Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

I think Daredevil started the "darker" comic movies.

His tragedy, ripping his tooth out, I'm not the bad guy kid, hyperbolic chamber, the moodiness of it. To me that started the tone, BB just enhanced it, amplified it.

A little off topic but, I disagree with certain superhero movies being labeled "dark" in the first place. If the source material is supposed to be dark/tragic to begin with (Batman/Blade/The Crow/Watchmen/Sin City) it just makes next to no sense to then label their film adaptation to be "dark" all of a sudden. I mean, when you label the Adam West Batman series "camp", then that's a better assumption since it went from "dark" to "camp" when it was adapted to another medium.

This movie needs to have really good fight scenes that show off all of his powers. If it translates well on-screen i'll be happy.

I don't see how Man of Steel is dark? The trailer seems normal to me, it's looking good so far.

I think most people tag it as "dark" because of the Nolan connection and prolly the overall vibe to it when you compare it to the Christopher Reeves films.

"Darker" moreso than "Dark".

Supes was usually light and fluffy, feel good do gooder type stuff.

This appears to be a bit grittier, hence "darker" if that makes sense.

Nolan attended the Les Mis premiere the other night & was asked if Levitt or any other actor as Batman would make a cameo in Man Of Steel. Instead of just saying no, he said with a smile that he could not talk about that...Oh the intrigue...

http://movieline.com/2012/12/12/christopher-nolan-batman-man-of-steel-hugh-jackman/

But I'll get to that in a moment. Among the filmmakers who turned up to praise the Les Misérables star at the Museum of the Moving Image's salute to Jackman in lower Manhattan on Tuesday night was The Dark Knight Rises director Christopher Nolan who grew an enormous Cheshire-Cat grin when I asked him if the Superman reboot he is producing, Man of Steel, would see a cameo by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, or any actor, as Batman, and if he had any objections to a cameo as a continuity move to tie the Supes movie to the 2015 Justice League movie.
"I can't talk about that. You know that," Nolan said cheerily. I didn't know that, actually, but now that I do, I feel compelled to point out that, despite the frustratingly inconclusive nature of his answer, it's not a 'No.' Yes, JG-L's camp shot down the speculation as "entirely false" back in November, but if the idea had been ruled out, wouldn't Nolan be saying something along those lines, too, so that the fan boys could move on? You know how angry they can get when their casting hopes and dreams are suddenly deflated after being allowed to build for months.
The impish smile on Nolan's face as he issued that no comment also heightened my optimism, especially in the wake of the powerful Man of Steel trailer that's now burning up the Internet. Zack Snyder's take on Superman clearly aspires to have the kind of psychological heft and dark undertones that made The Dark Knight trilogy so satisfying. If the movie attains or even approaches those standards, a JG-L Batman cameo would not dishonor Nolan's work and it would set the bar high for Justice League . No pressure, Warner Bros.

Just a thought. Batman rarely appears as Bruce Wayne in JL right? So DC is kind of safe to cast JGL in the film as Batman but not name him Robin Blake/Bruce Wayne, right? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just a thought. But Batman rarely appears as Bruce Wayne in JL right? So DC is kind of safe to cast JGL in the film as Batman but not name him Robin Blake/Bruce Wayne, right? Thoughts?

Nah, even if he only removes his cowl for a few minutes in the film, Batman still has to be Bruce Wayne in the film, he just got to be. No matter how you look at it Bruce is unique in his thinking and no one else really compares. Dude has a plan/way to eliminate each member of the JLA if ever they turn or go rogue and that is all Bruce right there, it can't be Blake/Robin.

Blake as the next Batman really needs to be left in TDKR and even if he is cast as Batman in the JLA, he still has to play Bruce but obviously it'll be as if Nolans Batman never existed (which was the plan anyways or at least should be). But the problem is people will easily get confused because JGL is now Blake/Batman II/Robin and that is imprinted on the publics mind and it'll be difficult to say he is playing Bruce in JLA, completely separate and new from his character in TDKR.

I think they are simply wasting money and making it more difficult. I say throw a bunch of money at Bale and beg him to play Bats since that is what everyone wants anyways, even if it is an alternate dimension that has no relation to Nolans Batman at least we get the quintessential Bruce Wayne.

