didn't think something like that would be possible.
I can't wait.

I have to completely disagree. the trailer shows way to much of the journey and not enough of Superman. If I didnt know better, Id assume Zod wasnt even in the movie. Youre trying to grab an audience. its like if a spiderman trailer showed just peter parker for 3/4 and then him as spiderman

Last edited:
I can't wait.

I have to completely disagree. the trailer shows way to much of the journey and not enough of Superman. If I didnt know better, Id assume Zod wasnt even in the movie. Youre trying to grab an audience. its like if a spiderman trailer showed just peter parker for 3/4 and then him as spiderman

I thought they showed plenty of Clark as Superman.

Plus this is an origin story so they have to focus on what made Superman, well Superman.

Remember the first IronMan movie and how little we got to see of IronMan, it is mostly Stark and him making Mark I? Then we just see a quick glimpse of IronMan being chased by fighter jets just to tease the viewers. Exact same thing, this trailer actually showed more Superman and even him about to clash with Zod, him walking on snow in his suit, being tossed to the bank vault, flying, charging up, holding Lois' hand, hugging his mom, etc.... I think more than half of the trailer he was actually Superman.

I'll say this much. You're forgetting that they need to get over the stigma of Superman Returns. That means explaining that this is a reboot, but not necessarily just an origin story. And that unlike Returns it'll have a real bad guy and action instead of Kevin Spacey yelling, a Maury paternity test and an island made of kryptonite. :smh:

If it wasn't for X3 and Spider-man 3, we'd still be talking about Superman Returns.

Last edited:
I can't wait.

How much of Batman did you see in the trailers?

How much of Joker?

You assuming Zod isn't in the film, in this day and age, is your fault. I don't mean that in a bad way towards you, I'm saying that you are not supposed to be handed, hey, this is Zod, he's just like Superman etc etc. No, you see the actor, we all KNOW Zod is in the film, we see the look, it's even similar to Terrance Stamp with a slight change in facial hair.

That preview gave me tingles. Him as a boy, asking, what was I supposed to do, let them die?

And his own father......"maybe".

And THAT doesn't pull you in? ****, my **** is hard as a rock right now. That is EXACTLY what Superman needs.

You saw all the destruction, the tanks, the armed men, him walking in custody, the vault, make no mistake, Superman will be around plenty. But we are starting over, and with that, the journey on how he becomes who he is, is being told. Probably not as in depth as 1978, but enough for us all to know.

I can't wait.

Yup, this is exactly what the trailer was trying to do. Seems like we're in the minority who actually get that. This is how trailers should be.

I thought they showed plenty of Clark as Superman.
Plus this is an origin story so they have to focus on what made Superman, well Superman.
Remember the first IronMan movie and how little we got to see of IronMan, it is mostly Stark and him making Mark I? Then we just see a quick glimpse of IronMan being chased by fighter jets just to tease the viewers. Exact same thing, this trailer actually showed more Superman and even him about to clash with Zod, him walking on snow in his suit, being tossed to the bank vault, flying, charging up, holding Lois' hand, hugging his mom, etc.... I think more than half of the trailer he was actually Superman.

but the difference is, IM was new to the big screen. Much like Spiderman and batman, the audience knows Supermans origins and probably doesnt really care. Me personally, I just wanna see Superman fight darkseid and kick some ***

and when I said he wasnt in the trailer, I meant in action. Hes walking around and not doing very superman like things ( besides the bank vault and the 2 brief glimpses of flying.) Thats what will sell the movie
I'll say this much. You're forgetting that they need to get over the stigma of Superman Returns. That means explaining that this is a reboot, but not necessarily just an origin story. And that unlike Returns it'll have a real bad guy and action instead of Kevin Spacey yelling, a Maury paternity test and an island made of kryptonite. :smh:
If it wasn't for X3 and Spider-man 3, we'd still be talking about Superman Returns.

See I dont think SR was bad. it just wasnt the right movie at the time.

How much of Batman did you see in the trailers?
How much of Joker?
You assuming Zod isn't in the film, in this day and age, is your fault. I don't mean that in a bad way towards you, I'm saying that you are not supposed to be handed, hey, this is Zod, he's just like Superman etc etc. No, you see the actor, we all KNOW Zod is in the film, we see the look, it's even similar to Terrance Stamp with a slight change in facial hair.
That preview gave me tingles. Him as a boy, asking, what was I supposed to do, let them die?
And his own father......"maybe".
And THAT doesn't pull you in? ****, my **** is hard as a rock right now. That is EXACTLY what Superman needs.
You saw all the destruction, the tanks, the armed men, him walking in custody, the vault, make no mistake, Superman will be around plenty. But we are starting over, and with that, the journey on how he becomes who he is, is being told. Probably not as in depth as 1978, but enough for us all to know.

You saw alot of Batman in the trailers. Joker not so much, but you did see enough of bane.

But also, Im looking at it from the casual movie goer, wher eyour looking at it from a fanboy persepective. The trailer is engaging for us, because we keep track of the films progress etc. But the avreage movie goer is going to see muted colors, a slow first half of the trailer and interesting glimpes towards the end

Last edited:
I'm not a fanboy tho. Never read a single comic book, ever.

I'm a film guy, I want a great FILM, not cool "action" or Superman doing Superman things. You think they gonna do a Supes movie and have him chill in a closet or some ****? One would safely assume that Superman will handle some work, no?

But you don't need to show that in the trailer, you need to show that their will be MORE, as in story, dialogue, intrigue, drama. You already know that the action/Superman things will be there, so why show that? You want casual viewers, you show them there's MORE than just a guy flyin in a cape.

And that's what this was. This was a TREMENDOUS preview. Didn't overdo Crowe, Zod, or even the lady we see from behind in front of all that chaos. Only glimpses, as it should be for a preview. Never show your hand too soon. :smokin

I'm not a fanboy tho. Never read a single comic book, ever.
I'm a film guy, I want a great FILM, not cool "action" or Superman doing Superman things. You think they gonna do a Supes movie and have him chill in a closet or some ****? One would safely assume that Superman will handle some work, no?
But you don't need to show that in the trailer, you need to show that their will be MORE, as in story, dialogue, intrigue, drama. You already know that the action/Superman things will be there, so why show that? You want casual viewers, you show them there's MORE than just a guy flyin in a cape.
And that's what this was. This was a TREMENDOUS preview. Didn't overdo Crowe, Zod, or even the lady we see from behind in front of all that chaos. Only glimpses, as it should be for a preview. Never show your hand too soon. :smokin

I didnt mean fanboy in a derogatory sense. But in the way that your following the production of the movie and keeping tabs on it

The bolded part is where I think our disagreement stems. Superman is the kind of thing that I dont want to be a "film". The best part about supes comics, cartoons etc is what he can do. So thats why I feel that it basically should be him doing cool things and fighting villains. lets also take avengers for example. They worked to the strong suit. Having the characters do super hero-y things with as little story as possible to cloud things up. Where as with Batman, the character only goes so far, so you need to have an intriguing villain and an engaging story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom