Marbury's Days In New York Numbered? Update: Leaves the team?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49153/20071113/marburys_days_in_new_york_numbered/

The customary postgame meeting between Garden chairman James Dolan and Isiah Thomas seemed to go on longer than usual late Sunday night in New York. Those sit-downs could be potentially harmful to a head coach. But in this instance, the discussion between Dolan and Isiah Thomas could mean the beginning of the end of Stephon Marbury.

A high-ranking team official told the Daily News that Thomas and Dolan have been in talks in recent days concerning Marbury's future. Knicks brass is considering what options it has to reduce Marbury's role or get rid of him entirely.

A trade is unlikely because Marbury, the team's controversial point guard, is scheduled to earn $42 million over the next two seasons. Dolan's and Thomas' history suggests that they would not rule out negotiating a buyout for Marbury, who then would become a free agent. At the very least, Marbury's minutes could be reduced substantially for as long as he remains on the team.

I've been a knick fan since early 03 But seriously if we trade marbury my channel will never be on msg again and I will forget the knicks even exist. Howcan they possibly try to pin the woes of the knicks on steph
smh.gif

why? what would be the point? then again, its the daily news...and if its frank isola...i prefere not take this article seriously

^stuff like that is why the entire board has you on ignore.

i'll believe this article when he's gone.......and that'll be in two years. we can't just get rid of steph, who will replace him?

Wow....How much sense would that make....
smh.gif

If I was a Knick fan I would be HEATED if this was true.....

Its just a dumb article.

Even if Marbs was traded, who would take him (2 yrs 40mil?). The contracts you get back would be worse.

He's gonna stay here until his contract is up.

From the season thread:

Come on now, we're gonna start Mardy at the 1? Nate?

I don't see the Knicks buying out Marbury, especially at a time where he seems to be playing with a selflessness that he's never played with.

Who knows, though. This is the same organization that gave Larry Brown like $50 million, then bought him out after 1 season.

steph for kobe.. straight up, no chaser.

laugh.gif

but yeah, i think james dolan and isiah thomas deserve to be gone loooong before steph does.

trade him to europe!!

Trade him to Europe like you traded for those IIIs? You seem to have an affinity toward anything involving the number 3 and being left with a bad taste in yourmouth.

Who knows, though. This is the same organization that gave Larry Brown like $50 million, then bought him out after 1 season.

Exactly. Even if Marbury's contract was bought out, the Knicks would save a whopping $2 or $3 million. It's better off to keep him. But outside of afinancial standpoint, Marbury has been playing well alongside Crawford AND Nate, and seems more than willing to defer to those two when they're playinggood ball. I guess you can say he's not worth the money, but the fans love him. Trading him would defintely leave a bad taste in the mouths of the frontoffice.

Also, almost ALL NBA long-term contracts are heavier at the tail end. Marbury is just one of many players who were deemed "untradeable" because theircontracts ballooned up in the final years.

I don't see the Knicks buying out Marbury, especially at a time where he seems to be playing with a selflessness that he's never played with.

Yeah this wouldn't make any sense to me at all. Now Marbury is playing well, has changed his game and you want to get rid of him?! This just sounds likea great deal of hype about nothing.

42 mil
eek.gif

Isaiah isn't even that bad of a talent evaluator but he completely lacks the ability to make fiscally responsible decisions.

Since when does anyone in the NBA or pro sports make "fiscally responsible decisions"? $1,000,000 to shoot basketballs?

No way they gonna buy out for his price unless he's willing to give them a HUGE discount.

He will still be a Knick til his last yr of his contract.

Unless someone on this team prove that they can run the team much better than him consistently, I don't see why you want to reduce his mins.

Originally Posted by Monta Ellis

42 mil
eek.gif

Isaiah isn't even that bad of a talent evaluator but he completely lacks the ability to make fiscally responsible decisions.

You are aware that Isiah didn't give Steph that contract, right?

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Originally Posted by Monta Ellis

42 mil
eek.gif

You are aware that Isiah didn't give Steph that contract, right?

exactly! ppl are quick to point the finger without knowing a thing. marbury is not going anywhere

Yup, it was the Suns who gave Steph that extension not Zeke....Isiah just ended up paying it though

In typical NBA fashion, it looks like Marbury will have made $153 million dollars when this contract is over and his age being only 32 years old.

What a life.

damn dude brigs a bad vib to the young players on my knicks. i miss the good old days with allan houston ewing starks charlie ward chris childs larry johnsonsprewell just that 90s decade

Back
Top Bottom