Just a thought. But Batman rarely appears as Bruce Wayne in JL right? So DC is kind of safe to cast JGL in the film as Batman but not name him Robin Blake/Bruce Wayne, right? Thoughts?

Nah, even if he only removes his cowl for a few minutes in the film, Batman still has to be Bruce Wayne in the film, he just got to be. No matter how you look at it Bruce is unique in his thinking and no one else really compares. Dude has a plan/way to eliminate each member of the JLA if ever they turn or go rogue and that is all Bruce right there, it can't be Blake/Robin.

Blake as the next Batman really needs to be left in TDKR and even if he is cast as Batman in the JLA, he still has to play Bruce but obviously it'll be as if Nolans Batman never existed (which was the plan anyways or at least should be). But the problem is people will easily get confused because JGL is now Blake/Batman II/Robin and that is imprinted on the publics mind and it'll be difficult to say he is playing Bruce in JLA, completely separate and new from his character in TDKR.

I think they are simply wasting money and making it more difficult. I say throw a bunch of money at Bale and beg him to play Bats since that is what everyone wants anyways, even if it is an alternate dimension that has no relation to Nolans Batman at least we get the quintessential Bruce Wayne.

My thoughts exactly. It's the confusion about which character JGL plays that's bugging me. But hopefully, Nolan doesn't go that route. Dude's smart enough to not mess up like that.

And I also agree that the one underneath should be Bruce Wayne. Those plans he had on the Tower of Babel arc were just straight filthy!

I completely agree.

Bruce Wayne is synonymous with Batman now and forever but what if WB's plan is to have JGL act as John Blake taking up the batman mantle but because he is not trained or as intelligent as Bruce he fails in some way; leaving the door open for Bruce to return as Batman? (Lol very ironic in a way)

If they play that angle I believe it can work. It would tie in Nolan's series with a new DC universe and not completely disregard it.

I don't see how Man of Steel is dark? The trailer seems normal to me, it's looking good so far.

I think when people say dark, they mean a more realistic way the movie is shot. The colors etc. the trailer seemed very gray, and had a grit to it. People dont mean itll have decapitations and crazy gore

I dont mind having bale back, but I wasnt the biggest fan of Nolans batman. I guess Im stuck on the animated series and dc animation version and how they portray him.

I completely agree.

Bruce Wayne is synonymous with Batman now and forever but what if WB's plan is to have JGL act as John Blake taking up the batman mantle but because he is not trained or as intelligent as Bruce he fails in some way; leaving the door open for Bruce to return as Batman? (Lol very ironic in a way)

If they play that angle I believe it can work. It would tie in Nolan's series with a new DC universe and not completely disregard it.

That is exactly why a Blake as Batman wouldn't work, dude isn't trained and disciplined by Ras and not just physically but also mentally. Bruce learned strategy and stealth from being trained by the League of Shadows, who the hell trained Blake, GCPD? Who were all stupid enough to get trapped in the tunnels?

But the thing is, Nolan isn't doing anymore Batmans and Bale said he won't return w/o Nolan so a loosely based story on Azrael-esque storyline where Blake is incapable of being a true Batman so Bruce/Bale returns won't happen.

I completely agree.

That is exactly why a Blake as Batman wouldn't work, dude isn't trained and disciplined by Ras and not just physically but also mentally. Bruce learned strategy and stealth from being trained by the League of Shadows, who the hell trained Blake, GCPD? Who were all stupid enough to get trapped in the tunnels?

But the thing is, Nolan isn't doing anymore Batmans and Bale said he won't return w/o Nolan so a loosely based story on Azrael-esque storyline where Blake is incapable of being a true Batman so Bruce/Bale returns won't happen.
I completely agree.

I completely agree.

I hope Nolan and Bale have a change of heart the next two years lol.

And that's why I thought it was stupid that JGL would still be Batman. He's not Batman, he's Nightwing. If you think the audience is too dumb to understand that Bruce Wayne should be Batman, or that they'd let it slide if John Blake became Bruce overnight, then I don't know what to say to you.

That's like making a new Pirates of the Caribbean and casting Orlando Bloom as Jack Sparrow.

And that just scratches at the problem of resolving the new JL world with Nolan's Gotham. TDKR becomes trivial and stupider in a world where Superman exists.

....of course this could be a genius bait and switch, where JGL pretends for a while, then Bale shows up in the JL movie...:wow:...but this is the studio that brought us Green Lantern, so I doubt it. :lol:

Last edited:
At first I was hoping they would go the "iron man" route with it and keep it light and entertaining but the teaser and trailer look great.

I don't really wanna derail the thread with Batman talk but since we're on the subject, I don't think Nolan would ever do a storyline where JGL fails as the new Batman, in his world JGL would absolutely succeed. It all goes back to the philosophy that he set up early on in the series. Think back to when Ra's Al Ghul was training Bruce. They go back and forth on Bruce's dad not being able to act the night his parents died, Bruce says "I've had training" and Ra's says back to him " Training is nothing, the will is everything. The will to act."

Last edited:
I don't really wanna derail the thread with Batman talk but since we're on the subject, I don't think Nolan would ever do a storyline where JGL fails as the new Batman, in his world JGL would absolutely succeed. It all goes back to the philosophy that he set up early on in the series. Think back to when Ra's Al Ghul was training Bruce. They go back and forth on Bruce's dad not being able to act the night his parents died, Bruce says "I've had training" and Ra's says back to him " Training is nothing, the will is everything. The will to act."

Well Nolan won't do anymore Batman movies and I think he is just a producer or co-producer in the JLA film. He might approve or dis-approve on the script but for the most part, he won't have much to do with the film.

Even the "will to act" is key, I think that is more metaphor than anything else on who Batman is. "Will" will push Bats to do what he needed to beat the bad guy but all of it is still not possible w/o the LoS' training.

Time to have JL thread. RFX, your thoughts?

No need for a JL thread yet I think, it'll just get buried or trolled by posts like Avengers > JLA or Marvel is better than DC because there isn't much details yet on the film other than Darkseid being confirmed as the villain and which JLA comic book arc the film will be based on.

I'm a huge Superman fanboy as most know so I am very excited to see Darkseid, it's good that they are going full force with the first movie since they are competing with the Avengers, I just really how it is done well and sadly, I don't think there are many directors out there that can pull it off like Whedon did to the Avengers and it'll be extra difficult because there won't be an origins story for each vital members. I still think they should have started with a Batman/Superman movie first and then move on to a JLA film. That should also give more time to maybe make origins films for other heroes like Flash or WW, although I believe WB is still shopping around a new WW TV show.

Time to have JL thread. RFX, your thoughts?

No need for a JL thread yet I think, it'll just get buried or trolled by posts like Avengers > JLA or Marvel is better than DC because there isn't much details yet on the film other than Darkseid being confirmed as the villain and which JLA comic book arc the film will be based on.

You're prolly right.

Saw this one from the NEWS ON FUTURE COMIC/MONSTER/E.T'S/NATURAL PHENOMENON/PARANORMAL BASED FILMS thread. Possible JL plot?

I was going to ask just that, if JGL could simply just be Bruce Wayne in the JL, and forget all about that John Blake stuff. But that would be tricky.

But you know, what's his name was Torch in Fantastic Four, and now he's Captain America, I mean, it's not impossible.

By the time it comes out, mid 2015, TDKR was 2012, maybe some of the people forget John Blake, and just go in open minded that he's Bruce Wayne now. Not ideal, but WB has already put themselves behind the 8 ball to begin with. They should have locked up Nolan/Bale years ago for a project like this.

Well Nolan won't do anymore Batman movies and I think he is just a producer or co-producer in the JLA film. He might approve or dis-approve on the script but for the most part, he won't have much to do with the film.

Even the "will to act" is key, I think that is more metaphor than anything else on who Batman is. "Will" will push Bats to do what he needed to beat the bad guy but all of it is still not possible w/o the LoS' training.

They de-constructed the theme of fear in TDKR (Bruce needing fear to rise from the pit) why couldn't Nolan do something similar?

I was going to ask just that, if JGL could simply just be Bruce Wayne in the JL, and forget all about that John Blake stuff. But that would be tricky.

But you know, what's his name was Torch in Fantastic Four, and now he's Captain America, I mean, it's not impossible.

By the time it comes out, mid 2015, TDKR was 2012, maybe some of the people forget John Blake, and just go in open minded that he's Bruce Wayne now. Not ideal, but WB has already put themselves behind the 8 ball to begin with. They should have locked up Nolan/Bale years ago for a project like this.

Chris Evans.

Back
Top Bottom